New (old?) colour negative film...

ChrisR

I'm a well known grump...
Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
So there's this weird article on PetaPixel and other places about a lomography film, available for a limited time.

Back in 2010, Lomography purchased a giant “master” roll of 400 ASA film from a group of renowned Italian filmmakers — the group was pulling out of the film production business, and this was the last master roll ever made. Instead of chopping it up into 35mm film strips and selling the film immediately, Lomography decided to get experimental.

The company placed the film inside oak casks and allowed it to age under ideal conditions in the Czech Republic. 7 years later, Lomography recently shipped the film to Vienna, packaged it into 35mm film rolls, and took a taste peek.

I did wonder if the "group of renowned Italian filmmakers" was the old Ferrania...

They are selling it a not entirely unreasonable price (£26 for a 5 pack, IIRC) but they charge £7 for delivery unless you buy quite a lot. (It was a bit of a shock to see the delivery price as 7 Euros, or 7 dollars, or 7 pounds!) Case for a group order if there's any interest? Those going on the Oxford meet perhaps (sadly not me)?

Count me out, the drive belt snapped on my 1960s Hanimex slide projector and I've not been able to find a new one!

Edit: ^ Damn, that was supposed to appear in the B&W reversal film thread! Dho! :facepalm:

Last edited:
How on earth did they determine the 'ideal' conditions for aging film in oak casks? All the more baffling that the product page recommends storage in a fridge. Why not packed tightly into an old cigar box, wrapped in muslin and buried under an oak tree next to a kipper during the full moon?

Why not packed tightly into an old cigar box, wrapped in muslin and buried under an oak tree next to a kipper during the full moon?

Surely you must be confusing the storage of film with the method of storage for boiled egg and Bovril butties? ;) :D

Aged.......in Oak Casks ???

So this now Jack Daniels 100 then

The first few frames will be sharp, gradually getting fuzzier and fuzzier till blank at the end of the roll

what do we soup it in........alka seltzer ?

Aged.......in Oak Casks ???

So this now Jack Daniels 100 then

The first few frames will be sharp, gradually getting fuzzier and fuzzier till blank at the end of the roll

what do we soup it in........alka seltzer ?

You forgot the bit about it turning into stereo vision before going blank! ;) :D

"The company placed the film inside oak casks and allowed it to age under ideal conditions in the Czech Republic"

FFS it's nothing more than colour film that's been fridge stored

I think I'll go LOMO (Love Of Mindless Opportunities):D

I may come up with a more apt meaning for lL.O.M.O but for the moment that will suffuce:p

LOMO.... Lots of Monetary Opportunities :)

I reckon Vista left in a hot car for a week would be just as good!

Agreed but that just aint gunna happen with your present climate:ROFLMAO:

Says him who is presently watching torrential rain batter his windows here in France:confused:

Agreed but that just aint gunna happen with your present climate:ROFLMAO:

Says him who is presently watching torrential rain batter his windows here in France:confused:

Nice sunny day near London and temp about 10c (y) but tomorrow (n)

Don't you have too many years to still be having thoughts like that?:naughty::D:D

:D Dave Allen used to come out with some very good one-liners "it takes me all night to do what I used to do all night".....hey we need an "Asha and Brian off topic thread" when we stray o_O

Back