New to video, some questions....

Name
Laurence
Edit My Images
No
I've posted this elsewhere but should have done so here as it's video specific.
I'm just about to embark on shooting video on my A6500 never having done so before. I can find lots of YouTube stuff about general settings for video but I still have a few grey areas to clear up.
I'm unclear as to what are the best settings when just about to film in terms of exposure.
I understand that I should set shutter speed to twice the frame rate so should I set aperture to get the DOF I want and set the ISO to auto or am I still thinking too much in terms of shooting stills?
Alternatively:
Shutter at 2x frame rate
Aperture set to suit DOF/optimal IQ for lens
ISO set to (say) 200
all this latter with a variable ND filter?
Thanks for looking.

Sorry mate, I forgot to respond to you on the other thread, this looks fine. The variable ND may effect your cameras AF system a little.

I use much the same method on m Canon 7D , fix the shutter at 2x frame rate, fix the aperture and ISO on Auto, for most of my basic shooting
Thanks for that.
I did that earlier in the garden but the sun was very strong and over exposed the scene quite badly.
I did a bit of research and bought a variable ND filter to see if that would help.

Thanks for that.
I did that earlier in the garden but the sun was very strong and over exposed the scene quite badly.
I did a bit of research and bought a variable ND filter to see if that would help.

It will help, just keep an eye out for the X when using it.

There are more important things to worry about than trying to conform to that shutter rule especially if that means you feel obliged to mess about with NDs.
You could just let the camera do it on auto it will be fine.
I would tend towards a flatter profile if you use the default see if contrast saturation and sharpness can be dropped a point or so - the defaults are almost always too high.

There are more important things to worry about than trying to conform to that shutter rule especially if that means you feel obliged to mess about with NDs.
You could just let the camera do it on auto it will be fine.
I would tend towards a flatter profile if you use the default see if contrast saturation and sharpness can be dropped a point or so - the defaults are almost always too high.
I've yet to find out what a profile is...

The one I bought is the K&f Concept which is heavily promoted as:
NO Spot X Black X Issue
We shall see.:LOL:

I have one, yet to see an x even on super wide angle lenses.

Back