Newbie help please

Name
Kate
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I wonder if any of u can help me please. I'm by no means a photographer (I did do photography as part of my degree course many years ago before the days of digital cameras) I currently have a basic digital camera - Nikon coolpix s9600. Here's my dilemma, I like to go to concerts and take pics but I'm really struggling with the camera I have, I just want to be able to take clear crisp images of the bands, I'm usually right near the front so don't need a huge zoom but would like to maybe zoom in a bit on the band members individually. I need to be able to get good image quality in low light conditions with a fair bit of movement (they dance) with no flash, most of my images come out blurred. Are there any settings on the camera I have that will help with this issues or should I upgrade my camera? I want something simple to use and on a budget. I don't know if I need a dslr or a bridge camera, or a basic digital camera I've been trying to research online but it's a minefield. Many thanks in advance X

Hi Kate, I am no expert but I think for this sort of photography you could struggle with a bridge camera, a DSLR would be a better choice. Both Canon and Nikon do great cheap ish cameras, the 1100D for Canon and D3200 for the Nikon, both are great starter for a beginner too. Someone will give help here too.

If it's low light with a lot of movement then you need a high ISO (1600+) and a fairly wide aperture lens as well as a camera capable of focussing in low light.

Unfortunately this adds up to a fairly substantial outlay (+£1000 S/H).

However you could start with cheap S/H crop camera like a S/H Canon camera with maybe 10-15MP and the Canon 50mm f1.8 and a program like Neat Image to aid with the noise.

Learn to use those before moving on to a better (and more expensive) setup.

Of course the only problem with such a setup is focussing at low light so expect a lot of binned results.

Plus have you checked the viability of using even a small DSLR at concerts?

Many concerts will ban such cameras where you may get away with phone cameras and bridge cameras.

Just a thought.

But good luck and welcome to TP

Many thanks for your advice, I am swaying towards a bridge camera as I know I'm able to take those to the gigs.

Is there one you could recommend which would give decent results?

Thanks again x

Hi Kate, I am no expert but I think for this sort of photography you could struggle with a bridge camera, a DSLR would be a better choice. Both Canon and Nikon do great cheap ish cameras, the 1100D for Canon and D3200 for the Nikon, both are great starter for a beginner too. Someone will give help here too.

Many thanks for your advice, I will have a look at those X

Welcome to the forum Kate :wave:

Hi Kate, And welcome aboard TP."Enjoy".

Thank you all for your advice, I will definitely check all of these out and let u know which I I go for. Look forward to chatting more soon

Hi, I wonder if any of u can help me please. I'm by no means a photographer (I did do photography as part of my degree course many years ago before the days of digital cameras) I currently have a basic digital camera - Nikon coolpix s9600. Here's my dilemma, I like to go to concerts and take pics but I'm really struggling with the camera I have, I just want to be able to take clear crisp images of the bands, I'm usually right near the front so don't need a huge zoom but would like to maybe zoom in a bit on the band members individually. I need to be able to get good image quality in low light conditions with a fair bit of movement (they dance) with no flash, most of my images come out blurred. Are there any settings on the camera I have that will help with this issues or should I upgrade my camera? I want something simple to use and on a budget. I don't know if I need a dslr or a bridge camera, or a basic digital camera I've been trying to research online but it's a minefield. Many thanks in advance X

Hi Kate, I'm in agreement with Dave on this one. I upgraded from a bridge camera to a Nikon D3200 and get some fantastic photo's doing the same thing with it using a 55-300 lens. I'll add an example for you here. I'm new here too so not sure how to add a photo but will if I can work it out.

Stereophonics24 small.jpg

Thanks for the advice poppypix, great photo! That's just the kind of result I'm after lol x

Back