Newbie wi-fi questions

Edit My Images
Yes
Probably dumb questions, but...

1. If I want wi-fi, do I need to get a replacement ADSL/cable router with wi-fi capability... OR, is there such a thing as a wi-fi router that can plug into my existing ADSL/cable box? All of the wi-fi boxes I've seen at PC World seem to be ADSL routers.

2. How many simultaneous wi-fi connections do home wi-fi routers typically support? (i.e. is it more than 1?)

Thanks!

A.

If your current ADSL modem has an ethernet port, you can use a Wireless Access Point plugged in with an ethernet cable. A good reason for an all-in-one ADSL modem/router is neatness. Instead of 2 boxes, 2 power supplies, 2 management consoles, 2 IP address ranges(or conflicts!), you get everything in one handy package...

Theoretically, a wireless router could support 254 wireless connections on its subnet, although you can limit the address range in the options.

PC World overcharge in my opinion, and I wouldn't give them my time or money... You should be looking for something like a Netgear DG834G - I've bought so much stuff from OcUK, I'd recommend them to anyone...

You can get a wireless access point (AP) that just goes into a wired lan port on your router.

This is the one I use.. http://www.pcstats.com/articleimages/belkin80211ap_perspec.jpg

It is a network device so is assigned a local IP address (one that's in same ip range as your router).. that then becomes the gateway for the wireless pc's.

I don't know if there are any limits on wifi, you can access more than 1 so if there is a limit it is probably manufacturer enforced.

I would second the advice about getting a proper router if possible.. We use that one at work and it's very quick to setup. Also great for wan access of the router configuration which is great for managing our london office.

Back