Name
John
Edit My Images
No
Look at this badboy:

hass1.jpg

hass2.jpg

hass3.jpg

Arrived last week, but couldn't use it because the 80mm lens I'd ordered (in the shot) wasn't suitable, so I had to wait for a 100mm to be delivered. Only shot a single job on it so far, which was a still life, but can't wait to get into the studio.

Image quality is obviously ridiculous, it's just completely incomparable. A complete change from 35mm format DSLR's, though. Much slower, focus moves at about the same speed as continents, but it's never wrong. Much steeper learning curve than 35mm, but completely satisfying.

Shutter sounds like a samurai slicing through a melon.

Suffice to say I'm very happy, so thought I'd share!

As my daughter would say, "i'm well jell" :)

I was sitting next to my girlfriend on the couch the other night, and I started getting fidgety. I jumped up and said "Oh **it, I think I might've left the safe open in the studio!". She told me I best drive down and check. So I did.

When I got there I casually unlocked the safe, which I knew was locked, and sat staring at the camera for about 25 minutes and then just drove back home.

She never suspected a thing. I had an affair with a camera.

I was sitting next to my girlfriend on the couch the other night, and I started getting fidgety. I jumped up and said "Oh **it, I think I might've left the safe open in the studio!". She told me I best drive down and check. So I did.

When I got there I casually unlocked the safe, which I knew was locked, and sat staring at the camera for about 25 minutes and then just drove back home.

Genuinely love this.

:LOL: Brilliant.

Last edited:
But what's it like shooting a brick wall at ISO 3200??

That's all that really matters.

I have just made a bit of a mess of myself...

I wouldn't be able to upload files anywhere nr that size with my 1/2mb upload speed. So that's the only reason I'm not going to buy one.
Honest guv

I've got a hard on just looking at the pics. :eek:

Congratulations and enjoy it John! Ignore any GEMs (green eyed monsters) who might wonder why - "because" is a good enough reason! Much as I would love one, my money would (and did) go on my car - the D700 kit is enough for me photographically and an MF kit would be even purer self indulgence than the XF. I hope the fact that it's a tool as well as a toy doesn't affect your affair!!!

£22k on a camera
I drive a £1.2k car :LOL:

My car doesn't earn me money.

If you think that's crazy look at the H5D-200. 600mb TIFF files :)

The multi shots are ridiculous - the quality is another step up again from medium format. But totally useless for anything with a pulse. And anywhere that doesn't have concrete floors.

Congratulations and enjoy it John! Ignore any GEMs (green eyed monsters) who might wonder why - "because" is a good enough reason! Much as I would love one, my money would (and did) go on my car - the D700 kit is enough for me photographically and an MF kit would be even purer self indulgence than the XF. I hope the fact that it's a tool as well as a toy doesn't affect your affair!!!

I wonder if I'll ever get past the stare-gormlessly-while-heavy-breathing stage whenever I use the camera.

Truth is though is that it is a tool. I'm not really a camera guy. Before this I did all my work with a single body and two lenses. Career is now at a point where medium format is critical to advancing and landing the kind of jobs I want, so it's an investment.

Can't tell you how many things I'd have rather spent the money on!

My car doesn't earn me money.

The multi shots are ridiculous - the quality is another step up again from medium format. But totally useless for anything with a pulse. And anywhere that doesn't have concrete floors.

I have a friend who shot a Rolex campaign with the multishot 200, and he said the retouching on it was an absolute nightmare. With the macro he was picking up individual specks of dusk that had fallen into cracks in the metal. It's a polished surface, so imagine how close you'd have to be to see cracks!

I'm not trying to be funny, but do you really need a £20,000 camera to take photos like those on your website? Or is it just to say you shoot with one?

Any example photos of this camera, I'm curious to see what it can do!!

I'm not trying to be funny, but do you really need a £20,000 camera to take photos like those on your website? Or is it just to say you shoot with one?

You quoted Jonathan, but you appear to be talking to me. I can't work it out though.

Any example photos of this camera, I'm curious to see what it can do!!

Going to put the camera through a few tests soon, I'll post up here.

Honestly, though, it's not really that different from a 5D2 file. The colour tone is obviously a lot better, and the images are much, much sharper at 100%, and obviously they're twice the size, but all of that together doesn't make as much of an impact as you'd think.

However, underexpose an image, or blow the highlights, and then you can really see what this camera is capable of. The recovery potential and dynamic range is in another world compared to 35mm cameras.

Like I say though, side by side at f8, the only real difference you see is sharpness and colour. I suppose that's obvious, it's just not as "OH MY GOD" as you'd think it would be.

Last edited:
There's a youtube video of the D800 vs a Hasselblad, doesn't look too much in it, but the skin tones of the Hasselblad look better and the recovery of files is impressive. Very nice piece of pro kit though.

sorry long day

If you want to see what I do - here's my business site. If you're into social media then check out my Twitter feed though it tends to get a bit random.

Can you tell me what this camera will do that you cannot already do?
What is the big deal with a medium format camera?
I'm no artist so maybe i havent got the eye to notice the difference, so just curious what you expect this £22k camera will bring, that you already havent got. Or what it will allow you to do.

And no i'm not after one, if i had £22k it would just go on my mortgage :)

In the grand sceme of things its probably a resonable price for a Studio Camera, My brother had a photo shoot of a model for a hair competition and was charged 15k. So do that a couple of times and he's soon got enough to buy one of these.

I'm no artist so maybe i havent got the eye to notice the difference, so just curious what you expect this £22k camera will bring, that you already havent got. Or what it will allow you to do.

Twice you've quoted me. Though I suspect you have the wrong person. I have neither a 22K camera nor a mortgage.

On the offchance you are trying to pick a fight with me, then you really do have the wrong person.

sorry long day

Can you tell me what this camera will do that you cannot already do?
What is the big deal with a medium format camera?

And no i'm not after one, if i had £22k it would just go on my mortgage :)

It means I can shoot really sharp pictures of ducks in the park

Anyone who has an issue with £22k for a camera and can't see why or how the small differences are worth £20k clearly doesn't understand the law of diminishing returns or just simply doesn't need the small differences.

i think anyone who says anything negative is just jealous.

im just looking forward to when its been through a few owners and appears in the classifieds section :D

Fantastic looking camera and I can totally understand your new toy feelings. One thing that interests me is what made you chose a Hasselblad over the Phase One offerings? Not a decision many of us will have to make.

Twice you've quoted me. Though I suspect you have the wrong person. I have neither a 22K camera nor a mortgage.

On the offchance you are trying to pick a fight with me, then you really do have the wrong person.

as it happens it was another brain out of head moment, not reading properly and long shifts,so for that i apologize....
but please leave your threats to someone who might possibly feel threatened and i can assure you that is not and will not ever be me.

Back