New Nikon Z (zee) 7 Mirrorless.

Yeah I feel the same, but it's happening, they are having their say and being listened to. They have already changed what matters when it comes to new models. When do photographers ever need a front facing LCD? very rarely if ever. How many times do we make use of 4K? again, very rarely unless you're a vlogging photographer

They shouldn't be listened to ime, they are only (bad) salespeople pushing a product they get the most kickback from. Its not an honest opinion. So many "reviewers" cant even get the specs right or dont even understand basic photography concepts.

Last edited:
They shouldn't be listened to ime, they are only (bad) salespeople pushing a product they get the most kickback from. Its not an honest opinion. So many "reviewers" cant even get the specs right or dont even understand basic photography concepts.

That's reviewers more so than vloggers, and they are listened to because they are the ones buying all the new gear, and their 'fans' go buy same. We don't like it because a lot of the new bells and whistles nonsense doesn't matter to us. Like I said in the other thread, the likes of Casey neistat turned many people's minds around on the 6D mkii because he started using it for his vlogs. He has a whole production team for his vlog, his videos have insane editing, multiple angle drone shots mixed in with multiple b roll camera footage. But younger viewers in particular think they can be like him if they use the same camera. They all think they can be the next millionaire YouTube star. And they are heavily influenced by the guys that have already made it.

That's reviewers more so than vloggers, and they are listened to because they are the ones buying all the new gear, and their 'fans' go buy same. We don't like it because a lot of the new bells and whistles nonsense doesn't matter to us. Like I said in the other thread, the likes of Casey neistat turned many people's minds around on the 6D mkii because he started using it for his vlogs. He has a whole production team for his vlog, his videos have insane editing, multiple angle drone shots mixed in with multiple b roll camera footage. But younger viewers in particular think they can be like him if they use the same camera. They all think they can be the next millionaire YouTube star. And they are heavily influenced by the guys that have already made it.

Like bloody X factor

Nikon are not tied to Sony, and have bought sensors from other sources for some of there DSLR's. Sony Semiconductors are a separate company to Sony Imaging under the Sony corporation umbrella afaik. Nikon also sometimes designs it's own sensors or refines other designs to their own specification, and are one of their largest customers, and have also been one of the customers they have had the longest. If Nikon are tied to Sony for sensors then so are a lot of the mobile phone companies and a few other camera companies too, as Sony sensors for a lot of them.

I went on the Canon Rumo(u)rs site last night to see how far away a Canon FF mirrorless may be, because it is obviously being started to be mentioned because of these Nikon camera, and they are saying maybe the middle of next year. :eek: It will give them time to evaluate what Nikon have done right or wrong, but that is a lot more time to catch up imho. :rolleyes: Sony could have version IV's out by then. ;) :LOL:

Nikon are not tied to Sony, and have bought sensors from other sources for some of there DSLR's. Sony Semiconductors are a separate company to Sony Imaging under the Sony corporation umbrella afaik. Nikon also sometimes designs it's own sensors or refines other designs to their own specification, and are one of their largest customers, and have also been one of the customers they have had the longest. If Nikon are tied to Sony for sensors then so are a lot of the mobile phone companies and a few other camera companies too, as Sony sensors for a lot of them.

I went on the Canon Rumo(u)rs site last night to see how far away a Canon FF mirrorless may be, because it is obviously being started to be mentioned because of these Nikon camera, and they are saying maybe the middle of next year. :eek: It will give them time to evaluate what Nikon have done right or wrong, but that is a lot more time to catch up imho. :rolleyes: Sony could have version IV's out by then. ;) :LOL:

D40: 6 MP CCD Sony
D40x: 10 MP CCD Sony
D50: 6 MP CCD Sony
D60: 10 MP CCD Sony
D70: 6 MP CCD Sony
D80: 10 MP CCD Sony
D90: 12 MP CMOS Sony
D7000: 16 MP CMOS Sony
D7100: 24 MP CMOS Toshiba
D7200: 24 MP CMOS Toshiba (source)

D3000: 10 MP CCD Sony
D3100: 14 MP CMOS Nikon
D3200: 24 MP CMOS Nikon
D3300: 24 MP CMOS Sony

D5000: 12 MP CMOS Sony
D5100: 16 MP CMOS Sony
D5200: 24 MP CMOS Toshiba
D5300: 24 MP CMOS Sony (?)
D5500: 24 MP CMOS Sony

D100: 6 MP CCD Sony
D200: 10 MP CCD Sony
D300: 12 MP CMOS Sony

D600: 24 MP CMOS Sony
D610: 24 MP CMOS Sony
D750: 24 MP CMOS Sony

D700: 12 MP CMOS Nikon
Df: 16 MP CMOS Nikon

D800/D800E: 36 MP CMOS Sony
D810/D810A: 36 MP CMOS Sony
D850: 45MP CMOS Sony

D1: 2.7 MP Sony
D1h: 2.7 MP Sony
D1x: 5.47 MP Sony
D2h: 4 MP LBCAST Nikon
D2x: 12 MP CMOS Sony (Nikon designed)
D3: 12 MP CMOS Nikon
D3s: 12 MP CMOS Nikon
D3x: 24 MP CMOS Sony
D4: 16 MP CMOS Nikon
D4s: 16 MP CMOS Nikon

Like bloody X factor

Yeah, I just rolled my eyes last night when our 14yr old excitedly announced that it was back on the 1st. She will actually be counting the days until it is back, shows like that do my head in but what can ya do? We're old gen now, all my music is considered Dad rock o_O

Interesting the d700 and d4s both Nikon and 2 of my fav cameras

The 4 Nikon bodies I've owned all used Sony sensors, interesting. D80 [only had on loan really] D200, D90, D800E.

Where's my D300S and D500? ;) :LOL:

Yeah I feel the same, but it's happening, they are having their say and being listened to. They have already changed what matters when it comes to new models. When do photographers ever need a front facing LCD? very rarely if ever.

I use a front facing live view rarely, but importantly, for group shots of family and friends which include me, and for shots in which I demonstrate some procedure. I also find other uses for a fully articulating live view. But it could be replaced by a live view transmitted to a smartphone.

I use a front facing live view rarely, but importantly, for group shots of family and friends which include me, and for shots in which I demonstrate some procedure. I also find other uses for a fully articulating live view. But it could be replaced by a live view transmitted to a smartphone.

A lot of modern cameras now have wireless that connects to an app on your phone, this can be used to frame when you're in the shot. I have an articulated screen on my current camera, and it irritates me more than I find it useful. I wish one of these manufacturers would come up with a decent dual swivel system so you can choose what suits best

A lot of modern cameras now have wireless that connects to an app on your phone, this can be used to frame when you're in the shot. I have an articulated screen on my current camera, and it irritates me more than I find it useful. I wish one of these manufacturers would come up with a decent dual swivel system so you can choose what suits best
Best tilt/swivel screen I’ve used was on the A77 and A77-2, no idea why it’s not caught on tbh.

Best tilt/swivel screen I’ve used was on the A77 and A77-2, no idea why it’s not caught on tbh.

That's right, I was trying to think what camera it was, think you posted it in the past? It did add bulk, but surely someone has refined the concept by now

He's not wrong

When someone spews out as much endless crap as that guy, it's impossible to not to be right occasionally. He always reminds us when he is, but has forgotten to mention that only a few days ago he was predicting the over-size Z-mount was to accommodate medium format, and that he was the only person smart enough to spot it.

Not that you need a huge lens mount for larger formats, only for huge apertures, but don't let the facts spoil his click-baiting.

ps And why is the sad fool sitting in his kitchen when the rest of the media world is on an international VIP junket to Nikon Tokyo?

When someone spews out as much endless crap as that guy, it's impossible to not to be right occasionally. He always reminds us when he is, but has forgotten to mention that only a few days ago he was predicting the over-size Z-mount was to accommodate medium format, and that he was the only person smart enough to spot it.

Not that you need a huge lens mount for larger formats, only for huge apertures, but don't let the facts spoil his click-baiting.

ps And why is the sad fool sitting in his kitchen when the rest of the media world is on an international VIP junket to Nikon Tokyo?

I'm not here to defend him in anyway, so you're asking the wrong person. Why is he not with all the shills? hmmm ....

I'm not here to defend him in anyway, so you're asking the wrong person. Why is he not with all the shills? hmmm ....

Same here, not for or against, but ultimately it’s his channel and, within YouTube’s guidelines, his content.

but it's good to see the likes of Nikon and hopefully canon getting into the Mirrorless market.

Unless I’m mistaken, Canon are already in the mirrorless market.

In fact if I remember correctly they’re the worldwide market leaders. For context Sony outsell Canon mirrorless in North America, but only there.

And yes I know you probably meant FF, but everyone else is comparing the Z to Fuji and m4/3,

It’s safe to be fully expecting a Canon FF mirrorless either very soon or early next year (their typical release cycles)

Why is there an obsession for Nikon to make or should I say be expected to make FF mirrorless. Wouldn't making APS-C first be a better option. By selling to the consumer market (because I don't think ff is a big consumer market), sell a load, get some feed back, develop the product and then start making inroads in to a ff camera.
Is it just that Nikon has left the whole mirrorless development too late and now doesn't have time to start with consumer camera's?

Albeit with an inferior sensor :exit: ;)
That’s oddly selling more than all the ‘superior’ cameras.

There’s a serious lesson here for getting ‘the internet’ in context.

No one online who doesn’t own a Canon mirrorless Camera takes them seriously at all. Even @woof woof who loves all things mirrorless considers them a failure.

Yet bizarrely they’re outselling Sony, Olympus, Panasonic, Fuji and Leica workdwide?

So whilst the online world is going into meltdown about ‘a single card slot’ I reckon thousands of ‘people’ are pre ordering the NIkon Zee

One card slot is a mistake.

Big lens mount is big benefit.

But when are these camera makers going to realise that the thing that is going to sell cameras for them is - having the ability to send a photo from the camera as quick as a phone camera can do it.

Why is there an obsession for Nikon to make or should I say be expected to make FF mirrorless. Wouldn't making APS-C first be a better option. By selling to the consumer market (because I don't think ff is a big consumer market), sell a load, get some feed back, develop the product and then start making inroads in to a ff camera.
Is it just that Nikon has left the whole mirrorless development too late and now doesn't have time to start with consumer camera's?
This is how I see it...

It’s because Sony are taking chunks out of the pro DSLR market.

Mirrorless vs DSLR sales in the massive consumer market are interchangeable, because those buyers are just buying ‘a camera’ and whether it has a mirror is irrelevant to them, so people are choosing a d3400 or G5 based on marketing and reputation, not whether it has a mirror. But some pros and serious enthusiasts are now choosing to go mirrorless and that is moving sales from DSLR to Sony (as it’s the only game in town), they’re making an informed choice.

As above, Canon have more than a foothold in the mirrorless camp, but they really do have a need to release a FF one to stay in the game.

So I suppose as most things in the camera market (well most markets) is marketing and that some manufacturers have left it too late.

That’s oddly selling more than all the ‘superior’ cameras.

There’s a serious lesson here for getting ‘the internet’ in context.

No one online who doesn’t own a Canon mirrorless Camera takes them seriously at all. Even @woof woof who loves all things mirrorless considers them a failure.

Yet bizarrely they’re outselling Sony, Olympus, Panasonic, Fuji and Leica workdwide?

So whilst the online world is going into meltdown about ‘a single card slot’ I reckon thousands of ‘people’ are pre ordering the NIkon Zee
My comment was very much tongue in cheek, hence the emojis ;) (y)

......but it's good to see the likes of Nikon and hopefully canon getting into the Mirrorless market.

Good thoughts but you seem to have forgotten the Nikon 1 Series..... it died because the Press slagged it off. A Nikon crafted sensor with awesome image quality. The power of the Media can be quite damning and destructive to a product and reputation.

In most the reviews the last thing to be mentioned is IQ - surely the end result is far more important then the 'journey'?

Best tilt/swivel screen I ever used was on the Sony DSC-R1, which came out in 2005. The best of the later Sony DSLRs never got as far as swivelling. It was the A77, their top of the range SLT model after they'd moved on from the flapping mirror of the DSLR to the semi-mirrorless hybrid SLTs, which first had a fully articulated screen, well nearly fully articulated, not quite as good as the R1 had. But to be fair, you can't duplicate the simple articulation of the top-mounted R1 screen with a big one which folds out from the back.

I like the A77's screen articulation so much it's going to be very hard to persuade me to upgrade to any camera model which isn't at least as good as that.

Back