Beginner Newbie advice

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Everyone,
I'm mark and I am looking for some advice, I have spent two weeks looking for a new camera as I'm tired of using my phone which isn't that great, in the past I have had film cameras the best being the Nikon F80, I currently have in a drawer a Canon Sure Shot Supreme and a Canon S45 which both still work after 20 years lol.
So when I first looked at new cameras I was shocked at the prices :eek: and after realising its been quite a while and calming down I set a limit of £1000 and after looking at the usual suspects: Canon EOS M6 II Sony A6400 (to much rolling shutter) Z50, Z5, Fuji and others I though maybe its better to get a good body and a used lens for now?.
So I've found a new Z6 body for £1049 which is supposed to be great with the firmware upgrade last year and is pretty much the same price as a new Z5 body or a full Z50 kit.
I will be using it to take images of the grand kids, my most awesome border collie and 4k video of the same. I know it seems a lot for a beginner but I believe in the bye cheap buy twice way of thinking plus I have plenty of time to learn how to use it hopefully.
Any way any advice is welcome, thanks
Mark

I can't speak for the other brands but Canon have two formats in the mirrorless section which will probably end up being one too many. They have the EF-M range and the RF range. I think Canon are putting most of their eggs in the RF range, and if I was buying a new mirrorless camera system, and chose Canon, I would go down the RF range too.

Hi Everyone,
I'm mark and I am looking for some advice, I have spent two weeks looking for a new camera as I'm tired of using my phone which isn't that great, in the past I have had film cameras the best being the Nikon F80, I currently have in a drawer a Canon Sure Shot Supreme and a Canon S45 which both still work after 20 years lol.
So when I first looked at new cameras I was shocked at the prices :eek: and after realising its been quite a while and calming down I set a limit of £1000 and after looking at the usual suspects: Canon EOS M6 II Sony A6400 (to much rolling shutter) Z50, Z5, Fuji and others I though maybe its better to get a good body and a used lens for now?.
So I've found a new Z6 body for £1049 which is supposed to be great with the firmware upgrade last year and is pretty much the same price as a new Z5 body or a full Z50 kit.
I will be using it to take images of the grand kids, my most awesome border collie and 4k video of the same. I know it seems a lot for a beginner but I believe in the bye cheap buy twice way of thinking plus I have plenty of time to learn how to use it hopefully.
Any way any advice is welcome, thanks
Mark

Hi Mark65

Have you considered ""Grey Market"" Cameras ?

They are the Same cameras that are bought here in the UK but are shipped directly from overseas thus you pay less, and the usually give a 3 year warranty on the gear you buy ..

I`m not getting into the "why for and why not" about Grey market products as it opens up a whole other discussion, However it is safe to say that there are dozens of guys on here including myself that have bought thousands of ££££££,s of camera gear from the likes of "Panamoz" .. you can find them >>Here <<

I don`t know anything about the Nikon Z50 but I`m sure lots of guys on here could give you all the technical stuff that you may want to look into .

What I do know is that its wayyyy better than a phone, it gets you into the mirrorless system, I know that guys on Youtube use it for Vlogging so it must be decent enough, it definitely has High quality 4k Video at up to 30fps,

On the Panamoz site they have 4 separate bundles . One bundle includes the Camera, a 16-50mm lens which would be good for Portraits and landscapes , a 50-250mm lens which would do for various other walk about uses, Plus a FTZ adaptor for use with older Nikon lenses the total cost for that Bundle is £1,090 NEW ..

You may not need the adaptor if you dont have any F mount lenses, but you can buy the 2 Lens bundle without adaptor for £1,000 ..

For a Total beginner it may be worth taking a look and doing some research to see if it meets your needs ... Like I said earlier there are lots of guys on here with tons of experience on what may be best or better for you ..

This is only my opinion , the final decision is yours .. hope this is of some help

Coho-Blue

Last edited:
Don’t forget the computer to edit plus editing software , it’s a bottomless pit. It’s like a government budget, starts cheap…….I would just get a second hand DSLR. Once you know it’s not a fad or whim you are going through then spend the big money.

Ignore - I hadn’t read the whole OP

Last edited:
Hi all,
Thanks for your advice so far, I have a Legion 5 Prop laptop and a desktop so that should solve that bit lol.
Pre owned seems to cost the same as a new grey import.
I've looked at the Canon RP as well but the Z6 seems much better and I would rather have something I don't use than don't have and need down the line.
Panamoz have Nikon Z6 Mirrorless Digital Camera with 24-70mm f/4 Lens and FTZ Mount Adapter Kit for £1600 cheaper than buying the lens separately. (£2100-£2200 in UK price fixing) and have excellent reviews. and a longer warranty.
I will make a decision this weekend,

Mark

Last edited:
Have a look at used sellers like mpb. You’ll get much more for your budget.

Have a look at used sellers like mpb. You’ll get much more for your budget.
Hi, I did look there, body only same price about that the grey import is new and I'm sure I've read that others have traded or sold there imports to them no problems but thanks for that.
If there was only 100 to 200 difference in price I would go the uk way but 500 to 700 that's a lot.

Hi all,
Thanks for your advice so far, I have a Legion 5 Prop laptop and a desktop so that should solve that bit lol.
Pre owned seems to cost the same as a new grey import.
I've looked at the Canon RP as well but the Z6 seems much better and I would rather have something I don't use than don't have and need down the line.
Panamoz have Nikon Z6 Mirrorless Digital Camera with 24-70mm f/4 Lens and FTZ Mount Adapter Kit for £1600 cheaper than buying the lens separately. (£2100-£200 in UK price fixing) and have excellent reviews. and a longer warranty.
I will make a decision this weekend,

Mark

Good luck with your decision and purchase , , look forward to seeing some Photos

Coho-Blue

Hi,
Plunge taken :oops: :$ told the wife it was 1k, just a bag to get and memory card.
Now the card:
Updates from firmware version 2.10 or earlier require an XQD memory card and card reader. Updates from firmware version 2.20 or later can be performed with either an XQD memory card and card reader or a CFexpress card reader and a CFexpress memory card approved for use with the current firmware version.

I'm not sure what it will come with but if its below 2.10 I will have to acquire a xqd card to update the camera (maybe Amazon then return and swap for the faster CFexpress which seems faster?

Lexar Professional CFexpress 128GB Type-B Card (LCFX10-128CRBNA)​

128GB £125, does that sound ok or does anyone know cheaper.

Thanks

Hi,
So its been 8 business day and my stuff is still in a TNT facility in Kingsbury, where the information keeps repeating itself?.
Has anybody else had there stuff delivered by TNT, it seems the Covid malarkey is a great excuse for them.
Not sure when it arrive.
TnT.JPG

Maybe it's one of the few that are actually being dealt with by customs.

Speak of the devil, camera arrived today and it registered on Nikon's website, I wont start it up till tonight as it stone cold.
It came with a English manual and serial starts with 8, I found a website that said Nikon originally allocated the first number as the country it's sold in and that 8 was the UK, not sure if that's the same now.
No warranty card paperwork inside.
Paperwork has the name and address of the sender from Hong Kong.
Anything else and I will let you know.
Mark

Hi Mark, how are you getting in with the camera and how did you manage with the firmware update?

Back