New Printer

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
No
I bought the new Canon imagePROGRAF Pro 300 which arrived today and boy what an impressive beast it is.

Having never owned a quality photo printer before I am astounded at the test prints I have made. My screen has yet to be calibrated and I didn’t use any ICC profiles, just printed the jpeg’s without any image adjustments and the A4 prints look fantastic.

It will be interesting to see how much better the prints will be with everything calibrated and different types of paper.

Let the learning curve begin.

Any tips and tricks would be very helpful.

I bought the new Canon imagePROGRAF Pro 300 which arrived today and boy what an impressive beast it is.

Having never owned a quality photo printer before I am astounded at the test prints I have made. My screen has yet to be calibrated and I didn’t use any ICC profiles, just printed the jpeg’s without any image adjustments and the A4 prints look fantastic.

It will be interesting to see how much better the prints will be with everything calibrated and different types of paper.

Let the learning curve begin.

Any tips and tricks would be very helpful.

Buy a spare set of inks, especially Chroma Optimiser if it uses it and you set it for every print.

I'm currently looking at the Canon PIXMA iX6850 as a starter photo printer. I'm hoping for a similar reaction.

Especially as I'm currently using a non calibrated screen.

I'm currently looking at the Canon PIXMA iX6850 as a starter photo printer. I'm hoping for a similar reaction.

Especially as I'm currently using a non calibrated screen.

I jumped in the deep end. I saw somewhere that as a temp fix is to turn the screen brightness down? Macs are suppose to be quite accurate for colours so it’ll do for now.

That’ll cost £200. :oops: :$

Soon gets used up, Grey seems to run out quickly too.
Maintenance cycles eat it up, it's fun, results can be stunning, but it ain't cheap.
I always say it's the sort of money you would only ever spend on a hobby

Soon gets used up, Grey seems to run out quickly too.
Maintenance cycles eat it up, it's fun, results can be stunning, but it ain't cheap.
I always say it's the sort of money you would only ever spend on a hobby

It’s something I’m aware of the cost and I plan on not doing huge amounts of printing but it is good to know from others. Very true about what we spend on hobbies. I’m a classic example of it!

I have a 6850 and for my needs its good enough

I would also suggest trying Canon Print Studio Pro software.
Works as a Plug in with PS, LR and Canon DPP
Very easy to use with good functions and makes printing relatively simple

I would also suggest trying Canon Print Studio Pro software.
Works as a Plug in with PS, LR and Canon DPP
Very easy to use with good functions and makes printing relatively simple

I have gone all in and just subscribed to LR and PS after many years of using Aperture. Used the Professional Print and Layout software. Thanks for the software tip. I’ll look into it. All in all it’s a big learning curve moving away from Aperture and Nik Software plug-ins.

I jumped in the deep end. I saw somewhere that as a temp fix is to turn the screen brightness down? Macs are suppose to be quite accurate for colours so it’ll do for now.
Any idea on brightness setting? I might be pinching my sister's MacBook for editing. Just need to get a charger for it.

I have gone all in and just subscribed to LR and PS after many years of using Aperture. Used the Professional Print and Layout software. Thanks for the software tip. I’ll look into it. All in all it’s a big learning curve moving away from Aperture and Nik Software plug-ins.

You can still use the Nik plug ins, I believe the old version is still available free although I wouldn't swear to it.

Doesn't make any sense to spend out on a printer then not bother with proper calibration.

Same as getting an expensive tripod then buying a cheap head that doesn't stay locked solid.

It’s something I’m aware of the cost and I plan on not doing huge amounts of printing but it is good to know from others. Very true about what we spend on hobbies. I’m a classic example of it!

I’m not sure I’d fork out for a full set of inks in advance, as in my experience inks are used at different rates. I just buy them when they’re getting very low and spread the cost. Most places will do next day delivery anyway.

I’m not sure I’d fork out for a full set of inks in advance, as in my experience inks are used at different rates. I just buy them when they’re getting very low and spread the cost. Most places will do next day delivery anyway.

I've always got a better deal buying them in two sets of five.
Do get the CO separately, they get used up a lot more quickly.

It has been and very expensive week as what with buying the printer my car was serviced today and it needs a new clutch. To top it off my boiler is broken and getting that fixed on Friday.

I was planning to buy the inks as and when they are needed but Christmas is looming so I can add them to my wish list.

I have a Canon Pro 1. I shop around a bit for my inks when they start getting low. Sometimes it's cheaper to buy them separately rather than as a set. Mostly I have a spare of each.

I set my CO to overall rather than auto as any whites don't get covered in auto, but it is a personal choice, many people leave it on auto. I don't seem to use more of it than other inks. I have one or two colours that seem to last longer than others - can't quite remember now, but I think it's red and magenta - everything else is about the same - depends what you're printing of course :)

There is a good YouTube channel - you may already know https://www.youtube.com/user/cheo1949 and he also has a facebook group.

Enjoy it :)

I have a Canon Pro 1. I shop around a bit for my inks when they start getting low. Sometimes it's cheaper to buy them separately rather than as a set. Mostly I have a spare of each.

I set my CO to overall rather than auto as any whites don't get covered in auto, but it is a personal choice, many people leave it on auto. I don't seem to use more of it than other inks. I have one or two colours that seem to last longer than others - can't quite remember now, but I think it's red and magenta - everything else is about the same - depends what you're printing of course :)

There is a good YouTube channel - you may already know https://www.youtube.com/user/cheo1949 and he also has a facebook group.

Enjoy it :)

Thanks for the tip. I’m very happy with the test prints I’ve done so far and this is just the start of learning about printing.

Thank you for the YouTube link and I have seen one already. They are quite long and he certainly goes into great detail and the main thing which sticks in my mind was about the maintenance cycles and printing regularly.

Thanks for the tip. I’m very happy with the test prints I’ve done so far and this is just the start of learning about printing.

Thank you for the YouTube link and I have seen one already. They are quite long and he certainly goes into great detail and the main thing which sticks in my mind was about the maintenance cycles and printing regularly.
Yes they are a bit long winded, but there's a wealth of information.

Does your printer have replaceable maintenance cartridges? If not you might want to consider doing very little borderless printing. The lifetime of my printer will be determined by when these are full, if something else doesn't happen first. José has done videos about this.

I had a Color Munki (which I still have and should probably sell), and I upgraded to the iStudio so that I could do icc profiles. I find I do have to turn my screen brightness down - it shows you when you calibrate your screen what your brightness should be.

Yes they are a bit long winded, but there's a wealth of information.

Does your printer have replaceable maintenance cartridges? If not you might want to consider doing very little borderless printing. The lifetime of my printer will be determined by when these are full, if something else doesn't happen first. José has done videos about this.

I had a Color Munki (which I still have and should probably sell), and I upgraded to the iStudio so that I could do icc profiles. I find I do have to turn my screen brightness down - it shows you when you calibrate your screen what your brightness should be.

I am unsure if the Pro 300 takes maintenance cartridges. I’ll look into it as it would be useful if they did. Luckily from the test prints I’ve done I prefer the prints with borders.

Back