New Star Trek series is on the way

1950s yay! lets burn some books while we're at it!

Correct, neither are acceptable in what is ostensibly a family show, i.e. one that all ages will watch.

Families over the age of 15 actually. So get your facts right. Or are you saying that you have failed as a parent by allowing children of less than 15 years of age watch it?

Correct, neither are acceptable in what is ostensibly a family show, i.e. one that all ages will watch.
Are you serious? I believe even Sesame Street has a gay character.
You might want to reinstall your reality check features with a 21st century update.

They did warn us that they were going to take this season where no one has gone before. Get ready for gay Klingons, and LGBTX life forms.

Last edited:
I stopped watching a couple of weeks ago. TBH I thought it could have been okay-ish. There were terrible plot holes, stupid decision making, ridiculous cliche'd storylines, wobbly acting, spotty skin and (as already mentioned) endless bitching.

The gratuitous use of F*** just so that they could claim that they used the word F*** in Star Trek and the gay kiss that was only there so that they could claim that they had a gay kiss in Star Trek (neither of which added anything to the story) just annoyed the hell out me (no homophobia here, it was just a gratuitous play to the PC crowd).

All of that I could have put up with if it wasn't for the fact that it was all supposed to happen before Kirk and Spock! The technology was just way out of sync. It would have made far more sense to have set it many years in the future after Picard etc. and introduce a new warlike race instead of rehash the Klingons again.

Maybe, just maybe it would then have been bearable.

You have a point about the tech level but they would probably link it to the alternative reality created in the last ST films. In all I liked the series, it was shaky and the plot lines were cliche'd and poorly implemented but TNG was really shaky in it's first season too. The gay kiss wasn't really necessary but again it harks back to the original series with the first interracial kiss on TV.

You have a point about the tech level but they would probably link it to the alternative reality created in the last ST films. In all I liked the series, it was shaky and the plot lines were cliche'd and poorly implemented but TNG was really shaky in it's first season too. The gay kiss wasn't really necessary but again it harks back to the original series with the first interracial kiss on TV.

TNG didn’t really get into its stride until the 3rd series I reckon.

I stopped watching a couple of weeks ago. TBH I thought it could have been okay-ish. There were terrible plot holes, stupid decision making, ridiculous cliche'd storylines, wobbly acting, spotty skin and (as already mentioned) endless bitching.

The gratuitous use of F*** just so that they could claim that they used the word F*** in Star Trek and the gay kiss that was only there so that they could claim that they had a gay kiss in Star Trek (neither of which added anything to the story) just annoyed the hell out me (no homophobia here, it was just a gratuitous play to the PC crowd).

All of that I could have put up with if it wasn't for the fact that it was all supposed to happen before Kirk and Spock! The technology was just way out of sync. It would have made far more sense to have set it many years in the future after Picard etc. and introduce a new warlike race instead of rehash the Klingons again.

Maybe, just maybe it would then have been bearable.

You took the words right out of my mouth on just about everything. I, too, gave up on it about a fortnight ago as I couldn't bring myself to carry on watching it any more.

It might as well be a Star Trek-like parody rather than Star Trek attempting to be . . . well . . . Star Trek.

And on that note, I'm out.

I watched the first episode of The Orville last night. It's far better than Discovery. I gave up on that completely. The Orville is more star trek than star trek and is quite funny to boot.

Yes, I really enjoyed it.

I watched the first episode of The Orville last night. It's far better than Discovery. I gave up on that completely. The Orville is more star trek than star trek and is quite funny to boot.

I'm really enjoying The Orville too.
Very entertaining. :)

Damn. I can't get The Orville. It looks so funny.

Damn. I can't get The Orville. It looks so funny.
It is funny in parts, but it is a surprisingly regular Sci Fi most of the time that is not afraid to go a bit dark imho. Being by Seth MacFarlane I thought it would be a total p*** take, but it's not.

It has the humour and light touch that is missing in ST Discovery, and is more like the first Star Trek..

It is funny in parts, but it is a surprisingly regular Sci Fi most of the time that is not afraid to go a bit dark imho. Being by Seth MacFarlane I thought it would be a total p*** take, but it's not.

It has the humour and light touch that is missing in ST Discovery, and is more like the first Star Trek..

This is pretty much my take but I'd liken it more to TNG.

I'm still enjoying Discovery though, I thought Episode 10 was rather good.

Mmm, lots of twists and turns, but it isn't Star Trek imho. If you make a prequel to a number of series in a 'franchise' , and you forgo what has gone before, what is the point. :-/ You are just making an unconnected show trading on the name. Good Sci Fi rather than great up to now for me.

Bit early to go to an alternate Universe too. Obviously now they can go anywhere, do anything, and have no need to reference the "Star Trek Universe".

Anyone watch this through to yesterday's finale? I've watched it almost as if the other Star Treks never existed and it's made it all the more enjoyable. Quite looking forward to season 2.

Anyone watch this through to yesterday's finale? I've watched it almost as if the other Star Treks never existed and it's made it all the more enjoyable. Quite looking forward to season 2.

I’ve just watched the final episode, it’s being a good series, but I thought the last episode was a bit flat, as if they suddenly panicked and realised they had lots of threads to tie up and did so in 20 minutes.

A new series featuring Captain Picard has been announced. Patrick Stewart will return to play the role.

i liked Discovery, looking forward to season 2 to see how they play it. Hope Isaacs gets back in the show too, his character has a lot to be taken from it.

A new series featuring Captain Picard has been announced. Patrick Stewart will return to play the role.
I'm not sure I like the sound of that. I know Patrick Stewart is in good nick for his age, but he's 78 years old. :eek: I know he wasn't the main action man of ST:TNG, but he did get some action, and he had the rest of a large cast to do the action. Time will tell.
i liked Discovery, looking forward to season 2 to see how they play it. Hope Isaacs gets back in the show too, his character has a lot to be taken from it.
I'm still not sure about Discovery. :thinking: The totally different Klingons really peed me off as it seemed unnecessary imho. It also seemed a bit confused overall. The Christopher Pike coming may see the Michael Burnham character marginalised. Again, time will tell.

With haircuts like that, Vulcans should wear anoraks.
landscape-1508729599-cbs-startrek-discovery-106-image-option2-1242609-640x360.jpg

Is this Dwayne Dibley??

I'm getting into Orville, I'd been avoiding it because I don't really like Seth MacFarlane in anything I've seen but I'm glad I took the leap. Some of the story lines and interactions are better than Star Trek.

I'm getting into Orville, I'd been avoiding it because I don't really like Seth MacFarlane in anything I've seen but I'm glad I took the leap. Some of the story lines and interactions are better than Star Trek.
I expected it to be a total p*** take but I think he is doing it pretty straight and getting laughs here and there, because I think Seth McFarlane is a Sci Fi fan. He got himself into Star Trek: Enterprise for a couple of episodes. In the format it is similar to the original Star Trek imho, but with a modern character outlook.

The downside for me is that it was a short series, and there is a long time to wait for the next one. :(

I expected it to be a total p*** take but I think he is doing it pretty straight and getting laughs here and there, because I think Seth McFarlane is a Sci Fi fan. He got himself into Star Trek: Enterprise for a couple of episodes. In the format it is similar to the original Star Trek imho, but with a modern character outlook.

The downside for me is that it was a short series, and there is a long time to wait for the next one. :(

December isn’t that far away now ;)

Yep, but last year the series started in September. :thinking:

Looks like season 2 will be getting two extra episodes though, 14 instead of 12. :)

First episode is going to be 2 hours long as well, iirc.

I just watched an interesting (IMHO) YouTube video.

It explains the reasons for Discovery's divergence from the traditional Trek universe. Also discussed is the return of Picard and why that series may also vary from established Star Trek.

It is a sorry tale of right's issues, merchandising and corporate ignorance.

Sadly the small matter of creativity and taking into account the wishes of Star Trek fans doesn't seem to factor into Nu-Trek.

I see there's one season of that already, but there's something about reproducing the series in this way that feels like it's just ripping off the originals.

It hasn’t been made yet. Those characters featured in Star Trek: Discovery.

It hasn’t been made yet. Those characters featured in Star Trek: Discovery.

I haven't seen that series - it just feels like blatant theft of ideas. Why can't they either create a complete new series in the way TNG was or just write some good scifi that's new?

I haven't seen that series - it just feels like blatant theft of ideas. Why can't they either create a complete new series in the way TNG was or just write some good scifi that's new?

I like the idea of a series about Kirk’s predecessor.

Back