New packaging for fags in this weekend and other fag related rule changes

Blimey £8.82 is now the cheapest a pack is allowed to be sold at !

For e-cigarettes, tank sizes can be no more than 2ml and the nicotine strength of liquids to no more than 20mg/ml.

Retailers are also required to place a 30 per cent health warning on the front and back reading: “This product contains nicotine which is a highly addictive substance.”

These new e-cigarette rules will be in place from TOMORROW (Saturday 19).

20 a day over £3200 a year, bargain:rolleyes:

Guess it means more "grey" cigs for some/ better sales for the grey "importers"

So glad i stopped years ago.:D:banana:

It's nearly been a year since I stopped. On my last day I was paying £10.60 a packet, and that wouldn't last me even a day.

Every penny I have saved I've spend treating myself to lots of shiny things.

Best thing I ever did, just a shame I waited 28 years too long.

Edit: just remembered I set an app running when I quit. I've just checked it and I have saved £4657.64

Wow!

Last edited:
If the govt were to follow the logic through of high tax on products that cause I'll health why don't they add a £5 to white bread, a can of fizzy drink, all confectionery, crisps etc. All proceeds could go to the NHS who ultimately wouldn't need as much as with fewer smokers and fewer fat people no one would be getting I'll or dying ;)

The £8.82 hasn't come in to play as of this morning. :)

It's nearly been a year since I stopped. On my last day I was paying £10.60 a packet, and that wouldn't last me even a day.

Every penny I have saved I've spend treating myself to lots of shiny things.

Best thing I ever did, just a shame I waited 28 years too long.

Edit: just remembered I set an app running when I quit. I've just checked it and I have saved £4657.64

Wow!

Have you actually saved it though?

I bought some yesterday @ £7.49 but that is a full quid over a couple of months ago.
Yet anther stealth tax, on the premise that its "for our own good"
Once they have eradicated smoking I wonder where they will get the £12 billion in direct tax revenues from?
Motorists are ( and always have been) the next easy target ..

Its now probably worth a cheap return flight to Spain to stock up,
Yep, it'll certainly help the likes of easy jet, cheap flights to Spain / France etc. and stock up.

I stopped (for the umpteenth and last time) on April 4th 1974. Taking the £8.82 figure quoted above*, it seems I've saved £138,429.90.
May not work for everyone, but I succeeded in part by putting actual cash on the mantelpiece every day and eventually graphing the savings which I had resolved to spend on photographic equipment. First purchase from this was a Nikkormat FTN and standard lens. Hence I've never worried about spending on cameras as I would have to buy Leicas to get near the £138K ;-)
* I used to smoke Gitanes Mais so probably more expensive.

Last edited:
I stopped (for the umpteenth and last time) on April 4th 1974. Taking the £8.82 figure quoted above*, it seems I've saved £138,429.90.
May not work for everyone, but I succeeded in part by putting actual cash on the mantelpiece every day and eventually graphing the savings which I had resolved to spend on photographic equipment. First purchase from this was a Nikkormat FTN and standard lens. Hence I've never worried about spending on cameras as I would have to buy Leicas to get near the £138K ;-)
* I used to smoke Gitanes Mais so probably more expensive.

Now, that's proper saving. :)

The local smokers would just simply switch over to cannabis as it'll end up working out more cheaper and more "effective" for it. That's why everyone are at it these days.

I really cannot understand this obsession, I bet if the true statistics are available (ok someone will find some ) it would show that alcohol and
related injuries, and here I include vehicles, violence and sheer drunken stupidity is just as much of a drain on resources, so why not only sell beer by the barrel, wine in crates
spirits in larger bottles, oh hang on most of those making the laws enjoy a drink :rolleyes:

Before any one asks, yes I am a non smoker

I gave up over 10 years ago when I was 37 just after my now wife and I moved in together. Suddenly smoking just seemed dead stupid. All these things in the world trying to do you in why actually pay for one was a bit my motto.

I had to chuckle at a news item on the radio today, apparently the "Light" cigarettes are more harmful than "regular" cigarettes, due to the way the body absorbed the so called carcinogens.
Lets all stick to Capstan full strength, and get back to health (y)

I wondered how long it would be before they started interfering with vaping. First 10ml bottles only, now 2ml tanks... When they wake up to the tax black hole left by ex fag smokers, no doubt they'll want to tax e-liquids to the hilt to make up for it.

I wondered how long it would be before they started interfering with vaping. First 10ml bottles only, now 2ml tanks..
Will you no longer be able to buy the component parts and mix your own?

Will you no longer be able to buy the component parts and mix your own?
The honest answer is - I don't know, but - there is now an upper limit on the nicotine content - so - I can't see them leaving that alone for long.

The honest answer is - I don't know, but - there is now an upper limit on the nicotine content - so - I can't see them leaving that alone for long.
I was just having a google after I hit send, seems that the place I use only sells 30ml of nicotine, last time I bought 100ml.
The rot has started :(

There could be an answer for the green (rather than yellow!!!) fingered...

http://www.tobaccoseed.co.uk/index.html
Bookmarked to read later (y)

There has been no mandatory minimum price introduced. We've still got loads of non compliant packs left, sat on the shelf for over a year! Obviously good stuff.

Sellers were given notice last year that they had until this week to sell stocks of cigarettes in non compliant packaging.
They officially can no longer do so.
Not that I give a hoot.
I'll happily buy them. :)

I was in Huddersfield lookin in a vape store shop window and they had one called a cloud beast.

Well they are not legally allowed to sell them so I would say you are in a good bargaining position on the price

I can't sell them but I could tell you where they are lurking in the store and when I'll be popping out for a few minutes...:whistle:

I can't sell them but I could tell you where they are lurking in the store and when I'll be popping out for a few minutes...:whistle:
Or you could send them to me for my "Birthday" as a gift and I could reciprocate with a "birthday bank transfer" for you :D

Or you could send them to me for my "Birthday" as a gift and I could reciprocate with a "birthday bank transfer" for you :D

Trading outside of classifieds ? :bat:

Isn't that a banning offence :p:LOL:

Or I could Congratulate you on your birthday for a few pennies more. ;)

If the govt were to follow the logic through of high tax on products that cause I'll health why don't they add a £5 to white bread, a can of fizzy drink, all confectionery, crisps etc. All proceeds could go to the NHS who ultimately wouldn't need as much as with fewer smokers and fewer fat people no one would be getting I'll or dying ;)

why tax bread?

Back