New old film challenge no 87-"Phew What a Scorcher..." - Entries Thread - POLL ADDED

Vote for your three Favourites....

• dmb - Oman 1997

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Lindsay56 - Kenya 2004

• Mr Badger - Steam Traction

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Slyelessar - Canal Boat

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Mrs Snap - Happy Feet

• Carl Hall - Jalapenos

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • srichards - Talacre Beach

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chris R - Lake Torrens, Austrialia

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • excalibur2 - Wheres Wally

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Ariel7515 - Valencia

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheBigYin

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
This is the entry thread for the next installment of the New Old Film Challenge. The theme this time is 'Phew What a Scorcher...' A chance to dig out all those old summer holiday snaps - even Brian can't moan at this one... Bearing in mind every Film in my youth had a load of beach shots in the middle and 2 different christmas trees at the start and end of the roll. Add Background story if you wish - though come voting time, I think we should judge the photo's on the photo rather than now touching the story was....

Standard rules as always:

Must be taken by you
Must be on film
Must have been taken, developed and scanned prior to the start date
Please include details of the camera, lens, emulsion and anything else of relevance if you can possibly remember that far back
One Entry per person
As always, f&c shoehorning is positively encouraged.

Theoretically this will run for the traditional 7 (and whatevers left of today) days and voting will be be open for 3 days after that.

Closing date for entries is midnight on Wednesday 11th July 2018, polling runs to Midnight 14th July the morning of Monday July 16th and I'll get the result up on later that day.

I love deadlines... I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

Last edited:
Kenya2004-1 by Lindsay Pennell on Flickr

Serengeti, Kenya in 2004 - Pentax MZ-5 with 80-210mm zoom (I think) - Ektachrome 64 or Fujichrome

Last edited:
Apologies to anyone of a sensitive disposition!! :D

I think I've posted this before but it certainly was a scorcher of day when I took this last year. Mr Snap & I cooling off at Ashness Bridge in the Lake District, during the mini heatwave last June. Probably taken on the Nikon FG but I can't remember what film :thinking:

Happy-Feet by Janet, on Flickr

Grass Trees on a ridge overlooking Lake Torrens, Northern Flinders Ranges, South Australia

CS73E19 by Chris R, on Flickr

Taken in June 1973 (so technically winter, but still pretty darn hot in the day time up there), these grass trees are said to grow a foot or so every hundred years. Lake Torrens is a dry salt lake 99% of the time, as it was when this photo was taken, but a few weeks after big rains in Queensland when the flood waters arrive across country, it can fill with actual water, and both fish and amphibians emerge from under the salt! BTW, those flash flood are the reason why you should NEVER camp in the often inviting-looking dry creek beds in the Outback; a wall of water can arrive without warning weeks after a rain event a thousand miles away! The road this was taken from was on the way to Arkaroola, an old sheep station then recently converted into a small scale tourist attraction in the red sandstone mountains.

Pentax Spotmatic, unknown slide film

Well I've posted this before but anyone who has seen it before could, instead of looking at the overall snap, treat it as "where's Wally" and look at the detail e.g. handkerchief over the guys head etc
Weymouth about 50 years ago
XeiHvAl.jpg

okay, as expected, I missed cutting off on wednesday night, and spent most of yesterday at the hospital underdgoing follow up tests after last weeks heart scare, so everythings running a little late. No more submissions, and poll is in place

The handkerchief with the 4 knots, an all time classic :ROFLMAO:

Last week in Switzerland I saw that deployed by an Australian member of our party (aged 85). With a dark blue handkerchief and some sort of black magic, it looked just right, for some weird reason!

okay guy's looks like we have a tie - @ChrisR and @Carl Hall - do you two want to do a joint effort, or can you sort it out between the two of you as to who's doing the next challenge ?

Back