New to video, help needed.

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
Im a professional photographer who knows nothing about video. I have just bought a Sony A6000 as my personal use camera and I intend to do lots of videos of my kids. Do any of you know of any good video tutorials on shooting video mainly camera settings (P or I 60 or 24) and basic editing and saving. I have a mac book pro to use for the editing but I'm thinking i may need to get a Bluray burner. I have zero interest in video for work this is for family especially our 2 week holiday to Florida we have coming up.

At the moment I use lightroom for editing the video

I would suggest that you do know something about video, as the basics are the same. Composition, lighting and view point, the fact that the camera remains recording instead of taking one image is the only difference.

You have a Mac so I assume that comes with it's own video editing software, and one assumes that your Sony will produce mpg2, avi or m2t files, and as I am not conversant with Mac editing s/ware I just assume it will be able to handle these files, as it's native will be .mov ?

I do not use a DSLR for video but I have found that beginners make similar mistakes in making sudden, and quick movements causing blur and that's easily fixed by investing in a rig for your camera if you want to carry on with video.

I just had a look and the file format is AVCHD and I would set it for 60i.

My only tip is to film for editing, and remember the long, wide and cut-away shots.

You really do not need a Bluray burner, as unless you are filming a Hollywood blockbuster, a normal DVD will suffice. A few years ago, I did a friends wedding and they are very long but that fitted onto a double sided DVD easily.

Scott

Here are some pointers. With video framerates, the higher they are the smoother the footage appears to be. For example, films are shot at 24fps usually (fps = frames per second), and as a result look 'filmic'. Higher framerates like 50fps (PAL regions) and 60fps (NTSC regions) give video a smooth motion look. Sports and TV soap operas use these framerates, and they're good for filming families and holidays if your camera supports it (which yours does).

Regarding P and I... Never use i unless there's no other option. It's horrible. It stands for 'interlaced' and means that TWO frames are stored in one by having one line of pixels showing the first frame, and the second line of pixels showing the next frame, alternating all the way down the image. It's basically a leftover from analogue TV days, and can cause artifacts and problems when it comes to editing the clips unless you set up your editing software correctly.

P stands for 'progressive', and each frame is saved one after another as a sequence. Simple, more detailed, more efficient, and easier to edit with. All video you watch online is progressive.

So, I guess the best framerate option for your use is 60p.

If you're shooting to edit, always shoot a few seconds more after you think you've finished recording. It gives you some extra room to play with in the edit (such as fades).
When you're filming, make sure that you stick with your subject, rather than going here there and everywhere, unless it's something worth changing to. Treat them like photographs if it's a video of something stationary, but add some movement to keep things interesting, like a pan, but make sure it's relevant.

Back