New to film...

Name
James Stockton
Edit My Images
Yes
As you may know, I bought a Nikon F80 on ebay last week. I'm still waiting for delivery, cant wait!

I just have a few questions if I may, seeing as though I have never used film before. I just jumped straight into digital, film is before my time :LOL:

First of all, I know that the F80 is in effect full 35mm frame as opposed to my current D200 1.5x crop factor. What lenses out of my sig would I be able to use? I'm guessing the 10-20mm is out of the question? Can anyone recommend any cheapish decent lenses for wide to midrange zoom? What is the difference between these D and G series lenses etc?

Sorry for all these questions!

Oooohhh just one more, something I have never needed before..... FILM! I know bugger all about film types. Any brands better than others? Where is best to buy them from, online?

Almost there.... Can film shots be scanned high res onto CD's so I can share them with you lovely people? :thinking:

Thanks!

g series have no aperture ring so f stops are set from the camera ,,,af,d lenses have an aperture ring on them ,,,,,if the lenses are dx format then they only cover the middle of the frame ( film ) they can be used but most likely be like looking through a circle especially at the wide end . try www.7dayshop.com for film , ive never had a problem with them..and yes they can be scanned to cd ..and for putting on here not that high a res will do .....

At the moment I think you can only use the 50mm as it has an apeture ring, but basically any D lens of the newer Nikon lenses you can you.

Film 7Dayshop or I get some of mine from Speedgraphic

I'd just buy some colour neg film for now as slide and black and white will be hardrer to get developed places

you can use the g series on it dont need the aperture ring ,in fact if you do use a lens with an aperture ring dont forget to set it to its high f stop and lock it

I'm guessing the 10-20mm is out of the question?

Nope, I use mine on a F90x.

The vignetting is laughable below about 14mm but it's still usuable.

If you switch to P mode you can use G (nikkor) or DC (siggy) lenses o.k. but you will need an aperture ring if you want to work in full Manual mode.

Thanks people, its just turned up today! Next is some batteries, some film, a manual and some common sense i'll borrow from someone.

Right, some batteries purchased....

I have just put my 50mm on there and get an "ERR" message and flashing "DX" in the corner? Something isnt right? Probably something silly. It has no film in it at the mo, if that makes a difference? :D

EDIT - Aha, sorted it. Havent a clue what was wrong, I just opened the back and closed again and all ok!

This is so cool - going to film after digital (y) - if you are shooting B/W (and colour maybe but I've never attempted that -By this I mean developing colour, not the shooting!) then you can easily develop your own negs at home without a darkroom, but you'll need a dev tank, changing bag and chemicals etc, though apologies if you know this already....

Cheers Sue, I have some colour film at the mo but I have always been interested in B&W. I think some B&W film is on the shopping list once I know how to use it! Developing my own?! Tell me more! I am as new to this as you can get :) Its like a different language this film business so far, i'm sure i'll pick it up though. Right, where is the histogram :LOL:

Right, where is the histogram :LOL:

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

If you are going to get into film big time (as in developing your own prints) then you need to have your own darkroom (or know someone who has one). Either temporarily convert your bathroom or if you're lucky permanently convert a spare room. This means totally blacked out/light proof and pref with a a sink/source of water, but this can be got round. You will need an enlarger though - can be bought second hand prob circa £100+. If you are just going to dev negs (then get a shop or someone else to print them) then you need changing bag, tank, chems as mentioned above.

If you have a local decent photographic shop then they should be able to help - some Jessops branches should be ok. Haven't bought my own chems for some time. Ilford and Patterson used to be the main suppliers/producers but I think they've been winding down their stock as digital has become more and more popular.

Someone else on here will surely be able to provide you with more up to date info on chemicals and enlargers and such like... enjoy...:D

Sorry forgot to mention that without the above you can still get your films developed at a decent shop (B/W will prob take about a week though) but there is nothing like doing your own - sort of magic really :)

Before you start blacking up the bathroom, making room for an enlarger and pi**ing the missus off, it's probably best to start with a changing bag and develop your negs first. You can then either scan them or use your DSLR & a macro lens to digitise them.

Well i'm off to a library this weekend, a beginers book for film I think. I might be able to make sense of some of these phrases then :LOL:

Back