Newborn on the way, looking for a complementary camera

Edit My Images
No
We have our firstborn on the way and I'm considering what system to buy into to document the next few years. I've owned nearly every system (except Cannon) over the years, but still can't decide! About 1-2 years ago I consolidated to my Lecia M9, 28mm 2.8, 35mm f2.4, & 50mm f2 (alongside 2 Voigts - 15mm & 35mm 1.2). Realistically that's plenty to do what I need, to me that's a system I'll keep for life, but I can see the benefit of a system with better ISO performance for indoor shots (I think she'll move a lot) alongside liveview on the rear screen & autofocus to get those low down shots. I've an X70 & WCL which is great, but a bit of bokeh would be nice.

I think the sensible choice is a Fuji X-T1 or T2 with 23mm 1.4 & 56 1.2 (or 90mm f2). I'd probably throw in a 16mm 1.4 later down the line. I've owned the 16mm & 23mm before. That would be a bulky system (lens wise), could go with the f2 versions but I'd find those a bit boring (I've owned the X100S & T with 23mm f2). The interfaces on these cameras are very bloated, workable but I spend more time in the menus than should be necessary.

Considered going back to micro 4/3, probably the 25mm 1.4 & 45mm 1.8... but the IQ (specifically tonality) isn't as good as APSC or FF. Great system with fast AF & lightweight.

Nikon D700... great system but too heavy.

Sonys I've had the A7, A7R, and A7II alongside the RX1R. No complaints from an IQ standpoint but the UI is terrible & the experience of using them just isn't fun.

The other couple of options I've considered are selling the 35mm f2.4 & f1.2 and buying a 35mm f1.4 FLE. The 1.2 is great, but the images are a bit cold from the lens, manual focus is accurate and smooth but slow, and it's HEAVY. The 1.4 should remediate some of that and allow for a higher shutter speed indoors on the M9. May potentially throw in a 90mm f2 further down the line.

The option I shouldn't go with (but want to!!) is to buy a Leica Q! I'm not convinced 28mm 1.7 is the right lens for a newborn/toddler.... it could work but I don't think as well as the Fuji system.

Bit of a brain dump - I'm interested to understand what systems others have bought into for this?

Last edited:
Congratulations on the one on the way!

All I would add is to satisfy the itch that is for the Leica; Have you thought about a Sony RX1R? I had one for a good while and was bowled over with the definition and quality; Sure its a 35mm fixed Zeiss lens, but it is good. Not sure on your budget, but that could be a good option to have in addition to whatever kit you end up with. Easy but takes absolutely stunning full frame shots. When I get a job back, I'll definitely adding one again to my collection.

To me face / eye detect and not having to hold the camera at half arms length in front of my face are things that make a real difference as you can concentrate on composition and the right moment to press the shutter rather than focus and where you can focus so that points to mirrorless as does being able to focus accurately anywhere in the frame.

So, there are now multiple mirrorless full frame options to look at.

It seems Sony are out but I do have to say that I just don't get the repeated terrible UI complaints as once you've set the thing up how often are you going to dive into those terrible menus? So if non Sony "fun" is the point go for the Fuji or one of the FF mnirrorless options from Canon, Nikon or Panasonic.

Other than that. My experience of photographing babies is limited but from what I've done I'd be going for something in the 50mm to 85mm range and f1.8 and just about every system will have those.

In my experience, having a selection of cameras & lenses is all well and good when you're setting up to "do" photography.

Most of the time though, it's "quick, grab your camera..." because a moment is happening. The last thing you want to be doing is thinking "which camera? what lens is on what?" or "hold on while I..."

For that sort of photography, I'd recommend settling on the 50mm focal length which is a do anything fov. If it were me, it'd be 40mm because I prefer it (and love my 1.2 Nokton), but the M9 with the 50 will do the trick. Fuji wise, I have the X-T2 with the 35mm f/1.4 but the AF on it is a bit slow, so I'd consider the f/2 version for "grab & go". Not sure what you're doing in the menus with the Fujis but I find them exceptional for "set & done" setups. Also not sure what you mean by "boring" when referring to the lenses.

Don't over think it. It's not about the gear, it's about the memories. In the years to come, having images with a bit of noise you can only see zoomed in at 100% will be meaningless. You'll likely have a million photos and no time to look at them anyway. Just having the images wil be priceless. You want a setup that you know how to operate quickly and reliably so that you can get the photos. Both Leica and Fuji (would) hit that button (for me).

Thanks for the feedback both, I've had the RX1R before and no doubt it's a great camera. The part I struggled with the rear screen in sunlight, I did have the external EVF but for some reason I couldn't get a clear view - sounds weird but my eyelashes kept getting in the way. I found it worked best with the extended eyecup. I think I might give this a second thought... the EVF is articulated which is great for low-down shots, and the camera is a lot more compact than the Q plus 35mm is a better focal length.

woof woof - I'll also give the Sonys another look, I never used them for native lenses just as a high-ISO platform for the Leica glass (adapted). Thinking it through that could be a good option again, I could still use the existing lenses with some of the benefits that the body brings, but also add in some native AF lenses! Maybe I was a bit harsh on the UI!

In my experience, having a selection of cameras & lenses is all well and good when you're setting up to "do" photography.

Most of the time though, it's "quick, grab your camera..." because a moment is happening. The last thing you want to be doing is thinking "which camera? what lens is on what?" or "hold on while I..."

For that sort of photography, I'd recommend settling on the 50mm focal length which is a do anything fov. If it were me, it'd be 40mm because I prefer it (and love my 1.2 Nokton), but the M9 with the 50 will do the trick. Fuji wise, I have the X-T2 with the 35mm f/1.4 but the AF on it is a bit slow, so I'd consider the f/2 version for "grab & go". Not sure what you're doing in the menus with the Fujis but I find them exceptional for "set & done" setups. Also not sure what you mean by "boring" when referring to the lenses.

Don't over think it. It's not about the gear, it's about the memories. In the years to come, having images with a bit of noise you can only see zoomed in at 100% will be meaningless. You'll likely have a million photos and no time to look at them anyway. Just having the images wil be priceless. You want a setup that you know how to operate quickly and reliably so that you can get the photos. Both Leica and Fuji (would) hit that button (for me).

Good point, perhaps I'm just getting a bit of GAS and using it as an excuse :). I do prefer 40mm, quite close to 35mm frame-lines. I used the 35mm 1.4 on an X-Pro1, so just assumed the AF was a bit slow due to that body, good to know it's a little slow on the X-T2. Potentially that's throwing the X100V into the mix with a TCL, I had a trip to Thailand with the X70+WCL & X100T + TCL and that was a great combo!

What a terrible position to be in as a photographer in 2020... all this choice & some amazing (bargain) older systems!

woof woof - I'll also give the Sonys another look, I never used them for native lenses just as a high-ISO platform for the Leica glass (adapted). Thinking it through that could be a good option again, I could still use the existing lenses with some of the benefits that the body brings, but also add in some native AF lenses! Maybe I was a bit harsh on the UI!

I'm a fan of manual lenses myself but I think that AF is the way to go and specifically AF with eye/face detect and the ability to focus anywhere in the frame for composition and these things point to mirrorless.

I've just been looking at some baby pictures I've taken with FF and a 50mm lens and for a half body picture at f4 one eye is clearly drifting out of the DoF so that tells me I won't need f1.4 or anything like it and the lighter and cheaper 50/85mm f1.8 option will do the job.

There are other options than Sony these days but if looking at Sony I'd look at the excellent 55mm f1.8 and/or the also good 85mm f1.8. I don't know for sure but I'd guess that similar lenses exist for the other mirrorless systems.

Last edited:
What about the X100 range - I have often taken just the T or now the F out with me and its great for most shots, although the XT3 is a lovely camera too.

I'm a fan of manual lenses myself but I think that AF is the way to go and specifically AF with eye/face detect and the ability to focus anywhere in the frame for composition and these things point to mirrorless.

I've just been looking at some baby pictures I've taken with FF and a 50mm lens and for a half body picture at f4 one eye is clearly drifting out of the DoF so that tells me I won't need f1.4 or anything like it and the lighter and cheaper 50/85mm f1.8 option will do the job.

There are other options than Sony these days but if looking at Sony I'd look at the excellent 55mm f1.8 and/or the also good 85mm f1.8. I don't know for sure but I'd guess that similar lenses exist for the other mirrorless systems.

Looking at the prices those lenses are very reasonable, going to read a few reviews...

Hopefully I can give you some advice based on my experience. The couple of years you can pretty much use any system, baby’s don’t move or do anything much so you won’t need blisteringly fast AF although eye AF is useful. You’ll find yourself shooting indoors more than you think so think about having fast glass and a camera with good high iso.

It’s really when they are 2 and above you need a fast AF system, especially when they learn the joys of running and start on the scooter’s and bikes. I’m currently using a Sony A6400 with the Sigma 1.4’ trio which has served me very well. The CAF system is on point.

One thing you’ll realise is the amount of baby stuff you have to take with you when you go out, suddenly the camera bag becomes abit of a burden.

Back