Beginner Newbie alert here

Name
Trev
Edit My Images
Yes
Howdo all Newbie person here, I'm just after some advice on what camera to buy... I'm a novice with taking pics I've had a Nikon coolpix camera but i wanna take it a step further and get a DSLR camera which will be my first... I'm looking at getting a Nikon Camera, I've been looking at getting a D5300 or D5500 i do love the touch screen with the D5500 but if i get a D5300 i can build up my lenses... so i don't know which way to go, I'll be mainly taking pics of Landscapes and festivals that sort of thing... also where is the best place to buy from as i heard alot of stories of grey imports which i don't want...

any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Trev

Hi Trev and welcome to TP. There are loads of threads from Newbies asking about their first camera. One of the best pieces of advice is to go to a shop and handle them in real life, to see which suits you best. I would also add that not to discount other makes, as you might prefer the ergonomics of another brand. The other piece of advice I would give is always buy the best lenses you can afford, camera bodies depreciate and are superseded fairly quickly, but lenses don't as much. As to where to buy, I guess that depends on where you live.

I've got the d5300 and am very happy with it, I don't know if you'd see any difference between image quality between the two.

I bought mine in March and was initially a bit disappointed with not having touch screen but now after many walks in the freezing cold with my gloves on I'm really glad not to have it and when I eventually upgrade I'll be looking for models without touch screens.

I've had a Nikon coolpix camera but i wanna take it a step further and get a DSLR camera which will be my first... I'm looking at getting a Nikon Camera, I've been looking at getting a D5300 or D5500 i do love the touch screen with the D5500 but if i get a D5300 i can build up my lenses...
If you're comfortable with a Nikon Coolpix then it probably makes sense to look at a Nikon DSLR first. All the manufacturers make hugely competent cameras and none of them have lasting technological advantages, but a Nikon DSLR will share some of its DNA - menu structures, terminology, etc - with a Coolpix and so operation of the camera ought to be a bit easier for you than if you bought (say) a Canon or a Pentax.

Re the 5300/5500 decision, I'm afraid I can't help. Personally I don't see the point of a touchscreen in a DSLR, but maybe other people can shed light on that.

It is true, though, that cameras depreciate faster than lenses; plus they become obsolete faster and there's more of a risk that you'll outgrow them. So your first DSLR won't be your last. You should spend more on lenses than on the camera.

Hi Trev and welcome to TP. There are loads of threads from Newbies asking about their first camera. One of the best pieces of advice is to go to a shop and handle them in real life, to see which suits you best. I would also add that not to discount other makes, as you might prefer the ergonomics of another brand. The other piece of advice I would give is always buy the best lenses you can afford, camera bodies depreciate and are superseded fairly quickly, but lenses don't as much. As to where to buy, I guess that depends on where you live.

Thanks for the welcome :) Yes i've done my homework and had a feel of both cameras and both feel good.. i might go the cheaper camera like the D5300 then and build my lenses up rather than buying an expensive camera and can't afford better lenses... i was looking at buying from the likes of currys or john lewis from Liverpool as i don't know anywhere else that would stock it...

I've got the d5300 and am very happy with it, I don't know if you'd see any difference between image quality between the two.

I bought mine in March and was initially a bit disappointed with not having touch screen but now after many walks in the freezing cold with my gloves on I'm really glad not to have it and when I eventually upgrade I'll be looking for models without touch screens.

Thanks for the tip about the touch screens and yes when i did have alook at both models i was impressed with the touch screen but i might go the cheaper option so i can get better lenses :)

If you're comfortable with a Nikon Coolpix then it probably makes sense to look at a Nikon DSLR first. All the manufacturers make hugely competent cameras and none of them have lasting technological advantages, but a Nikon DSLR will share some of its DNA - menu structures, terminology, etc - with a Coolpix and so operation of the camera ought to be a bit easier for you than if you bought (say) a Canon or a Pentax.

Re the 5300/5500 decision, I'm afraid I can't help. Personally I don't see the point of a touchscreen in a DSLR, but maybe other people can shed light on that.

It is true, though, that cameras depreciate faster than lenses; plus they become obsolete faster and there's more of a risk that you'll outgrow them. So your first DSLR won't be your last. You should spend more on lenses than on the camera.

Thanks for the info yes, i love the Nikon brand my friend has a Panasonic Lumix and had a look at it a few weeks ago but it wasn't for me, i went to have a look at both D5300 and D5500 and both are lovely to hold but i think i've mad my mind up and go for D5300 so i can afford better lenses in the future :)

Thanks all for the info

much appreciated

Welcome Trev,

You'd do worse than going for a secondhand D700 full frame DSLR.

The difference is amazing and a much bigger and brighter viewfinder.

They can also be snapped up for a bargain nowadays.

Don't let a camera or lens being a grey import put you off.
Great savings to be had and some come with a longer warranty than UK stock, just 3rd party warranty.

Let us know what you get and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Terry.

Many of my friends have had great experiences with the smaller Canon and Nikon bodies. You benefit from a warranty if buying new.
My dad has a D5000 and continues to take fantastic photos. Without the size and weight disadvantage of FF or larger 'pro level' bodies!

As mentioned in other posts, grey import is fine as long as you have the warranty! I've personally bought stuff off digitalrev before. With the current exchange rates though there isn't as many savings to be had.

Such a fun task to choose a new camera body. :)

I would echo others, I went to John Lewis to have a look around the imaging department as I could do, or rather am tempted to upgrading my aging model. They have a really good range of models and were very helpful. Also you may get better deals second hand, but as its your first one, Id have thought new would be better - as it's a new area for you, best to be on the safe side?

Welcome Trev,

You'd do worse than going for a secondhand D700 full frame DSLR.

The difference is amazing and a much bigger and brighter viewfinder.

They can also be snapped up for a bargain nowadays.

Don't let a camera or lens being a grey import put you off.
Great savings to be had and some come with a longer warranty than UK stock, just 3rd party warranty.

Let us know what you get and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Terry.

Thanks for the info

Its like a minefield on picking the camera body out hahaa too many to choose from but my heart is set on D5300 i think as i can afford to buy extra things to go with it like a carry bag and SD card if i went for the D5500 then i don't think i'd afford the bag n case... plus the touch screen isn't the make or break deal i guess

I've just heard bad things about the grey imports so that has put my right off sorry

Many of my friends have had great experiences with the smaller Canon and Nikon bodies. You benefit from a warranty if buying new.
My dad has a D5000 and continues to take fantastic photos. Without the size and weight disadvantage of FF or larger 'pro level' bodies!

As mentioned in other posts, grey import is fine as long as you have the warranty! I've personally bought stuff off digitalrev before. With the current exchange rates though there isn't as many savings to be had.

Such a fun task to choose a new camera body. :)

Yeah its a task alright haha yes warranty is a big yes so i'll be buying it from new just so many choices haha i've held the nikon D5300 and D5500 so thats my choice but going to go with the D5300 as i can buy the accessories i want can't afford the accessories with the D5500

I would echo others, I went to John Lewis to have a look around the imaging department as I could do, or rather am tempted to upgrading my aging model. They have a really good range of models and were very helpful. Also you may get better deals second hand, but as its your first one, Id have thought new would be better - as it's a new area for you, best to be on the safe side?

Yes i think i'm going to order off John Lewis as they have them back in stock and order the accessories off the net... yes it will be my first camera so i'd like to get the warranty just incase anything did go wrong with it....

Thanks all for the comments and info provided its been really helpful...

Back