New to SLR photography comments and critism welcome!

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi :eek:)

I'm new to SLR photography and still very much learning so your comments and critiques will be extremely welcome! here are some of the my first photographs shot with my new Nikon D40 using Nikon DX -55mm

Nightshot Leeds
1591458648_8eb6fa1129.jpg

Close up plant 1
1588897345_77c230183b.jpg

african violet
1580940331_b5c5049255.jpg

leeds cityscape
1592145227_c72a51601c.jpg

Cheers.

Welcome to the madhouse :naughty:

I like the two flower shots, nice and crisp, well done :D
Not a fan of cityscapes but quite like the first one, the last one does nothing for me:)

Some lovely shots there :) I really like the small depth of field on the second shot, makes the photo almost 3D. The first shot is nice too, but cant help but feel a few light trails from some cars might just add a tiny bit more interest to the shot :) Nothing wrong with the last two either but they dont jump out at me as much as the first two.

Look forward to seeing some more of you work (y)

Hi and :welcome: to the forums :wave:
No2 is the winner for me :) Focus point spot on and the DOF works beautifully

Number 2 is definately the best of the bunch, would have been nice to see the ends of all four bits in focus even though the increase in DOF may have compromised the background effect.

Welcome to the forum (y)
2nd shot for me too. I pretty much agree with Mr.Lemon but would recommend using flash & a diffuser for the style of shot in No.3 as the shadows are quite harsh. Agree about the light trails in the 1st but the colours & exposure look very well done.
Looking forward to more (y)

Personally I like the 3rd shot best it is a nice picture with what I would consider a substancial enough depth of field, I am also amazed by the quality of the images for such an affordable camera.

-Xclam

Thanks guys for all your comments, so much appreciated, I am still very new to the SLR photography and look forwards to trying new ideas out, some of which have been suggested.

Wild_For_Nature

Back