New old film challenge no 87-"Phew What a Scorcher..." - Discussion Thread

Madly frustrating - I have lost all my slides from a trip around Namibia, where it was absolutely a scorcher in the desert but I got some very satisfying sand and sky images with the old ETRS.
I guess I'll have to make that trip again someday...

Neptune Fountain, Plaza de la Virgen, Valencia City, Spain.

Yashica FR-1 + Yashica DSB 28mm f/2.8 + Unknown Black & White film (most probably 100TMax) + light leaks

How are you finding the FR-1? I have found mine to have an more resonant mirror slap that other SLRs I have used. The glass in this line is amazing.

How are you finding the FR-1? I have found mine to have an more resonant mirror slap that other SLRs I have used. The glass in this line is amazing.

From all the Yashica SLRs I have, the FR1 (cloth curtain) and the FX-3 (metallic curtain) have the more resonant mirror-curtain combinations, not enough to affect the shot but everybody in a 5 meter radius will know that a shot was taken :D. The lenses are great copies of the Zeiss ones, so the results are at the very least good, no complains so far with the ML and DSB primes.

Well I've posted this before but anyone who has seen it before could, instead of looking at the overall snap, treat it as "where's Wally" and look at the detail e.g. handkerchief over the guys head etc
Weymouth about 50 years ago
OK Brian, I can't stand not knowing! Was it a deliberate choice to line up her dress with the matching fairground ride behind her? :thinking:

OK Brian, I can't stand not knowing! Was it a deliberate choice to line up her dress with the matching fairground ride behind her? :thinking:

Well Peter who knows what I was thinking 50 years ago...could have been I couldn't wait to get her dress off o_O :D

From all the Yashica SLRs I have, the FR1 (cloth curtain) and the FX-3 (metallic curtain) have the more resonant mirror-curtain combinations, not enough to affect the shot but everybody in a 5 meter radius will know that a shot was taken :D. The lenses are great copies of the Zeiss ones, so the results are at the very least good, no complains so far with the ML and DSB primes.

Yes, everyone knows about a shot being taken. I also have an FX-3, that looks like it has been through a war.

Although I am a wide glass shooter, the ML 50mm F1.4 lens is one of the best lenses I have ever used.

Well done both.

Time for a game of Rock Paper Scissors Lizard Spock to sort out a winner! :D

Last edited:
Yes, worthy joint winners. I'm decidedly chuffed to have got 6 votes at my first attempt!

Well done to the winners, tough choice this time.

Back