New to film

Since there's a thread for this and I don't know anything about developing film, I might as well ask some questions too..

Can a b+w film be developed without a dark room?

Yes, though a changing bag is handy for loading the film into the developing tank.

What's the difference between Rodinol and ID-11?

Rodinal is a liquid developer, which is used in high dilutions 1+25 or 1+50 parts, and is therefore very economical. It also seems to last for ages before it "goes off". ID-11 is a powder developer, shipped in 2 separate sachets which you make up with water to produce a "stock solution" - it's usually used as a one shot developer - i.e. you do one film in a mix, then dispose of the developer. It can be used at stock strength, or diluted to 1+1 or 1+3 concentrations, giving slightly longer development times. ID-11 is not particularly economical, being really intended for large volume "dip and dunk" commercial processing, where it can be re-used, and replenished. It is however a "smoother" developer, which allows the imaged to be developed with a finer grain characteristic, allowing larger enlargements to be made from small negatives such as 35mm and 120 film.

What are all the chemicals needed to develop a roll of b+w?

Developer, Stop (optional - can use a wash in water, I've also heard of people using dilute white vinegar :)), and Fix.

Could you briefly outline the process of developing a roll of film? (include everything you do)

It's all in the really helpful .pdf file from Ilford...

Thanks guys, that answers all my questions.. all I need to know now is where to get all the equipment from :)

Chemicals

Hardware

Changing Bag

I've bought stuff from both the suppliers, and they've been fine. The changing bag is a bit more expensive than some, but it's really good quality compared to the cheap nylon tat some sell (important - as synthetics increase static on film, and make dust stick to it)

Back