Votes: 8 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
New Old Film Challenge #23 Show Us Your Best Cityscape

Have a search in your archives and dig out that cityscape.

As usual it must be an old shot, not shot for this challenge. It must have been shot by you. It must have been shot on film.

And if there's anybody out there that wants to take part but doesn't have access to a scanner I'd be happy to scan the occasional negative if needed.

Closing date for entries will be Monday 2nd November and voting will close 3 days after that.

Keep all discussion here

Last edited:
I'm not entirely sure what a Cityscape is, but most entries so far seem to have been at street level. So I'll chuck this "typical" street scene from Hong Kong in 1974 into the mix. (I'm assuming, and no doubt @skysh4rk could confirm, that this is no longer typical of modern day Hong Kong; I know my shots of old boats in the Singapore River from 1971 could not be replicated now!)

This is an unknown transparency film, shot on either a Spotmatic II or the Electro Spotmatic that I bought on that visit to Hong Kong.

photo28_24a (640x426).jpg
Heading to catch a train at Waverley Station in Edinburgh after being at the Ansel Adams exhibition at top right. Photo was taken with an Olympus mju11 which cost about £10 and the film was XP2 dev & scan at Tesco with a slight pink tinge. Year was 2008.

I'm not entirely sure what a Cityscape is, but most entries so far seem to have been at street level. So I'll chuck this "typical" street scene from Hong Kong in 1974 into the mix. (I'm assuming, and no doubt @skysh4rk could confirm, that this is no longer typical of modern day Hong Kong; I know my shots of old boats in the Singapore River from 1971 could not be replicated now!)

This is an unknown transparency film, shot on either a Spotmatic II or the Electro Spotmatic that I bought on that visit to Hong Kong.

As I recall, there are some areas that are still reminiscent of the scene in your photograph. The closest I could find to that amongst my own photographs though is this:

Old Kodachrome 25 35mm slide, one of a group shot in Frankfurt probably about 30 years ago, recently converted to B&W.

2vcgtoj.jpg

I'm sure to find something else city-scapey after this, but I quickly flicked through my negatives to try to find something suitably suitable to suit this challenge :) Here's what I came up with, it's from March this year, and is a pretty decent cityscape of Rainbow Bridge and Tokyo Bay from Daiba, Tokyo.

Tokyobay1 by Jamtea573, on Flickr

This is my Xpan with the 45mm, on Kodak Portra 160 with a reasonably long exposure (though I've no idea how long!)

Oh dear, I only noticed this topic at the last moment. This is just something I remembered I had. Shot in Liverpool 1995, on a Minolta XD7 with Tamron 28-70 zoom, on colour print film (Kodak?) then more recently scanned from the print. The slightly 'high key' look is deliberate, honest!

TP Liverpool waterscape 1995.jpg

Last edited:
Poll added, vote for your fave 3 shots. Polling open for 3 days.

Last few hours for voting, it's tight at the top :D

It appears to be draw between chrisphoter and Steven well done folks, both cracking shots. Anyway it's now your dubious honour to pick the next subject so you can sort it out between you as you see fit. If you wish Roberts will fetch the duelling pistols, or you could toss a coin or even just pick a subject between you.

Either way, once you've picked a subject make an entries thread and a discussion thread.

7 days for entries and 3 days for voting.

Wow, as a n00b I'm really honoured! Thanks folks,, and congratulations to Steven also - a great shot.

If Steven wants to consult with me over the next subject that would be fine. But as I'm such a newcomer and don't know what's been picked before, if he has a raft of good ideas stored up, I'm more than happy to give way and let him choose. Either is cool with me.

Wow, as a n00b I'm really honoured! Thanks folks,, and congratulations to Steven also - a great shot.

If Steven wants to consult with me over the next subject that would be fine. But as I'm such a newcomer and don't know what's been picked before, if he has a raft of good ideas stored up, I'm more than happy to give way and let him choose. Either is cool with me.
There you go, there's a full list here https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/the-film-conventional-challenge-index-thread.570945/

Ok, our chosen theme for the next "New Old Film Challenge" is 'Kids'. Can someone set it up for me (I'm a complete n00b here!)

You just need to start 2 new threads, one entry thread and one discussion thread. You can pretty much copy and paste the basic rules from previous challenges.

The basic rules are:-

It must be an old shot
It must have been shot on film
It must have been shot by you
The challenge will run for 7 days
You then add a poll to the entries thread
The voting will last for 3 days.

Any more questions just ask.

Back