New Old Film Challenge #97 - Nostalgia - Voting

Vote for your 3 favourite nostalgia photos - The poll will close automatically after 3 days.

• stevo_mcg

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • simon ess

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Andysnap

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • -Oy-

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Fraser Euan White

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • wontolla

• Jao

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Peter B

• medwaygreen

• excalibur2

• abdoujaparov

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • FishyFish

• PeterSpencer

• dmb

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • ChrisR

• Mrs Snap

• compulsivehorder

• Mr Badger

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mr Badger

Didymus
Edit My Images
No
Christmas and New Year are often a time for reminiscence - So this month's old film challenge is 'Nostalgia'. How you interpret that is up to you... it could be a nostalgic old photo you took years ago, or a photo of something nostalgic that you took last week. :)

Standard rules apply -

Must be taken by you
Must be on film
Must have been taken, developed and scanned prior to the start date
Feel free to include details of the camera, lens, emulsion and anything else of relevance if you wish.
One Entry per person

Shoehorns are welcome.

Bearing in mind that it's a busy time of year for a lot of people, you've got a bit longer to find and enter a photo this time... The closing date for entries will be midnight on Tuesday 2nd of January 2019.

Discussion thread is here: https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...llenge-97-nostalgia-discussion-thread.689354/

A driving experience from a different age

37292439326_8311844048_b.jpg

Contax RX, Carl Zeiss T* Planar 50mm f1.7 @ 1.7, Kodak Portra 160VC rated at 80 ASA, Filmdev Development and Scan

Last edited:
My nostalgia is wanting back all the vehicle I owned in the 50s\60s (well I had no where to keep them)....Like 1934 Austin 10 hp, 1933 Ford Alpine tourer, KTT Velocette etc etc. My father was friends with the guy who owned the biggest breakers yard in NW London and we bought old cars and motorcycles for peanuts also spares were free. But I also sold them for peanuts. o_O :(
I wish I kept my Tiger 110 worth a few thousands now......sold it for £80.
gozJ8af.jpg

N116_001-1.jpg

The nostalgic bit...
I bought this 1947 Riley RMA 1 1/2 litre in 1967 for £25, the engine blew up after less than 1000 miles so I found a spare car, which cost £12, swapped engines and had a few months of driving pleasure before selling it in 1968 for £30 (profit), when I got married I got another £12 for the left over bits of the spare car, incredible!
Oh! to be 20 again.
Still have nightmares about the handling and braking system but it is a good looking beast, you must agree. Maximum speed maybe 80 mph on a good day.

The facts...
Halina 35X camera using Ilford FP3 and developed at home in an Enfield daylight tank, like the Agfa Rondinax job. Recently scanned.

Ah, nostalgia...

CB69C18 by Chris R, on Flickr

Let me count the ways... taken in 1969(*), on a visit to Oxford with my then girlfriend, using my first "serious" camera, the Werra 1 with the nice Tessar 2.8 lens (unknown film). My little Mark 2 Sprite (not the bug-eye, but a removable roof, slidy windows and no external door handles... you had to slide the windows to open the door from the inside, a real problem when the windows froze up!) was parked somewhere in town.

Just look at the "5/-" entry price for the Blues and Beyond, reminding us that this was pre-decimalisation (that's 5 shillings, or 25p, for those not quite so numerically challenged in the age department!). Reminds me that beer was 2/- a pint (though quite a lot of it was truly terrible, IIRC). Those big pennies we got in change used to wear out the pockets of my trousers, so I used to chuck the change into a very large jar that had previously held instant coffee [ETA forgot to finish this, it continues...]. It was pretty full by the time decimalisation came. I went through the coins and found some pretty old pennies, dating back to Victoria, took the rest to the bank but saved a few (supposedly worth 6d or more based on a table on the back of Exchange & Mart), that I still have. Of course, they're well circulated, so really worth nothing, except for their nostalgia value (!).

That flyer for a March to Greek Embassy should remind us that at this time (1967 to 1974), Greece was a dictatorship under the control of a Junta of Greek Colonels. I think the corner of a poster with "ECE" on it and an image of barbed wire is another reference to the Junta. Not that the Junta is anything to be nostalgic about in the normal, romantic sense of the word, but it does bring back memories.

Oh, and one of the neighbouring photos reveals... I still had hair then!

In other ways, of course, it's perfectly contemporary, and you could find a poster board pretty similar to this in many university towns (or indeed other places) today!

* From various clues I had previously estimated this as 2nd March, 1969, but looking at the previous and subsequent shots on the same roll I can see leaves on the trees, so it must have been a bit later than that.

Last edited:
Entries closed - Poll added - poll will close automatically in 3 days, so get voting! (y)

Some very tight voting there. Well done Jao, some lovely tones and colours in that photo, you're it now so get thinking of a subject for the next challenge. (y)

Well done Adrian, nice winner.(y)

Thanks folks, I didn't expect that!

Thinking cap on, I'll put a new challenge up in the next 24hours!

Back