New sigma lens coming??

I would like them to offer something new and shorter than a 150-600 possible a new 50-500 or 120-400.

From a pure marketing perspective, I can't see them announcing a 120-400 so soon after the revamped 150-600s were launched.

With both the 100-400 and 70-200 ranges, they have very serious competition from Canon and would likely do better to look elsewhere.

The one lens everyone wants from Sigma is an 85 f/1.4 ART and it would make all the sense in the world as Canon still don't do one. What on earth is holding them up I don't know.

Now I've looked at the silhouette, maybe it's something similar to a Canon 'do', room for a rival there for sure especially if it could compete with their new 400 do mkii, crazy money imo but if it were a significantly cheaper model and similar size & weight, I think there would be a lot of interest.

Possible I guess but I think any kind of 400 DO would still be bigger than that.

I don't think Sigma are that interested in the top-end of the market, price wise, instead preferring to produce lenses which are 90% as good as their Canon counterparts (or sometimes better) yet cost half as much. I'm not saying Sigmas are "cheap" at all (I have one myself) but they're definitely aimed at the more value-conscious buyer. I guess this makes sense as people who can afford to drop thousands and thousands on lenses will most often stick to first-party gear.

I don't think Sigma are that interested in the top-end of the market, price wise....
Well, the existence of the Sigma 200-500mm f/2.8 suggests that they haven't always had that view...

On the other hand, I recall about 3 or 4 years ago I was talking to a Sigma ambassador who was a big wildlife guy - can't remember his name, unfortunately. He was convinced that they should make a 200-600mm f/4, which clearly wouldn't be a cheap lens by any stretch of the imagination, but he said that Sigma HQ in Japan were too conservative to make anything like that. So obviously their corporate priorities do change over time.

Well, the existence of the Sigma 200-500mm f/2.8 suggests that they haven't always had that view...

On the other hand, I recall about 3 or 4 years ago I was talking to a Sigma ambassador who was a big wildlife guy - can't remember his name, unfortunately. He was convinced that they should make a 200-600mm f/4, which clearly wouldn't be a cheap lens by any stretch of the imagination, but he said that Sigma HQ in Japan were too conservative to make anything like that. So obviously their corporate priorities do change over time.

Yeah I'm referring to their current strategy of course, since they pretty much "relaunched" themselves with the new A/C/S line of lenses. Since then they do seem to have been focusing on beating the OEMs on the "bang for buck" front with better value lenses but who knows, once they've found their feet with that, maybe they'll start shooting higher.

All I'm saying is that they do need to build their reputation before taking on the OEMs at the top end of the market. Sigma have put out some very poor lenses in their time and have, quite rightly, got it in the neck for their very poor consistency and quality control. They've turned that round with their more recent lenses but I think they still have a way to go before they can start releasing something like a 200-600 f/4 and have it taken seriously by professionals in the market for lenses like Canon's £9k 200-400 :)

I hope they do get there though as more competition is only good for us consumers! :)

The mutterings of shopaholics. It sounds like constipation ... (if you didn't know what constipation sounded like, well you do now ...).

It's a 24-35 f/2, just had the email.

@odd jim yeah its been out since October had mine since mid October and use it occasionally for some wedding shots

Haha! Well ages is about 9 months to be fair. Looks good and the reviews are pretty positive but apparently variable focusing is a common problem, mentioned in the D750 thread a few weeks ago.

That link indicates a DC lens, which is for crop sensors only, not full frame, before anyone gets too excited!

That link indicates a DC lens, which is for crop sensors only, not full frame, before anyone gets too excited!
Oh well...

Last edited:
Seems a done deal that it is a 50-100 1.8. What a beast, great for potential D500 buyers.

Back