Beginner New to photography

Name
Taron
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

I have inherited a Nikon D40 with x2 lenses. I don’t know how good/bad this camera is, so if someone can shed some light on this, that’ll be appreciated. It was my grandads camera who sadly passed away and am I wanting to use it and get into photography as a hobbie.
I’m totally new to all of this, but willing to learn. I have purchased the D40 digital field guide by David D.Busch. I’ve read it to get my head around the camera and photography itself.
I’ve also been learning about the “triangle”, as I know this is a fundamental and I think I have a slight understanding of it.
I live in Cornwall, so I would like to take photos of landscape, architecture and possibly wildlife, when I’m more confident. I do like the macro photos as well, so my question is, Would I be able to teach myself to be able to do all of the genres above?

The Nikon D40 isn't really comparable with the cameras of today but it's certainly useable. You may be happy with it :D Give it a go and see :D One good thing with digital cameras is that experimenting costs very little so you can snap away, alter the settings to see the effects and learn as you go.

I suggest using aperture priority but keep an eye on the shutter speed and ISO to make sure that the shutter speed isn't too low or the ISO too high. I tend to use aperture priority until the shutter speed drops too low and I then switch to manual and dial in the settings I want.

I don't know what lenses you have but wildlife and macro may be the most challenging. You may for example need a long lens for wildlife and you may not be able to get close enough for macro. One cheap and cheerful way to help with macro (but not as good as a macro lens) is to use a magnifying lens which screws on to the filter thread of your existing lens allowing you to take closer photographs and get a higher magnification. These are often called "close up filters" and you can get cheap and expensive ones. I have a cheap set. Something like these...

If you go for something like this get a set which either fit your largest diameter filter thread lens or are even larger. The filter thread size will be printed on the lens or the inside of the lens cap. You can then use stepping rings to allow you to use the close up filters on lenses with smaller diameter threads.

For example if one of your lens takes 55mm filters and the other takes 67mm filters buy a set of 67mm close up filters and a 55-67mm stepping ring, like this one...

Good luck with it and if you're not sure about anything someone here will always be ready to help :D

Last edited:
Would I be able to teach myself to be able to do all of the genres above?
In a word: "yes".

Photography is as easy or as hard as you wish it to be. My advice is...

1. Put the D40 into full auto mode.
  2. Go out and take pictures of anything that catches your attention.
  3. Go home and download the pictures into your computer.
  4. Look at the pictures and delete those you don't like.
  5. Go back to (1) and repeat the loop several times.
The key is to remember that taking pictures with a digital camera is effectively costless, so you can afford to try anything you want, as often as you want.

Above all: enjoy yourself.

Welcome to TP.

Agree with Andrew's advice above and I add only one more thing.

For any of your photos that you don't like or think are not good, try to analyse why.

Sometimes this is easy, eg if the photo is too dark, too light or blurred and then go on to deciding what went wrong. If you can't then post the photo up here with the details of the aperture, shutter speed and ISO and someone will be able to help.

Dave

I have had cameras for about 60 years, my digital cameras have included Canon, Panasonic, Fuji, Olympus and Nikon.
My main camera at the moment is a Nikon D40 which I have had for about 13 years! It still gives me pictures that I am pleased with. The low light performance is not great and neither is the pixel count compared with modern cameras but that should not stop you getting good results.
You should be able to take good pictures in all the genres you have mentioned although for macro you may need a new lens.
I did post my alternative to the exposure triangle on here some time ago. It may, or may not, be helpful for you. https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/exposure-triangle.708926/
To get good photos the main things you need to master are where to place the camera and when to take the shot.
As well as learning how to use the camera study composition and put the ideas into practice yourself, and look at other peoples photos that you like to see how the composition enhances the photo.

Good Luck and welcome to TP.

Last edited:
Hi Taron, and welcome to TP. My first DSLR was a D40 and although I have owned and used several other Nikon models I still have a D40 too :)

Take time to learn on simple subjects before going for the more adventurous stuff and, most importantly, enjoy photography :)

Photography is a great hobby and some people are very technically minded and others more artistic. The one thing is plenty of practice will help greatly and as others have said digital photography is effectively free unlike the film days.

You live in a beautiful part of the country so if landscapes are your thing then it’s on your doorstep. I found that landscape photography was not for me as I don’t have the patience to wait for the light but sports became my thing which I do most weekends. I’ve been doing that for over a decade now but am still learning and trying to improve.

Just get out there and have fun.

Thank you all for your replies, really appreciate them all.

Before I even start thinking about upgrading the camera, as I know it’s pretty old, I’ll go out and start taking some photos and see how I get on.

The lenses I was given were a, Sigma 105mm 1:2.8 DG Macro & the other one was a AF-S Nikkor 18-35mm 1:3.5-5.6. I understand what the numbers mean on the lenses but, am I right in thinking that the sigma is NOT auto focus and is ok for macro photos?

I’m wanting to go outside and ramble around my local area, but because of the poor weather and the light not being so good, do you think it’s best for me to practice at home? Maybe create some macro photos? And should I invest in a tripod?

Sorry for all the questions, I can easily get fixated with things like this and ramble on!!

Last edited:
A reply I made a while ago to a similar request

Not normally popular when I suggest it but think about Still Life.
You can arrange the objects to give good composition, choose the colours to create harmony or to clash, try different numbers of objects – is 1 best or 2 or 3 etc. Move everything around so that the light is from a different direction, diffuse the light, reflect the light, shade the light. Try different focal lengths at the same, and different, distances. Underexpose, overexpose by different amounts to see the effect. Experiment with different apertures for DoF. Change the ISO to use small apertures at shutter speeds where you can hand hold the camera without shake, check the amount of noise when using high ISO etc.
While doing all that you do not have to worry that the subject is moving, or will disappear.
It really is worthwhile because once you have the subject set up you are no longer worried about getting a good/great picture, it is all about playing and learning.

Like lots of people you may not be keen at first but once you start the details take over, and you get engrossed.

Welcome to TP @Taron
The 105mm sigma is an autofocus lens.

Wrap up warm and venture out if you wish- I like to say that light (just like clothing) is never good nor bad, but it can be unsuitable.

A very boring featureless sky indeed makes up 2/3 of the most expensive photograph ever sold.

Enjoy your journey.

My learner tip is to set the exposure on Aperture priority (so you can choose how deep your acceptable focus is), then the only decisions you need to make are where to stand, what to frame and what to focus on (manually choose which focus point - let the AF do it’s job). Basically you’re making pictures and getting support from the machine

The sigma is perfect for macro, its what is what made for. But depending on the model, it might not autofocus with the d40. However for macro, this isn't an issue. Set the focus ring to its end stop at the 1:1 end and then use your body to focus. Rock back and forth slightly and you'll see the focal plane move in the viewfinder. Takes a bit of practice but you'll get great results quickly.

I don't think it will autofocus with the D40 though.

Happy to be corrected
I think you are correct. I can autofocus with the nikkor lens when I half press the shutter button, but when I do this with sigma nothing happens. So I’m guessing it doesn’t auto focus.

A reply I made a while ago to a similar request

Not normally popular when I suggest it but think about Still Life.
You can arrange the objects to give good composition, choose the colours to create harmony or to clash, try different numbers of objects – is 1 best or 2 or 3 etc. Move everything around so that the light is from a different direction, diffuse the light, reflect the light, shade the light. Try different focal lengths at the same, and different, distances. Underexpose, overexpose by different amounts to see the effect. Experiment with different apertures for DoF. Change the ISO to use small apertures at shutter speeds where you can hand hold the camera without shake, check the amount of noise when using high ISO etc.
While doing all that you do not have to worry that the subject is moving, or will disappear.
It really is worthwhile because once you have the subject set up you are no longer worried about getting a good/great picture, it is all about playing and learning.

Like lots of people you may not be keen at first but once you start the details take over, and you get engrossed.
Thank you for this. I will be taking your advice and start off with something simple.

The sigma is perfect for macro, its what is what made for. But depending on the model, it might not autofocus with the d40. However for macro, this isn't an issue. Set the focus ring to its end stop at the 1:1 end and then use your body to focus. Rock back and forth slightly and you'll see the focal plane move in the viewfinder. Takes a bit of practice but you'll get great results quickly.
I have tried this already and as you can imagine I don’t have the steadiest hand yet. I might invest in a tripod and see how I get on. Would you say this is a good idea?

I have tried this already and as you can imagine I don’t have the steadiest hand yet. I might invest in a tripod and see how I get on. Would you say this is a good idea?
I used to do a lot of macro, insects mostly. I always used the manual focus body rocking technique. Never could get on with tripods.

I would recommend you persevere with that technique. You'll get it with practice.

By all means try a tripod too.

I used to do a lot of macro, insects mostly. I always used the manual focus body rocking technique. Never could get on with tripods.

I would recommend you persevere with that technique. You'll get it with practice.

By all means try a tripod too.
Thanks. I will see how I go with the rocking.

It’s not partially easy using a tripod for macro. By the time you’ve set it up, the insect has gone.

I have attached some photos that I took yesterday whilst at my local beach. I would very much appreciate your views on them and any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.
Oh a photo of my sons new present for Christmas

Attachments

• E41FC078-38B6-438D-927A-A87D273CB3CA.jpeg
    E41FC078-38B6-438D-927A-A87D273CB3CA.jpeg
    104.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 109305E1-9E5E-47EC-8531-D839A53DE7CD.jpeg
    109305E1-9E5E-47EC-8531-D839A53DE7CD.jpeg
    67.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 119BED5F-868F-4BA8-AB0C-90967548028D.jpeg
    119BED5F-868F-4BA8-AB0C-90967548028D.jpeg
    76.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 189D4B43-50B2-47EB-8E29-742D77C098B5.jpeg
    189D4B43-50B2-47EB-8E29-742D77C098B5.jpeg
    80.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 9FBE6A68-EA38-4D7D-A58E-25F8B1FB3A4F.jpeg
    9FBE6A68-EA38-4D7D-A58E-25F8B1FB3A4F.jpeg
    70.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 3392B756-436B-49EF-92CC-0F3BB9BCCCC0.jpeg
    3392B756-436B-49EF-92CC-0F3BB9BCCCC0.jpeg
    72.1 KB · Views: 40
  • D29D7F24-F173-4818-95B6-6F81F8F973CB.jpeg
    D29D7F24-F173-4818-95B6-6F81F8F973CB.jpeg
    77.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 4183F031-7217-42BD-9F3D-19BB931CCE95.jpeg
    4183F031-7217-42BD-9F3D-19BB931CCE95.jpeg
    84.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 0B5CE355-B521-49AF-BEE7-B66DDFF30BA0.jpeg
    0B5CE355-B521-49AF-BEE7-B66DDFF30BA0.jpeg
    72.9 KB · Views: 30
Nice but some don't look sharp. Maybe check your shutter speed and make sure it's not too slow and make sure you focus on something and that the camera does lock on.

I have attached some photos that I took yesterday whilst at my local beach. I would very much appreciate your views on them and any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.
Oh a photo of my sons new present for Christmas
It was a cracking day at Portreath today I was there about one o clock, it was tricky lighting. If you want to do wildlife get yourself to Tehidy with a bag of nuts and practice on the squirrels. :)

Nice but some don't look sharp. Maybe check your shutter speed and make sure it's not too slow and make sure you focus on something and that the camera does lock on.
Ok. Would you suggest I used the auto focus? Or keep trying in manual mode?

It was a cracking day at Portreath today I was there about one o clock, it was tricky lighting. If you want to do wildlife get yourself to Tehidy with a bag of nuts and practice on the squirrels. :)
Ah, hello fellow Cornish person I think wildlife is a bit advance for me at the minute. Still objects for me while I get use to the camera.

I am basically in the same boat, first Dslr. I put my camera on auto focus most of the time for the first few weeks just to get a feel of it. I would look at the settings of the pictures that I liked and try and replicate them.

Having it in auto mode means you can just concentrate on the photo and not worry sbout the settings, as I am getting used to it I am dipping into the other modes.

Have fun

I am basically in the same boat, first Dslr. I put my camera on auto focus most of the time for the first few weeks just to get a feel of it. I would look at the settings of the pictures that I liked and try and replicate them.

Having it in auto mode means you can just concentrate on the photo and not worry sbout the settings, as I am getting used to it I am dipping into the other modes.

Have fun
Hi Jaycee,
That sounds like a good idea, how are getting on with the camera settings now? I have been watching (a lot) of videos saying I should shot in A priority to start with. Is this something you advise?
I was told that in auto the camera chooses what it thinks the photo should look like, which could be different to something I would choose, if that makes sense
Thanks.

Ok. Would you suggest I used the auto focus? Or keep trying in manual mode?

I didn't realise you were focusing manually, I think maybe you should use auto focus unless shooting very close up stuff with the macro lens.

Hi Jaycee,
That sounds like a good idea, how are getting on with the camera settings now? I have been watching (a lot) of videos saying I should shot in A priority to start with. Is this something you advise?
I was told that in auto the camera chooses what it thinks the photo should look like, which could be different to something I would choose, if that makes sense
Thanks.
The photographer chooses where to put the camera, exactly what to put in the frame and when to press the shutter. No camera can make those decisions.

When you use the (semi) auto exposure modes all you’re handing over to the camera is the maths to ensure your exposure is ‘correct’. And if your camera disagrees with you, you have the option of overriding the camera’s decision by using exposure compensation.

An awful lot of learners fall into the trap of thinking that only fully manual is the ‘correct’ way to learn. And only after ruining loads of great opportunities do they either crack it or realise that they could benefit from the thousands of years of others experience.

@Taron
The misunderstanding of exposure and ‘Manual’ is this.
If you’ve pre-set your ISO and Aperture, then you follow the camera meter’s direction to set the shutter speed so the meter is at 0 then you might be in M mode, but the camera has just told you what to do.
The auto mode means you’ve let the camera use the settings it would have suggested you use. You can amend those settings if you feel the need by using exp comp.

So the truth is… if you’re using Aperture Priority along with exposure compensation- you’re actually controlling the camera to get what you want.

Whereas if you’re using Manual mode and simply zeroing the meter, you’re not actually making any decision, you’re just doing what the camera tells you (and exactly what it would have done in auto).

@Taron
The misunderstanding of exposure and ‘Manual’ is this.
If you’ve pre-set your ISO and Aperture, then you follow the camera meter’s direction to set the shutter speed so the meter is at 0 then you might be in M mode, but the camera has just told you what to do.
The auto mode means you’ve let the camera use the settings it would have suggested you use. You can amend those settings if you feel the need by using exp comp.

So the truth is… if you’re using Aperture Priority along with exposure compensation- you’re actually controlling the camera to get what you want.

Whereas if you’re using Manual mode and simply zeroing the meter, you’re not actually making any decision, you’re just doing what the camera tells you (and exactly what it would have done in auto).
Thanks Phil. Now I think have a better understanding. So am I right in thinking that if I was in manual mode and I zeroed the meter, the camera is doing the same as it would in Auto? but with it in manual/ semi-auto, I have the ability to adjust the exposure compensation?

Please forgive me if I have got this totally wrong.

I didn't realise you were focusing manually, I think maybe you should use auto focus unless shooting very close up stuff with the macro lens.
I agree. I have realised that the sigma lens, even though it’s auto focus, it doesn’t with my D40. So I guess I will use my nikkor lens on auto Focus to get a sharper image.
Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks Phil. Now I think have a better understanding. So am I right in thinking that if I was in manual mode and I zeroed the meter, the camera is doing the same as it would in Auto? but with it in manual/ semi-auto, I have the ability to adjust the exposure compensation?

Please forgive me if I have got this totally wrong.
In Manual, you can choose to set the exposure wherever you like, but if you set the SS to 0 the meter it’s exactly the same as the camera would have set in Auto.

In M if you set the SS half a stop lower than 0, it’s exactly the same as using half a stop of - exp comp.

I agree. I have realised that the sigma lens, even though it’s auto focus, it doesn’t with my D40. So I guess I will use my nikkor lens on auto Focus to get a sharper image.
Thanks for the feedback.
Most people don’t use AF at macro distances anyway (as several mention above).

With your std zoom though at regular distances, AF is the better option. Though you should select your AF point to focus on your chosen subject.

Last edited:
Hi Jaycee,
Thanks.

I am using Aperture priority setting more and more. The Auto setting was just to get used to the camera, how to compose the picture etc, it takes a while for things to sink in with me. I was out the other week around dusk and I wanted to capture the scene, I knew there was an evening setting on the camera but couldn't find it. there was a chap standing next to me that I had been talking to so I said " If I knew how to use it would be a good thing" "I was thinking the same thing" he replied. :D

Having the confidence to get the camera out with people not only around you but in the shot took a bit of time for me.

I am using Aperture priority setting more and more. The Auto setting was just to get used to the camera, how to compose the picture etc, it takes a while for things to sink in with me. I was out the other week around dusk and I wanted to capture the scene, I knew there was an evening setting on the camera but couldn't find it. there was a chap standing next to me that I had been talking to so I said " If I knew how to use it would be a good thing" "I was thinking the same thing" he replied. :D

Having the confidence to get the camera out with people not only around you but in the shot took a bit of time for me.

I like Aperture priority until the shutter speeds drops too low and than I use manual and dial in the shutter speed and aperture I want. This is made easier for me as my camera has auto ISO and also allows exposure compensation in manual exposure mode.

Curious as to what part of Cornwall you live?
I thought there was a clue in post #22 & OP’s photos, could be wrong ;(.

Back