New Nikon sir camera

Name
Kevin
Edit My Images
Yes
I have had a Nikon d200 for many years now and been very happy with it but finally old age is catching up with me and my eyesight is getting worse and consequently I can' see if the subject is in focus any more.

Im looking for advice on a simular or slightly better replacement Nikon dslr camera with a livescreen.Has to be a Nikon as I have a few lenses and ideally takes 5 or 6 frames a second.Can be a slightly older model as I'm happy to buy second hand.

Many thanks

Hi Kevin,

I don't know anything about the d200 so these musings might not be relevant.

What subjects do you photograph and how do you use your existing camera? I mean are you shooting sports through the viewfinder with autofocus, or landscape with manual for example?

If you want to do sports I'd suggest a nice big bright viewfinder with a good autofocus. Make sure you set the diopter adjustment correctly, point it at a blank sky and adjust until the crosshairs are sharp. I'd argue with good autofocus it does not matter too much if you can tell or not, just get the centre point on subject and blast the frames off then select the best back home on the computer.

For live view in my opinion Canon implement this better than Nikon, but maybe you would be best popping into a camera shop and trying out a modern Nikon in live view to find one you are happy is a significant upgrade for you.

Alternatively keep the d200 and buy a new pair of glasses, but that's no fun!

:welcome: to TP!

Your D200 has is AF, Kevin, isn't it? I don't get it!
Aren't your lenses AF too?

Hello.

Are you referring to rear screen preview?
If so, most all newish slr cameras have much bigger and higher resolution lcd's.

In my personal experience no lcd screen will beat a viewfinder .

I'm 55 and my eyes are not great, I wear glasses for reading, but not for every day use. Last year I bought a DSLR precisely because I wanted an optical viewfinder, and I find I can use it, without glasses, quite easily, by just adjusting the little wheel next to the viewfinder to make it as sharp as I need. I can't use live-view (rear LCD screen) without my glasses, so I never know till I get home whether I've shot a load of out of focus pictures or not, but it's not the viewfinder that inhibits me.

In general I'd say if you wear glasses all the time you can use the viewfinder with glasses, if you don't wear glasses all the time you can use the viewfinder without glasses as well. I don't think shooting via the rear LCD screen is going to be any better than viewfinder.

If you want to stick with Nikon (and you have existing DX lenses for your D200) you're looking at the D7200 (6fps), D7500 (8fps) or all the way up to the D500 (10fps).

Using the rear screen is not great as autofocus is sloooooooooowww, even on the most recent Nikons. It's a bug bear of mine, there's no real excuse for it these days. You can buy viewfinder attachments that magnify the image to help you see better.

Back