• compulsivehordr

Votes: 5 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Name
Andy Grant
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok, something pastoral and calming or a busy river port, you choose.

Usual rules apply:-

• Must be taken by you
  • Must be made on film
  • Must have been taken, developed and scanned prior to the start date
  • Feel free to include details of the camera, lens, emulsion and anything else of relevance if you wish.
  • One Entry per person

Entries in and submitted by 11.59 pm on the 25th April and the poll will go up shortly after for 3 days

Last edited:
Well having a canal not far away and have stacks of shots but an old shot taken in 1968 is what my family would find more interesting and like......1968 Pentax S3 and 55mm lens

ZeP97Wq.jpg

ps-ryde-2.jpg

The remains of paddle steamer PS Ryde which used to run the passenger service between Portsmouth and Ryde. Now sitting in mud, it is now more rust than metal. After a second life as the floating nightclub The Ryde Queen in the 1980s, it has now sat neglected for the last thirty years on the river Medina on the Isle of Wight. Due to be removed and scrapped very soon.

Mamiya RB67 - Ilford FP4+

Last edited:
Workers' Memorial Day is Sunday 28 April this year. From the Russian camera challenge of 2017, this was on a Kiev 4a with 50mm lens, Poundland Agfa & Filmdev.

000012690021-copy-tp2.jpg

From the Inverness Courier:

AN evocative memorial recalling those who have died at work has been installed in a prominent riverside spot in Inverness.

The Caithness stone structure, which incorporates seating, was set to be unveiled on International Workers’ Memorial Day earlier this year but a crack in the stone meant it had to be postponed to enable repairs to be carried out.

It is understood to be the only such memorial with an English inscription – Remember The Dead – Fight For The Living – plus Gaelic wording.

Its installation at Friars Shott has been welcomed by retired trade unionist and construction worker Bill Anderson who had long campaigned for the memorial.

“It is there in a place where people who have lost a loved one or a friend at their place of work can sit and reflect,” said Mr Anderson, a former member of the Inverness and District Trades Union Council.

“It doesn’t matter which country they are from. It is a worldwide thing.”

I thought I'd go for a unique, historical image, rather than one with any artistic merit. This is the Singapore River in August 1971, taken with the Pentax Spotmatic I had just bought, during a stopover on the way out to Australia for a 2 year contract that turned into a 20+ year sojourn. The Singapore River looks nothing like this at all these days; the sampans were unceremoniously shunted off somewhere else and everything you see below has been re-developed!

CN71Dferr07t Singapore River.jpg

Not at all sure what the film was; something I could buy cheaply in Singapore, I guess. I do know that the negatives had deteriorated very badly, and in the end I scanned them with SilverFast 6 SE using a Ferrania preset.

[ETA: looks like the film was Kodacolor X, which I think was C22]

Last edited:
Ring of bright water. Taken with a 1950s Coronet Twelve-20 (a TLR style pressed sheet-metal box camera) on Kodak Ektachrome 100 circa 1979.

River by J White, on Flickr

So there you have it, a photo where nothing is sharp and suffering from some sort of refractive halo lens flare from the sunlight hitting the sides of the smaller hole in the metal sliding aperture strip!

However, despite the numerous technical shortcomings, when I look at that photo I can clearly remember walking along that river with my Dad, watching the wildlife and enjoying the scenery. The river held quite a few small trout, but I can still remember the day when Dad and I approached a pool just upstream from where this photo was taken... several small trout raced away from our shadows into the safety of a deeper pool beneath an old tree stump, and a huge (for that river) sea trout of around two feet in length shot out from beneath the submerged roots to see what all the commotion was about.

Before I know it, I'm back there, watching brook lamprey and water voles, followed by bible-black velvet bats skimming over the river's surface as the darkness gathers on a warm summer evening. I can hear the buzz of the insects and smell the cool, damp evening air as the mist rises from the water.

That's the thing with photography; photographs don't have to be sharp, perfectly exposed or technically outstanding to trigger memories; and, just like a river, the memories flow by as you look. :)

Poll added.

@-Oy-

Well done Dave, that one had winner written all over it. Over to you for the next one then.

Well done Dave, very nice shot indeed.

Good winner well done.

Thanks folks :)

Back