new wildlife photographer

Name
kev
Edit My Images
Yes
hi all im after some advice please fancy having a go at wildlife/nature photographty but not sure on how to go about it am i better of going to the local park and shooting away (excuse the pun :LOL:) or shall i go for a walk by myself and "hide" somewhere and wait and see what comes along i have all the camo clothes my camera kit is a canon 1100D with a 18-55 mm lens plus a tamron 70-300mm lens :thinking:

practise practise practise..... it wont take long to get to know what works... it all really depends on the weather and what your planning to achieve... you may want to obtain a tripod for some of the longer range shots, especially if theres poor lighting

Try and set up a bit of a feeding station, ideally somewhere quiet,where you know that birds visit,put on the 70-300 use your tripod,maybe get a seat of some kind,and sit and wait be patient and just keep shooting,try and experiment with different setting until your happy with the outcome then practice practice practice,and last but not least enjoy yourself.

Leave the 18-55 at home!! If you know wildlife already, you'll be surprised what comes out of the woodwork if you sit somewhere (sensible) and just wait/watch.

The first thing you will find is that there is no substitute for focal length and even 300mm is going to have you studying small specks in the middle of the viewfinder.

Next thing is to learn how to get closer to your subjects........;)

Starting at your local park is a good idea, get to know whats about and learn to approach without disturbance, Research your local wildlife organizations, and go out on field trips with them.

Patience and Fieldcraft pay dividends.

I've only been taking wildlife photos for about a year since I bought a decent camera, patience is the key, it's a bit like fishing, you can sit for hours and get nothing, I need a longer lens as well but I've still managed to get a few decent shots. The main problem for me this year has been the weather, when I've had time to get out and about the weather has been terrible,very frustrating.Good luck and keep at it.

If you have a garden Kev, you could set up a natural looking feeder and have a go there.

If you get a wireless remote you could set up the camera on the tripod and put it near to the feeder for some closer shots.

You may have to cover the camera - not because it will scare the birds, but because they will use it as a perch and probably "decorate" it.

Dave

Last edited:
thanks guys dave yes i do have a garden and used to have a really nice feeding station until my nextdoor neighbour got a couple of cats which have turned into 8 (but hey thats another story) and that has put pay to the birds coming in the garden hoping for some decent weather at the weekend so i can get out there keep the advice coming please

Hi Kev ,don't be disheartened with having cats next door,we have two dogs,and three cats(with bell's on thier collar ) which really help ,and we still get all the usuall garden birds ,it's just a matter of situating your feeders in the right place ,it may not always be possible but it as worked for us.....also if you get a window feeder all you need is a perch nearby (cat friendly) and the bird will usualy land on that before the window feeder giving you a chance of a few shots ,hope this helps and good luck

Last edited:
Back