New tablet

Edit My Images
No
Need to get a tablet for a senior (90's) who is fairly adept with phones, tablets, etc. An iPad would be fine but new beyond budget (something around £200-250). Have been looking at Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 WiFi 64GB (read that lower memory causes issues/lag with multiple apps loaded) 3GB RAM. Use is mainly for streaming media, online news, some e-mail.

Any suggestions please?

I've just bought myself a Samsung s7 tablet and it would easily do what you want but it's possibly a bit outside your budget.

However, I bought mine second hand from cex. They had a7s available for £150 and give you a week to change your mind (check the exact details). This would give you a chance to check it's suitable.

If you do keep it, there's a 24 month warranty which is often better than you'd get new.

I think there are plenty of used iPads within budget on CEX for example. They last well in my experience

An iPad is leagues ahead of others in terms of ease of use - I've used and set up both types. Any within your budget second-hand would still work well - all of my old ones get inherited by relatives after years of use and are still going strong.

Thanks,. CEX is a good idea.

Edit: What minimum/recommended memory size would I need for an iPad?

Last edited:
Thanks,. CEX is a good idea.

Edit: What minimum/recommended memory size would I need for an iPad?
The basic, which was 16GB, is fine for general use, email, browsing etc. you soon run out of space with videos, apps etc not so much with photos which I guess would be OK for your use case.
Or buy extra storage from Apple for (I think) about £3 a month.

Make sure there’s a recovery phone or email independent of the iPad in case the user locks them self out by fiddling with Apple ID passwords!

I found a warehouse deal on Amazon and got hold of an 8th Gen (WiFi, 10.2" screen and 32GB). Over budget but very nice.

I'm now looking for a decent 'stand up' type case. Any recommendations please?

Another thing which can be useful for someone with limited mobility is a longer charging cable.

is your senior android or apple for the phone?
i would follow suite with that

is your senior android or apple for the phone?
i would follow suite with that
I agree but since he’s bought the iPad (which he said would be ideal in the OP) … ;)

I got this for my Samsung. I bet they make one for the iPad...https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08SW3MP4N?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Might be worth getting one of those magnetic charging cables as well.

Might be worth getting one of those magnetic charging cables as well.
? I don’t think that exists for iPad, unless I’m misunderstanding.

Edit to add — I see what you mean -- I hadn’t seen those before so thanks! :)

Last edited:
? I don’t think that exists for iPad, unless I’m misunderstanding.

Edit to add — I see what you mean -- I hadn’t seen those before so thanks! :)

I use them for my phone and tablet to protect the charging port and love them. It's especially handy in the car when needing to charge the phone. I also use a magnetic vent holder lol

Back