Beginner New Nikon D7100 recommendations please

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
hi all I now have my new D7100 could somebody please point me in the right direction for a decent battery grip I know the Nikons are super expensive compared to the 3rd party offerings but I reckon what i save on a half decent battery grip could help finance a new lens also I am in the market for a spare battery so any advice would be welcome albeit I would much prefer a Nikon original but am reading many scary stories of batteries that actually look the part but are far from original so any and all advice would be gratefully received and if there are any alternatives that are worth noting I would love the chance of saving a few quid many thanks for all the valuable input i have taken onboard since joining this forum

Hi Dave, I've used the Meike ones in the past with no issue. However having kids and reading/watching the horror stories about cheap batteries, I am now in 2 minds my self when it comes to spare batteries and a grip. I'm thinking of a Meike grip, and possibly a duracell battery as it's at least a name I have heard off.

People on this forum are great, and I'm sure someone will be along shortly to offer more advice as well.

Hi Dave, I've used the Meike ones in the past with no issue. However having kids and reading/watching the horror stories about cheap batteries, I am now in 2 minds my self when it comes to spare batteries and a grip. I'm thinking of a Meike grip, and possibly a duracell battery as it's at least a name I have heard off.

People on this forum are great, and I'm sure someone will be along shortly to offer more advice as well.

hi mcneep i ended up getting the dste version of the grip with 2 batteries for £48 from ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281322359500?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT i did my research and there are many who rate the dste version there is also an indepth youtube review where the poster takes one apart to show the inner workings item should be here in a couple of days will update when it arrives with my initial opinion

Likewise - I went with the DSTE grip- one year on no worries or issues with grip or batteries

I have used Meike grips and they are pretty good for the price.

I have a generic grip on mine and a battery from 7 day shop.

It is super heavy with a BG on, so i rarely use it.

I've one of the generic grips and don't use it much but it's useful when I do need it. It comes into it's own on a long shoot so I don't have to change the battery but it's lighter to carry spare batteries. I do use it for time lapse where changing a battery isn't convenient. I didn't find mine a particularly good fit to the base of the 7100 with a little flex into the bargain.

Back