New Nikon D5000 & AF-S DX NIKKOR 10-24mm Released

looks pretty nice, but dont see the point in a moveable screen

i know what you're saying but , if i wanted to choose between Nikon or Canon and found out he was employed by Nikon i wouldn't be asking him
But who would you 'trust'? Magazine articles are just as likely to be biased by advertising revenue. Sales people in shops by commission/head office pressure/idiocy. Other users by the fact they are likely to ignore faults on the £1000 item they have just bought - or are frustrated that they have got something they perceive to be a lemon when it is not.

Personally I don't think 'trust' comes into it. I read, look, try and learn. Like most I prefer it when things fit my preconceptions, but know they don't always. And sometimes the surprise when you learn something totally new (to you) is really worth it.

looks pretty nice, but dont see the point in a moveable screen
Try holding a SLR really low down or very high up and taking accurate pictures....

It should give you another dimension - other than the one where you hold the camera to your eye for every shot.

But who would you 'trust'? Magazine articles are just as likely to be biased by advertising revenue. Sales people in shops by commission/head office pressure/idiocy. Other users by the fact they are likely to ignore faults on the £1000 item they have just bought - or are frustrated that they have got something they perceive to be a lemon when it is not.

Personally I don't think 'trust' comes into it. I read, look, try and learn. Like most I prefer it when things fit my preconceptions, but know they don't always. And sometimes the surprise when you learn something totally new (to you) is really worth it.

i think your probably reading to much into my initial question , I know nothing about this Kenrockwell guy and just out of interest wondered what he was like , I'm probably never gonna rely totally on his views for a purchase but just wondered where he fitted in so to speak ,

I think your right though regarding bias etc and do make my own decisions regardless of advertising hype / revenue etc

Looks like the best price for the D5000 is around £719 at the moment. Is that a good price when it looks like you may be able to pick up the Canon 500D for £680?

bear in mind thats less than £40 so not really a deal breaker (IMO) on that sort of money. Also the d5000 (don't know about the eos 500) isn't on the shelves anywhere so pre order at this stage doesn't really reflect what the camera will sell for

Well at the price they are asking its not a replacement for the D40 or D60.

Price seems very high IMHO.

Looks like the best price for the D5000 is around £719 at the moment. Is that a good price when it looks like you may be able to pick up the Canon 500D for £680?
Firstly, you're not comparing like with like. The D5000 price is from one of the best known and reputable UK retailers. Look at what they're asking for the 500D and you'll see it's a lot more.

Secondly, these are only pre-order prices. Nobody with any sense will pay that much. This subject came up when we were discussing the 500D price the other day. Here's what I said then:
I was in my local Jessops the other day chatting to the branch manager about this and that, and we came onto the new 500D. (I bought my 350D from him three years ago next week, so it's become 3 generations out of date - or 3½ or 4 generations if you include the 1000D - in less than 3 years!)

Here are some Jessops prices:
50D: body-only £849, with 18-200 lens £1199
500D pre-order: body-only £869, with 18-200 lens £1399

Is the 500D a better camera than the 50D? Of course not. Will these prices persist? Of course not. They're just the pre-order prices. Once the camera is actually available, they'll come down quite quickly.

He explained it to me as a sort of stupidity tax. We all know that there are people out there - and on this forum - who absolutely must always have the newest camera. Not because they need it or because it's the the most appropriate solution for them, but simply because they want the newest toy and the bragging rights to go with it. Any sensible person would buy the 450D or the 50D or wait for the 500D to come down in price. So Jessops think the people who would pay that price to pre-order the 500D are fair game. It helps their profits and it helps subsidise the rest of us. I don't have a problem with that.

Back