Beginner New to photography

Name
Ross
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys,

As the title says I am new to photography. I have bought myself a bridge camera, Nikon Coolpix L830 to be precise, as I would like to explore the wonders of photography.

I have uploaded a select few photos in which I have taken over the Christmas period and any help/advice/hints/tips would be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Ross

DSCN0094 by ross.callender, on Flickr

DSCN0103 by ross.callender, on Flickr

DSCN0260 by ross.callender, on Flickr

DSCN0211 by ross.callender, on Flickr

DSCN0233 by ross.callender, on Flickr

DSCN0188 by ross.callender, on Flickr

I was discussing this with someone @KingRoach that it's not the equipment that makes the photographer (or any creative for that matter) it's the person behind the camera.

Great photos Ross, I have a bridge camera too and it's given me some good results.

A cracking first set of images, Ross. If they're what you produced on your first outings with a camera then you're off to a much better start than I was! :)

The only image I'll comment on directly is the first one with the lighthouse, were you trying to achieve something specific in having it so far off level? I'm not someone who believes horizons always have to be perfectly straight and level but I can't see the benefit of having that one on such a slant, was there a reason for it?

Well, "it looks nice that way" is a good enough reason for me. ^_^
Of course, tastes differ and nobody can say you're in any way wrong for liking it. However, it is worth pointing out that wacky framings like this are often regarded as clichéd and contrived, or just generally a bit tired. They often give the impression (rightly or wrongly) of someone trying too hard to appear "arty" and creative. And some will say it's just a lazy way of trying to make a photo stand out. That's not to say nobody should frame subjects like that if it's what they really want to do; but it's worth being forewarned of the responses one might encounter.

See also: selective colour and HDR.

Last edited:
Reactions: PMN
Which is your opinion and that's fine, but it was Ross I was asking the question to. :)

I know ^_^. I was just butting in because I feel chatty. :D

However, it is worth pointing out that wacky framings like this are often regarded as clichéd and contrived, or just generally a bit tired. They often give the impression (rightly or wrongly) of someone trying too hard to appear "arty" and creative. And some will say it's just a lazy way of trying to make a photo stand out.

I think it works out OK in this one. It's good of you to point this out. I haven't come across the interpretation of the aesthetic we're talking about as 'too artsy' or 'trying hard'. I understand cliché but that wouldn't stop me if that's how I feel. Personally.

Thank you for such positive responses! It makes me feel like I am doing something right.
Like I said these are a small selection of photos that I have taken as I have been snapping shots as much as possible to try and get used to my camera, however many have already been deleted!

I'm glad that you all like my photos and I can tell you this is something now.... this is something I am really going to get into, its very therapeutic trying to get that good shot!

A cracking first set of images, Ross. If they're what you produced on your first outings with a camera then you're off to a much better start than I was! :)

The only image I'll comment on directly is the first one with the lighthouse, were you trying to achieve something specific in having it so far off level? I'm not someone who believes horizons always have to be perfectly straight and level but I can't see the benefit of having that one on such a slant, was there a reason for it?

I also took a few shots of the lighthouse straight on and when looking over my photos that evening this one caught my eye more than the rest. Like what @ghoti said it gives it that "arty" sort of effect which seems different and that's what I like :)

I also took a few shots of the lighthouse straight on and when looking over my photos that evening this one caught my eye more than the rest. Like what @ghoti said it gives it that "arty" sort of effect which seems different and that's what I like :)

Well if you like it then you like it, but it made me feel seasick (and I don't even get seasick!) I think @ghoti more meant it was kind of a 'false' arty look rather than it actually being art but I'm happy for him to correct me on that if I've made a wrong assumption.

The joys of opinion, eh? :)

Last edited:
Yeah everyone is equal to have their opinion so even if its arty or not, I like the shot and am rather proud of it seen as I'm new to all of this!:)

Not too keen on the lighthouse being at an angle, but the others I like.

Great work for someone who is new to photography:)

Well Ross, that's the first lesson: Beauty is very much in the eye of the beholder. You're stuff isn't for me, but that doesn't make it bad - what some people like, others don't. I'd start off shooting what appeals to you. Brose the photo books section of the library as well - plenty of coffee table books out there for inspiration and to help you develop a sense of what you like.

Would someone be able to critique the photo I just posted, I'm only a beginner.

Its usually considered polite to start your own thread for these things, but seeing as we're here.. :)

It depends on what you're after, to me it looks like a picture of a tree taken through a load of branches with an instagram filter applied. I guess the heavy vignette frames the tree quite nicely but overall it doesn't really do much for me.

Okay thank you I used sepia on my camera not instagram filter .

What was the light like? if you look at the photos posted by the OP then you will notice that the good shots have good light. A good subject helps too.

What were you trying to convey when you took the photo? What message were you trying to get across to the viewer?

The light was brightish , well I just liked the single tree by itself since it looked better than in a group. I'm just trying to experiment with different filters ect

To be frank, I know filters are all the rage at the moment but the image still needs to be strong in the first place for them to work. So, I would forget about filters until the photos you take can stand up for themselves.

Form the few things I've seen you post you seem to have good ideas its just that the images don't necessarily convey what you want. The good news is that you have the ideas in the first place (which can be the difficult bit) so you can learn to make them reality.

So, let me ask - if you look honestly and truly at the photo you posted, trying to forget everything else, what do you see?

Hmmm... Well to be frank I kinda just see a tree which stands out from its surroundings and other branches.

It's okay I guess, I would not use a filter on it and I would try to get more detail in of the sky.

To be frank, I know filters are all the rage at the moment but the image still needs to be strong in the first place for them to work. So, I would forget about filters until the photos you take can stand up for themselves.

I think some of the filters can also "save" a shot that has some slight technical issues with noise/exposure, but agree that the framing and subject needs to be spot on otherwise it just looks like you've used instagram app

I like the idea, but the tree kind of gets a little lost within the other trees. Perhaps if you got closer so just the single tree was framed then it might work better. Try to expose so the sky is not so blown, it might work if the tree is a siloute and the sky is visible. Keep trying. Keep clicking, keep asking

Its usually considered polite to start your own thread for these things, but seeing as we're here ..
You have something with this, Chloe. The vignette complements the foreground branches in framing the central tree and also softens the square picture boundary. The tree itself has an interesting shape. Can I challenge you by asking if it's an ash? Anyway, as described, it hangs together quite well.

The version you've posted is rather small. If you got better at re-sizing images you could've posted a higher-resolution one without falling foul of the forum's file-size limit, and we could see it better Another way is to post images elsewhere and link to them. Don't worry though, keep on with the adventure and try to stay true to yourself.

Some really good shots have been taken specially I like the shots of sunset. Its looking natural but there is a eternal beauty.

As others have said as you have just started you have done very well for your first effort and if my first DSLR photos were half as good as these I would have been happy.
I'm not keen on the angle of the lighthouse in the first one but I like the others and you certainly have an eye for good composistion.
The sunsets really do work well and if that's what you can acheive with a bridge camera, I can't wait to see what you can acheive with a DSLR :D

Back