New road tax rules, cheeky caveat for the over 40k gang

Mr Bump

From under the bridge
Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Just noticed as I was looking at the DVLA to tax my new bike.

The car tax for people buying cars of a over 40k applies to the list price of the car not the purchase price.

so if you go buy a car listed at say £43k but negotiate a price of say £39k the extra tax still comes into play

cheeky but fair.

Vehicles with an original list price of more than £40,000
If a vehicle has an original list price (the published price before any discounts) of more than £40,000, the rate of tax is based on CO2 for the first time it is taxed.

Seems fair to me. If it was based on actual sale price then there is room for a lot of "creative invoicing" that would alll have to be verified.

Seems fair to me. If it was based on actual sale price then there is room for a lot of "creative invoicing" that would alll have to be verified.

that is what I thought, yes it is fair and creates a level playing field.
can't see me ever paying that for a car like so its not relevant but food for thought.

The car tax for people buying cars of a over 40k applies to the list price of the car not the purchase price.

so if you go buy a car listed at say £43k but negotiate a price of say £39k the extra tax still comes into play

cheeky but fair.

If a vehicle has an original list price (the published price before any discounts) of more than £40,000, the rate of tax is based on CO2 for the first time it is taxed.
It has to be done on list price because of the extra tax payable for the first 5yrs just in case the car is sold on within that 5yr period. The £40k also includes any factory fitted extras. So you could still buy a sub £40k car and take it over the threshold with extras and still be liable for the extra tax. Just because you have no intention of buying a car for £40k or more you would still be paying the higher tax if you bought it second hand at a much lower price before it was 5yrs old.

Yep it could hit people looking at cheeky cheap ex company or fleet cars

Wonder what they'll do if one adds extras. Extras that have nothing to do with CO2.

Still reaks to me!

All still counts, it is the total list price prior to discounts.
I think it is fair, it taxes the rich in a way that does not in any way affect poorer or middle class people.

if you are paying over £40k for a car then its TAX time.

I think it is fair, it taxes the rich in a way that does not in any way affect poorer or middle class people.

Which I find completely unfair. Somebody that earns more pays more on their earnings and pay more in VAT because they spend more.
Why should somebody be taxed more because they can afford a more expensive car?

I bloody guarantee that a wealthier persons expensive BMW expels far less emissions that somebodies old diesel banger.

This country spends it's life complaining that spending is down and then they punish the people that can afford to spend when they do. It's no wonder rich people do whatever they can to avoid paying tax and I don't blame them.

Last edited:
Yup, my lad's just got a new BMW 330D fully spec'd for £39K but because the list price is £43.5 he's got to pay the higher tax, well, I say he. As part of the deal he's got free servicing and tax for 3 years.

Which I find completely unfair. Somebody that earns more pays more on their earnings and pay more in VAT because they spend more.
Why should somebody be taxed more because they can afford a more expensive car?

I bloody guarantee that a wealthier persons expensive BMW expels far less emissions that somebodies old diesel banger.

This country spends it's life complaining that spending is down and then they punish the people that can afford to spend when they do. It's no wonder rich people do whatever they can to avoid paying tax and I don't blame them.

I disagree a luxury car over 40k is an easy target and should be taxed.

Yup, my lad's just got a new BMW 330D fully spec'd for £39K but because the list price is £43.5 he's got to pay the higher tax, well, I say he. As part of the deal he's got free servicing and tax for 3 years.

I think the number is an extra £310/ year for 5 years

PCP on a 4 year lease deal so I believe they'll be chasing him after 3 years to change

yep that is right and whoever buys the car after swallows one more year of £310+£140

£245 for my V8. Just back from the paint shop
165807618.jpg

165807617.jpg

cheeky but fair.

Didn't someone start a thread a few months ago about this ?

Sure I seem to remember reading...

You don't need to be rich to buy a 40k car.

You don't need to be rich to buy a 40k car.

No you don't but as a car it is an excessive amount so its a fair game for TAX.

According to a car mag

The average price of a new motor has risen from £12,207 in 1988 to £27,219 today, which is just lower than the £27,742 inflation would have pushed it to, according to data from Auto Express.

No you don't but as a car it is an excessive amount so its a fair game for TAX.

According to a car mag

The average price of a new motor has risen from £12,207 in 1988 to £27,219 today, which is just lower than the £27,742 inflation would have pushed it to, according to data from Auto Express.

So essentially the average wage in the U.K. is the average being spent on a new car. So someone who earns a bit more than average spends a bit more than average on their car so 40k is by no means excessive in that context.

Dealers should sell you a box of cereal instead and then give the car away as a free gift
40K for a box of cornflakes? I don't think so!
:D

So essentially the average wage in the U.K. is the average being spent on a new car. So someone who earns a bit more than average spends a bit more than average on their car so 40k is by no means excessive in that context.

Yes of course, what is the tax threshold for paying higher rate of tax? It is £43k?
Seems about right for the car value?

agreed?

Yes of course, what is the tax threshold for paying higher rate of tax? It is £43k?
Seems about right for the car value?

agreed?

Why? Why should car tax be increased at a given value? I could be wrong but I'm guessing you aren't in the higher tax rate, and don't own a car over £40k? So you'd rather tax those who work hard to better themselves... this country is full of people who want to race to the bottom, rather than reward hard work and effort to improve their lot. It seems to be a very British thing for some reason. No wonder there are so many people out of work or doing dead end easy jobs with no responsibilities to get there pay topped up by benefits.

Why should car tax be increased at a given value?
I certainly can't afford anything like that for a car, and I certainly don't begrudge those that can.

Yet again the motorist is being taxed to the hilt on the whim of a government that is looking for easy revenue :(

Back