Newark Augustinian Priory

Name
mirek
Edit My Images
Yes
Could not sleep last night, so I went to wander around with my camera. It was perfect weather for morning mist (no wind, no clouds, temperature around 8c, and it was raining the day before ;) ) so I end up at this lovely ruins, which are located in the middle of field surrounded with River Wey.
Must say my pants were full, firstly because of dozen bulls residing this little area, and secondly because of what happen in the morning, when the sun finally came above woods...

As always I really appreciate your comments...

Very cool cinematic treatment!

Excellent Mirek (y)

Keep posting

I like this later one even better!
…simply because the WB is accurate.

I think the pigeon helps :LOL:

Lovely shots of Newark Priory :clap: I've just been passed there tonight

These are really excellent images, beautifully lit and composed, and with intriguing atmosphere.

Wow...these are stunning Mirek - I think the first is my favourite for the light on the priory. Although the grass is very light for the time of day with the double exposure, it works for me because of the amount of light coming in from the right. The lighting and mood of both are just exquisite.

Really do like the first one.
Great balance for the eye to see; the quad of tree, bird, sun and Ruin, all hold the eye in the central part of the frame.
Super composition, timing and execution.

A lovely pair Mirek, but for me No 2 is the pick, frosty grass, sun through the mist and silhouette of the tree... Really Nice work(y)

Wow...these are stunning Mirek - I think the first is my favourite for the light on the priory. Although the grass is very light for the time of day with the double exposure, it works for me because of the amount of light coming in from the right. The lighting and mood of both are just exquisite.

:agree:

Really nice work but something doesn't sit right with me on the first shot, not sure what just feels a tiny bit over done, also dont think the birds help! The second shot looks much nicer imo, looks more natural to my eye, and the bird sit's much nicer.

always shooting with "daylight" preset on my camera, to keep WB as accurate as possible (firs one too) ;)

I think so, I was over the moon when realised that I`ve managed to freez it in my shot ;)

First one is stunning because of the bonus side light on the ruins. Well handled exposure/s and nicely processed.

The daylight WB thing is something David Noton swears by and has clearly worked here. I have tried it and for me it does not actually work, I know it is important not to remove certain colour casts, but what the eye expects to see and how our brains compensate for whites in particular versus how the camera records the difference between actual light and its daylight preset can cause some issues.

ETA; at this size I don't like the birds in the first shot but maybe they look better large/in print.

Last edited:
something doesn't sit right with me on the first shot, not sure what just feels a tiny bit over done

I think I know what you mean, I'm thinking ito may be bit too much in one picture, personally I feel it should be less vibrant/saturated, not much but I believe it will make a difference

Thanks Neil

what the eye expects to see and how our brains compensate for whites in particular versus how the camera records the difference between actual light and its daylight preset can cause some issues.

That's true, but eye/brain adjust and compensate, so we don't really realise as much the tints or color casts unless we have some reference as other source of light in scene to compare two. For example street lights at twilight. Camera on the other hand set for one preset such as daylight is more constant and it will always record colors same way... it doesn't work in all situations, but most of the time work great. Obviously you need to adjust your daylight when filters have been used.

Thanks Craig

Thanks all for your comments

Last edited:
Super shots! Nicely composed and exposed.

Need to be careful here as the priory is on private land, plus the cows / bulls can be a bit frisky. I got chased off by one a couple of years ago from the spot across the river. Had to make a hasty and painful retreat over a barbed wire fence.

the cows / bulls can be a bit frisky. I got chased off by one a couple of years ago from the spot across the river. Had to make a hasty and painful retreat over a barbed wire fence.

These bulls were young and bit crazy, i was having a heart attacks at least 5 times that morning, but finally managed to outmaneuvered them, grab around 10 exposures and "run for my life"

always shooting with "daylight" preset on my camera, to keep WB as accurate as possible

This is an incorrect approach to (and understanding of) WB!

Kodiak with full respect, you can't say it's incorrect, as setting WB depends on personal and subjective preferences, and honestly daylight works for me most of the time... ;)

Kodiak with full respect
Don't worry Mirek, having different opinions is
NOT a lack of respect.
setting WB depends on personal and subjective preferences
As it was explained in many threads here on TP,
WB is, at SR, the less critical of all the exposure
parameters that will produce a good DR in the RAW
file.

WB is a personal and subjective preference only at
rendering and publishing. Based on this, in natural
or other light, Auto WB is the simpler choice that will
ease the workflow prior to SS and in post-production.

…but, of course, you should do as you please. :)

Ok but, auto WB from my d800 gives different results from my friends 5D mk3 should I trust programmers from Nikon or Cannon or maybe both are incorrect?
I know what you try to say, but for me changing auto to daylight reduced my pp decisions by one ;)

These are only tools that come with many options.

I certainly don't use my gear the same way than
everyone else but experience made by others plus
the ones I made sum up to acknowledge practices
that may make the workflow… flow better.

All these experiences are to be seen as guidelines
certainly not as rules or laws. Vive la différence!

Mirek very nice work I like them both.

I used to live just up the road - now that brings back memories of early mornings with my old Nikon :)

Lovely photos BTW

Hi Mirek, Can you tell where this is a beautiful place? the pictures are absolutely stunning, the colors are beautiful, everything like a fairy tale ..

Very special photo I think.

Not many days of the year you could catch the ambiance. Also potentially quite spooky.

Like them both.

Mj

Hi Mirek, Can you tell where this is a beautiful place? the pictures are absolutely stunning, the colors are beautiful, everything like a fairy tale ..

It's near Ripley in Surrey. Follow the river and you'll find it. But do watch out for the cows - I nearly got nailed by them a few years back when shooting at dawn - had to leg it and leap the fence.

I'm not so much of a fan of UWA but I do quite like the first, very dramatic sky but not sure the log adds too much interest in the foreground.

The second I really like, there's a great sense of depth even with the more natural perspective and the light and scene are beautiful, pigeon and all!

Hi Mirek, Can you tell where this is a beautiful place?

this is exact place 51.311018, -0.507795

everything like a fairy tale ..

This is Britain ;) love the British landscapes, which are idyllic, the weather usually testing our patience, but when is happening it`s happening big...

not sure the log adds too much interest in the foreground.

I think it does, it is balancing the top of the frame, quite well, without that log, it would be kinda empty

Glad you like the second one

watch out for the cows - I nearly got nailed by them a few years back when shooting at dawn - had to leg it and leap the fence.

Cows usually are whatever, it`s bulls that looking for the fight, they were trying to get me for about an hour, I managed to keep them in distance, the biggest problem was to direct them that way, which will aloud me to be in the spot i wanted... ;)
First rule with all animals is to not run away... and try not to show you scared, I`ve also used my tripod, fully extended, with legs wide open, pointing it towards the bulls, which in their eyes made me much bigger...

Very special photo I think.

Not many days of the year you could catch the ambiance. Also potentially quite spooky.

Like them both.

Mj

I agree, that morning was special

brings back memories

Glad to hear that

Thank you people for all comments

regards

Last edited:
The FG on the first is definitely a bit too bright for me, I'd might want to add a touch of clarity to it too - both lovely shots though. Good work.

Back