ChrisR

I'm a well known grump...
Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Discuss here. Entries thread is here...

Last edited:
This is a bit embarrassing... I was pretty sure I had a starter from the June 2013 POTY, but that turns out to have been chiaroscuro OR care, and my failing entry was in the latter category. More searching required! I wonder if there's a precedent for an old film challenge with no entries? :eek:

I'm guessing the Wikipedia info might be a bit helpful Chris? (well, it helped me anyway ;))

In photography, chiaroscuro can be achieved with the use of "Rembrandt lighting". In more highly developed photographic processes, this technique also may be termed "ambient/natural lighting", although when done so for the effect, the look is artificial and not generally documentary in nature. In particular, Bill Henson along with others, such as W. Eugene Smith, Josef Koudelka, Garry Winogrand, Lothar Wolleh, Annie Leibovitz, Floria Sigismondi, and Ralph Gibson may be considered some of the modern masters of chiaroscuro in documentary photography.

Well I had to go on google to look up the word chiaroscuro :eek:

I still don't know what it means. Isn't it a small spicy Spanish sausage?

double post

Jings, Chris. A little more left field is a good change but this one is hard! :)

Blimey, your actual entries have arrived! I was just contemplating sticking up a poll on whether to cancel, too late for that now...

I've finally found a definition with a little more substance

Chiaroscuro

What is the Definition and Meaning of Chiaroscuro?

Although lacking a precise definition, the fine art term "chiaroscuro" (from the Italian for "light-dark"; or the French "clair-obscur") describes the prominent contrast of light and shade in a painting, drawing or print, and the skill demonstrated by the artist in the management of shadows to create the illusion of three-dimensional forms.

The point is, solidity of form is only detectable in the presence of light. (For instance, it is only as dawn approaches that objects or figures - hitherto detectable only as slightly darker blobs than their surroundings - acquire volume and a three-dimensional appearance.) And if light emanates from a single source, it illuminates objects according to a specific set of rules. Chiaroscuro describes how the painter depicts the 3-D illumination of objects thus creating the illusion of solid forms.

To be fair I'm still not sure I've got anything suitable but at least I'm better informed about what I haven't got.

To be fair I'm still not sure I've got anything suitable but at least I'm better informed about what I haven't got.

..and would entries be "what came out" OR a deliberate attempt at achieving Chiaroscuro .....well for me, if I have something it would be coincidental as I've never attempted this method.

Yeh .......right........oh.........hang on a mo!

So does that mean all entries NOT showing 3d (pop) are disqualified o_O;)

It's all in the interpretation Brian, yours to decide if it fits the theme and ours to vote if we agree. (y)

I am a little late about this, but chiaroscuro ("claroscuro" in Spanish) is a technique to emphasize the subjects by zones of light and zones of shadow that hide them, to provide dramatic effects on images.

Last day to get your entries up, folks!

Closed and poll added, 3 choices, 3 days, get voting!

I've really enjoyed this theme Chris. It's been interesting to learn something new, and spend some time trying to understand what the theme actually means before looking though my photos to find the best fit. It's been fun to think about the challenge a bit more than normal :)

I've really enjoyed this theme Chris. It's been interesting to learn something new, and spend some time trying to understand what the theme actually means before looking though my photos to find the best fit. It's been fun to think about the challenge a bit more than normal :)

Yes, I agree... I thought I'd actually done one, as mentioned before, but turns out I took the other option. But when I set this, I sort of forgot this was "old film"... better to try this with new shots, I think. Maybe when the curret rash of challenges has died down, we might try a separate chiaroscuro challenge.

Back