Newbie on the forum, stupid question time.

Name
Colin
Edit My Images
Yes
Good afternoon peeps.

Im a 46 year old lad, that took photography at skool, that was 1986, things have appeared to have moved a bit since then.

Im looking for help help and possibly a bit more help.

The last time i used a camera it was 35mm or my phone, hangs his head in shame.

Back to the story, next year me n wifey are going to our fave place on earth, as long as its still there after this week, Florida.
She who must be obeyed (swmbo) would like to take sunset pics in key west, and scenery views or as they might be, distruction, around Florida.
Im looking for info on a good previously loved camera and recommendations on a good starter camera.
Any good info is appreciated and listened to.

Kind regards

Colin

Hi Colin, And welcome aboard TP. "Enjoy".

Welcome, what is your budget?

@rick448

£200/250 looking for something previously loved,something just to start with.
Was offered a sony a230 for £150 but the reviews we a bit hit n miss. Going to look at a nikon d3000 for £150 looking at reviews at the moment with an 18-55mm lens and a 70-300mm lens at an extra £50. Looking for infomation on it at the moment.

Its one of them, you dont wanna buy sometging and have ya peers say oooo i wouldnt have bought one of those they.......
You know what i mean
Im a vehicle engineer so someone asks me which tools i use, and i use alot of facom / snapon and usa made tools. If someone told me they were a professional engineer with a full halfords tool set, i would be unsure, not disbelive there ability.
I say this as i have an engineer that swears by halfords and he is amazing.

Colin

Last edited:
Hi Colin and welcome to the group

Welcome fella.

Remember that the only stupid question is the one you don't ask. You have to expect every level of answer from some very clever, very witty and sometimes some grumpy gits on the site but all mean well.

As for your needs you'll probably need to go second hand. It's worth looking at what you can afford from places like London camera exchange or MPB photographic amongst many. When you've an idea than ask for feedback on those cameras.

I've just started out myself with a camera and lens from MPB. The site said the camera was in good condition and I haven't found a mark on it, couldn't be happier with the product, the price was good too

Years ago I started back in photography with the Canon 350D and the kit lens.

Way back in the day I had been a pro photographer so had a good idea what I wanted and the 350D ticked all the boxes.

Virtually any digital camera these days is capable of producing brilliant pictures - the limiting factor is you!:)

But you need to remember some things the main one being what computer you have.

When I got the 350D I had a PC which by today's standards was VERY slow with limited RAM - but the 350D was only 8MP so my PC could handle it - I now have a 1Ds MKII and 17MP - and I have an i7 and 24GB RAM to cope with them.

So that is another factor you have to consider.

But anyway whatever you decide - :welcome:

Years ago I started back in photography with the Canon 350D and the kit lens.

Way back in the day I had been a pro photographer so had a good idea what I wanted and the 350D ticked all the boxes.

Virtually any digital camera these days is capable of producing brilliant pictures - the limiting factor is you!:)

But you need to remember some things the main one being what computer you have.

When I got the 350D I had a PC which by today's standards was VERY slow with limited RAM - but the 350D was only 8MP so my PC could handle it - I now have a 1Ds MKII and 17MP - and I have an i7 and 24GB RAM to cope with them.

So that is another factor you have to consider.

But anyway whatever you decide - :welcome:

Oh man computer, never even crossed my mind, we only use a lappy,hd 1080 but a lappy never the less.
Ok thanks @petersmart

:welcome: to the forum :wave: enjoy

Looks like ive done the deal nikon d3000 18-55 and 70-300 lenses.
Collect them Friday

Well i collected it all today, and im happy.
Haven't had time to play as on call and been out most of it.

Back