New toys for testing from Godox AD200 twin head

(y)

Mike, can you confirm the LED rating? I'm assuming it's 2x the same LEDs as fitted to the AD600, ie 10w x2, but I can't seem to find a definitive answer.

Cheers.

Ok here's my dumb post of the day... the head for this is for the bare bulb whereas the LEDs are part of the frensel head?

Ok here's my dumb post of the day... the head for this is for the bare bulb whereas the LEDs are part of the frensel head?
The LED's are visible on the twin ad200 head
(The yellow dots in the picture)

Hello,

I am a beginner and I don't know what this device is about.Can you please help me Mike?

On my test list for this evening, they look like the AD600 LEDs so potentially double the light of an AD600

Cheers Mike. The flash tube unit blocks about 0.4 stops of light with the AD600 (0.8 stops with the 1200Ws head) so you should get at least one stop more brightness out of the AD-B2 adapter (y)

From the review I saw of this you can put 2 of the standard flash tubes into it or they do one that fits across the 2 plugs sections. so only 1 flash tube. But the review said that the 2 tubes together was a little more powerful than the single.
Oh and it was noticed that you get a little more power using this as it does not let light leak backwards as its enclosed.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0QHeiEH6L0

Last edited:
Cheers Mike. The flash tube unit blocks about 0.4 stops of light with the AD600 (0.8 stops with the 1200Ws head) so you should get at least one stop more brightness out of the AD-B2 adapter (y)

@HoppyUK a quick test and getting 400lux from the AD600 and 900lux from the AD200 twin head

From the review I saw of this you can put 2 of the standard flash tubes into it or they do one that fits across the 2 plugs sections. so only 1 flash tube. But the review said that the 2 tubes together was a little more powerful than the single.
Oh and it was noticed that you get a little more power using this as it does not let light leak backwards as its enclosed.

The standard single Godox adapter is a big black ring with an adjustable slot in the middle that clamps the flash unit in position. Obviously, a lot of light is going to get absorbed by that, or allowed to pass clean out of the back and wasted. The answer is to cut a cardboard disc with a flash gun shaped hole in the middle, use white card or cover it in kitchen foil, and pop it over the front of the adapter, secured with BluTack or Velco or slip the edges under the mounting screws etc - whatever works with whatever softbox. Very easy, instant extra power.

@HoppyUK a quick test and getting 400lux from the AD600 and 900lux from the AD200 twin head

Sounds good Mike. Then it's definitely 2x 10W LEDs.

Next question, if you mount just one AD200, do both LEDs light? I suspect not, but you never know :)

Thanks!

Sounds good Mike. Then it's definitely 2x 10W LEDs.

Next question, if you mount just one AD200, do both LEDs light? I suspect not, but you never know :)

Thanks!

@HoppyUK
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNP6CqO2l4E
and only 1 LED per AD200 attached - found something interesting though, if you use just a single bulb in the centre socket (probably for even light distribution you use just AD200 position 1, put the AD200 bulb on in the middle and it just takes power from AD200 in position 1 but if you have both AD200s attached then position 2 just used to power the second

Mike

Last edited:
Good stuff Mike, cheers (y)

I've been using the AD600 on loan quite a bit and the modelling LED is usable as a working light in the studio, but is hardly dazzling. The AD-B2 combo obviously beats it on that score.

BTW, are you aware of any problems of robustness with the Bowens modifier mount of the AD600? It doesn't look all that beefy, and is retained by only three screws (as opposed to four or six) and I just wonder about security on a blustery day with a big softbox. Perhaps it's nothing.

The front of the AD600 could do with a make-over though - fix the recessed flash tube issue that simply throws away a chunk of brightness (poor design that), double-up the LEDs and maybe beef up the mount. It would increase weight and price a little, but worth it IMHO.

Good stuff Mike, cheers (y)

I've been using the AD600 on loan quite a bit and the modelling LED is usable as a working light in the studio, but is hardly dazzling. The AD-B2 combo obviously beats it on that score.

BTW, are you aware of any problems of robustness with the Bowens modifier mount of the AD600? It doesn't look all that beefy, and is retained by only three screws (as opposed to four or six) and I just wonder about security on a blustery day with a big softbox. Perhaps it's nothing.

The front of the AD600 could do with a make-over though - fix the recessed flash tube issue that simply throws away a chunk of brightness (poor design that), double-up the LEDs and maybe beef up the mount. It would increase weight and price a little, but worth it IMHO.

Not aware of anything but the position of the bulb on the AD-B2 shows that the AD600 could do with a makeover. My personal belief is that it was designed with the Godox mount in mind and the Bowens mount was the afterthought, having taken one apart (an AD600) I am looking at modifying myself to test for improvement

Mike

Last edited:
I'm not seeing a positive outcome from this question.

It's a faux account. A "beginner" who just so happens to be flogging a paid photography app, who comes on for a few minutes at the same time everyday posting on random threads then disappearing.

The link to the app was already broken by the mods but it seems 'she' has reinstated it (gone again?).

Last edited:
It's a faux account. A "beginner" who just so happens to be flogging a paid photography app, who comes on for a few minutes at the same time everyday posting on random threads then disappearing.

The link to the app was already broken by the mods but it seems 'she' has reinstated it (gone again?).

Huh... would have thought the mods would have been all over that account then. Apologies I wasn't aware.

Huh... would have thought the mods would have been all over that account then. Apologies I wasn't aware.

I think they've been monitoring...

So if you are using the 2 units but just the one AD360 bulb in the middle how are you controlling it ? i.e. can it be controlled from just the one unit when they are both on, I'm guessing TTL wouldn't work in this circumstance, probably a dumb question, I do have a lot of them :)

So if you are using the 2 units but just the one AD360 bulb in the middle how are you controlling it ? i.e. can it be controlled from just the one unit when they are both on, I'm guessing TTL wouldn't work in this circumstance, probably a dumb question, I do have a lot of them :)

It'll work just the same as 2x AD200 bulbs with all functions.

Edit: I assume, though not tried it yet. I don't see why not, though there appear to be marginal performance advantages with the 2x bulbs route (a smidgin brighter, possibly faster flash durations).

Last edited:
It'll work just the same as 2x AD200 bulbs with all functions.

So if using the wireless trigger you would only have to operate one unit then ? or would you need to adjust the power on both units, hope I'm making sense :)

So if using the wireless trigger you would only have to operate one unit then ? or would you need to adjust the power on both units, hope I'm making sense :)

Yes. If they're on the same channel/group, they will work as one. They're actually functioning independently, but simultaneously. AD600 when doubled up into the 1200Ws head works in the same way - no problem at all.

Reactions: TG.
Yes. If they're on the same channel/group, they will work as one. They're actually functioning independently, but simultaneously. AD600 when doubled up into the 1200Ws head works in the same way - no problem at all.

Sounds good then, I was thinking about an AD600 but this has now thrown a spanner in the works, lol, 2 AD200s for a little cheaper than a 600, and a bit more adaptable :thinking:

AD360 bulb does not work

Mike

AD1200 is a bit different in that it uses a single bulb with 2 elements inside, each dedicated to an AD600 head and the AD-B2 uses 2 seperate bulbs but essentially operationally they are almost identical

Mike

AD360 bulb does not work

Mike
Which one then please Mike, I thought I read if using just the one in the middle it was the AD360 bulb

Sorry I'm not getting it, so are you saying you just use the middle bulb from one AD200 ?

Blimey sounds to good to be true, but that's Godox for you :)

Blimey sounds to good to be true, but that's Godox for you :)

Just to clarify (from what I have read), the options are

1) 1 AD200, with bulb in centre position
2) 1 AD200, with bulb in offset position
3) 2 AD200, with bulbs in both offset positions

IE The Centre bulb position is simply an alternative when using a single AD200.

Back