Beginner Newborn/Mother/father photoshoot :-)

Name
Damen
Edit My Images
Yes
hi guys

I did post in people and portraits but I am also still learning.

I had the chance to photograph this beautiful new born baby, he is only 2 weeks old and weighed 7lbs 5oz :-0

Daddy is a solider in the army so baby had a lovely grow on.

Here are some photos :)

DSC_0018-Edit by damen ford, on Flickr

DSC_0038-Edit by damen ford, on Flickr

DSC_0006-Edit by damen ford, on Flickr

dexter 14 (1 of 1) by damen ford, on Flickr

DSC_0058 by damen ford, on Flickr

DSC_0019-Edit by damen ford, on Flickr

DSC_0062 by damen ford, on Flickr

DSC_0036-Edit-2 by damen ford, on Flickr

If you are looking for feed-back... sorry but that damn water-mark took my attention in just about every shot, away from what may have been an otherwise technically competent if slightly cheesy piccie.
What do you want any-one to see and remember in these pictures? The newborn bab, or your name?
DSC_0063.. wonderful use of natural light.. two faces rather competing for attention, and IMO the mother probably grabbing more than the baby, who really should be the star of the shot... but BOTH loose to that ruddy bit of branding!
You say you are still learning.. but all that water-mark is doing for you is detract from what may otherwise be a very charming picture, and make your aspirations in publishing the pic seem pretentious!
DSC_0028? Go back to your OoC original without the water-mark...New Dad gazing with wonder at baby, gazing back with wonder; nicely executed, with uncluttered back-ground, and then... RIGHT in the middle of both subjects eye-line.... "DAMEN FORD FEUXTOGRAPPHY" That is NOT what they were looking at! That is NOT the subject of the shot! that is NOT what should be shouting at me from the picture!
Its not adding anything to the photo. It is taking SO much from the shot, and it's not protecting any intellectual copyright one bit. You have published these shots to web. Anyone that wants to 'steal' your image can do so with a two clicks of the mouse and on such flat background it wouldn't take much longer to remove your brand, if they want to hide the 'theft'.. but essentially you gave away your rights to the photo the moment you uploaded, and I wouldn't be surprised if that isn't even in the T&C's of whatever host-service you have used. So, other than spoiling what otherwise could be very intimate photo's, what is it doing for you? Advertising your work for others to buy? They'll only hire you IF they see the photo you took and like it, rather than be blinded by your brand. A-N-D you actually have a service to sell!
Sorry, its a pleasant and competant set, ruined, by a needless water-mark, to my sense of aesthetics.

For me, I think the close-up baby only shots are very nice. The rest are a bit posed, a little cheesy at times and some of them I'm just not getting at all, especially the baby being held up at each end. We can't see his face and the nappy takes away from it too. I'm guessing most were the parents idea though.

Back