New Year Fireworks London

Name
Graham Mc
Edit My Images
Yes
Where's the best place to capture new year fireworks from the Embankment ?
are they let off near the London Eye ? I've seen a few really nice photo's on here of the London Eye at night just along from the old GLC building in about 4 different coloured lit up buildings and wondered is this the area best to shoot from ?
Then there's parking which could be a big problem.

I went last year - without the camera. Got there 3 hours before the fireworks were due to start and could not get anywhere near Embankment - the Police had closed access to it due to the high number of people.

You need to get there extremely early if you are to stand any chance of getting any kind of decent view.

It will also be nigh on impossible to get decent shots I would think as you'll need a tripod and it will be VERY difficult to set it up somewhere that it's not going to get kicked or trip someone up.

I too was thinking about going to Embankment for the fireworks at the London Eye. Someone had told me that you need to be there at about 6pm - is this true, or is even that too late? If you go down and set a tripod up, then sit in a camping chair for the evening, would you be okay or would it still be too packed/crowded for a tripod?

not necessarily for photography, but for viewing the embankment and all other displays across london Hampstead Heath is meant to be very good.
Now somewhere high enough WOULD be good, using my 150-500 on my tripod, i could be in range with the BIGMA, lol. Maybe even Muswell Hill, Harrow on the Hill (NW)might just be too far lol and even Shooters Hill(SE). :LOL:
Hmm, i'm even thinking of Greenwich Park now.

Last edited:
Now somewhere high enough WOULD be good, using my 150-500 on my tripod, i could be in range with the BIGMA, lol. Maybe even Muswell Hill, Harrow on the Hill (NW)might just be too far lol and even Shooters Hill(SE). :LOL:
Hmm, i'm even thinking of Greenwich Park now.

Greenwich park is just up from me, fantastic views toward Canary wharf and along, but they do "close" around 7pm. People still seem to get in somehow, but the big gates are definitely locked. Not sure if they may stay open on NYE?

kuohu said:
I too was thinking about going to Embankment for the fireworks at the London Eye. Someone had told me that you need to be there at about 6pm - is this true, or is even that too late? If you go down and set a tripod up, then sit in a camping chair for the evening, would you be okay or would it still be too packed/crowded for a tripod?

Looking at how busy it normally is id say tripods and chairs would be a big no no..

My sister went years and years ago to Trafalgar Sq, now that's a place that used to be heaving, probably out of bounds nowadays. The Embankment is a very very long road running alongside the Thames, but i can't get my bearings as to what might be in the way in the way of buildings, bridges etc.

Primrose Hill is meant to be a great spot for a view across the city's fireworks on NYE apparently.

Primrose Hill is meant to be a great spot for a view across the city's fireworks on NYE apparently.

Thanks Jak another option.

for a view right across the city and everything inbetween, Epsom Downs (up on the racecourse carpark) is great, it just has to be a clear evening

Epsom ? blimey o'reilly thats Berkshire, my lens will only get 2p size images lol, thanks, there could be light rain according to the forecast but it sa long way off even for weatherforecasters.

I posted this in another similar thread thats popped up:

"I have never tried before but have attended all the good displays at some point in time. So can offer two words of wisdom

- I think the best site for setting up would be by the Eye/ southbank / maybe Embankment

- get there EARLY.. I am honestly talking like 5/6pm as the crowd will quickly reach thousands and trying to setup a tripod in the midst of all that will be impossible. Get there early at the front and stake claim to some ground. A chap last year also wore a reflective coat thing (like a steward / someone official) so people gave him more room and moved when he politely asked"

I posted this in another similar thread thats popped up:

"I have never tried before but have attended all the good displays at some point in time. So can offer two words of wisdom

- I think the best site for setting up would be by the Eye/ southbank / maybe Embankment

- get there EARLY.. I am honestly talking like 5/6pm as the crowd will quickly reach thousands and trying to setup a tripod in the midst of all that will be impossible. Get there early at the front and stake claim to some ground. A chap last year also wore a reflective coat thing (like a steward / someone official) so people gave him more room and moved when he politely asked"

That sounds really practical, i know you're giving good advice but i wouldn't want people poking their heads in while trying i'm to concentrate on the next shot or multiple shots with a black card :thinking: maybe i'm being a bit self conscious do you think :(

Waterloo bridge is a good vantage point, but you will need to check if there are any restrictions on New Year’s Eve.

I went a few years ago, before my togging bug, there was enough room for people to mill around, people with buggies etc, great views from embankment of the eye and fireworks. The problem is when it ends............ a huge rush to get off embankment. It took me an hour and half to get from opposite the eye to westminster bridge. My advice would be take the tripod, there will be room during the evening, after the event, pack up, get out your flask and sit and watch the world go by. You will be, and i mean WILL be, there for a long time or spend a long time looking at the back of someone's head while being pushed and shoved to hell and back.

Don't miss it though, the fireworks are fantastic!!

We haven’t been since they ticketed. I’magine it would be better than our experience - in that 6 hours in increasingly crushed conditions, with demented people pushing and pushing, a drunk with a street terrier shouting “I want to get to my disabled mum!!” And pushing past us to the front, we were at the front! Then fighting with anyone he could, until, thankfully he needed a pee after about two hours and went off. We had a fantastic view.... which became a great view when the tide came in and the boat in front of us raised up!
The fireworks were fantastic. So at 12:30 we’d had a really brilliant time. Back at Rickmansworth, soaking wet and exhausted at 04:30, we weren’t so excited ;)
It took a very long time to exit the area, and as we were going north, we had Trafalgar Sq crowds to deal with. No cabs, a long wet walk to Baker Street.

Well worth the effort, though. There’s no way I’d have ben able to use a tripod, and the weather meant I had to be really careful with my camera.

Back