New Old Film Challenge #71 - Music to my ears! : Discussion thread

Name
Charlotte
Edit My Images
Yes
This is the discussion thread for this week's New Old Film Challenge - Music to my ears!

The entry thread is here.

I had to go back quite a way for my entry... Should have picked something easier for myself! :D

I had to go back quite a way for my entry... Should have picked something easier for myself! :D

Me too, I wanted to be less obvious really and use the f and c shoehorn but in the end decided to stick with something less thought-provoking. Its actually one of the few shots that I'm really happy with, especially as it was in near dark and on 1600 iso fillum.

I'll be lucky to find something to shoehorn into this one!!

It's a great action shot, Andy - shooting anything at concerts always makes me wonder how the hell photographers used to do it in the days before high-ISO digital sensors!

I think I probably know the answer to this, but I'm slightly confused by the rule that "Must have been taken, developed and scanned prior to the start date" I'm assuming that it is OK to scan an old negative or print for an entry as long as it was fully processed some time in the past and filed away in the days before digi? :thinking:

I think I probably know the answer to this, but I'm slightly confused by the rule that "Must have been taken, developed and scanned prior to the start date" I'm assuming that it is OK to scan an old negative or print for an entry as long as it was fully processed some time in the past and filed away in the days before digi? :thinking:

Yes, that'd be fine by my understanding.

Yep. No problem

I'm assuming that it is OK to scan an old negative or print for an entry as long as it was fully processed some time in the past and filed away in the days before digi? :thinking:

Just noticed your final bit - AFAIK it doesn't have to be really old - the only rule is that it was taken before the contest subject was announced, so if you took a photo of a brass band or something last week, then that'd be fine to enter. I only really started shooting film again in earnest last year, so none of my entries has been particulalrly old - the oldest being a scan of a photo of my first car from the 80s. All the rest are less than 12 months old, some just a few weeks old.

h'mm the entries are so good, I've nothing that stands out with any hope of getting at least one vote, so I'll miss this one. :(

h'mm the entries are so good, I've nothing that stands out with any hope of getting at least one vote, so I'll miss this one. :(

I feel your pain as that's often the case for me with this competition, either that or it's a case of "I'm sure I've got something for that theme, but I'm bu**ered if I can find the right strip of negs."! Hence my rather intermittent entries. :whistle:

Half the fun is joining in without any expectation of winning, Brian. If I only entered photos I thought would win then I would never enter! It's also fun to look through your old photos and find an obscure connection to the theme.

Half the fun is joining in without any expectation of winning, Brian. If I only entered photos I thought would win then I would never enter! It's also fun to look through your old photos and find an obscure connection to the theme.

Agreed Carl but you have to have an unofficial basic standard and a record shot of my son playing the cornet (in a band) would be very boring to others....got a shot of my son in a school choir yep boring..got a son playing the lead part in the school's West side story..yep boring etc etc :D

Agreed Carl but you have to have an unofficial basic standard and a record shot of my son playing the cornet (in a band) would be very boring to others....got a shot of my son in a school choir yep boring..got a son playing the lead part in the school's West side story..yep boring etc etc :D
Doesn't have to literally be music, since many people would say that jet noise, motor sport, steam engines or the like is music to their ears, so maybe time for a shoehorn Brian?

Last edited:
Doesn't have to literally be music, since many people would say that jet noise, motor sport, steam engines or the like is music to their ears, so maybe time for a shoehorn Brian?

Peter you've given me an idea of a baby trying to talk (well making some noise) to the mother. (y)

Back