Newborn Photography props

Name
Daniel
Edit My Images
No
I'm looking to take some newborn photos of my baby boy when he arrives in August, I'm just wondering where people get their props from for shoots?

Looking on amazon there seem to be a lot of wraps etc but I'm after some actual props to use or advice on best things to use in a shoot of this kind?

Any advice will be appreciated!

Hi
If you haven't done newborn photography before I would really strongly recommend against any props - it's a simple matter of safety. If you've not got experience and / or training there is so much that can go wrong very easily it's just not worth the risk. I'm not someone who thinks that no-one should even attempt 'proper' newborn shots of their babies, but having done it for quite a while myself I know that there is just so much that goes into the usual shots that newborn togs produce without it being obvious what was necessary to obtain that shot, the pitfalls are many and the consequences pretty dire if it does start to go wrong and you don't have the experience to deal with it or avoid it in the first place.

Instead, why not go for something easily manageable and safe such as decent wrapped shots or parent & newborn shots - not without their issues, but safer than the sole newborn ones. Posing with parents is something that you can research fairly easily, and it really is worth spending time practising with a doll (daft as it sounds / feels!). Wrapped babies tend to be more settled, and as long as your surface is suitable, it's safer than the more advanced stuff that many newborn togs show.

Please do loads of research, and even approach newborn togs out of your area to see if they'll offer some advice.
Please don't just buy some props and give it a try, even with research - it really does take training to safely do the prop shots as a rule.
Regards
Jim

Back