Newborn phtotography tips?

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
My daughter will be here soon, been reading and watching youtube, probably too much, I have a bean bag, a clothes rail to hang a fluffy blanket on with clamps and a big reflector! Also got myself a new addition to the camera family for the occasion (85mm 1.2) and was just wanted to now if anyone has any tips for me?

I'm also getting a hat off etsy for that extra special cute hat!! I just don't want to forget anything...

I was thinking a 50 1.4 would be a good addition or maybe the 50 2.5 macro/60mm macro, any other lenses?

I am in the same situation. Baby on the way in February. I had a practice the other day with my friends baby with 35mm on my D7000 and found it to be too short. I would say 50mm would be a better choice. Similar view to a 85mm on full frame which is good for portraits or so I have read.

I was thinking about getting extension tubes to focus closer with a 50 1.4, maybe a 35mm too but didn't really know

Heaters at the ready! Would a water bottle before I put her on the beanbag be a good idea too? Or is that tooooo warm?

I think the 35 1.4 might be worth a look, I've had my eye on it for a bit, just to convince the mrs it's an investment to capture memories of our daughter ;)

Having the room feel a bit warm for you will be better for the baby. Depends how clothed they are too. I am using the capture memories line as well to be able to buy new stuff.

Shorts for me and it is a wonderful excuse, I'm adding a couple of red rings to my bag :)

Never done a newborn shoot, and the style and subject doesn't enthuse me.... but I understand you need to have plenty of wipes on hand, and plenty of backup materials for wherever your subject is lying

Bayrunner said:
Never done a newborn shoot, and the style and subject doesn't enthuse me.... but I understand you need to have plenty of wipes on hand, and plenty of backup materials for wherever your subject is lying

Blankets, clothes and wipes are already in abundance in this house!

Iris said:
the 50mm 2.5 is a fab lens for portraiture on a crop camera :)

I'm enjoying the 35 and 85 combo! Still deciding on the 50 or 50+extension tube then I can use the tube with the other lenses as well.

Blankets, clothes and wipes are already in abundance in this house!

I'm enjoying the 35 and 85 combo! Still deciding on the 50 or 50+extension tube then I can use the tube with the other lenses as well.

How do you get on with a 85 on a crop sensor? I always thought it would be too long?

As she isn't born yet, I've just been taking a few pictures around the house, I posted a couple of photos in this thread using the 85

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=443263

I've been enjoying the 1.2 more than the 85 but i think it works with the 35, anything I can't take with either, I'll use the 24-70 for, I have an extension tube on its way too to try and get a bit closer focus

Last edited:
As she isn't born yet, I've just been taking a few pictures around the house, I posted a couple of photos in this thread using the 85

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=443263

I've been enjoying the 1.2 more than the 85 but i think it works with the 35, anything I can't take with either, I'll use the 24-70 for, I have an extension tube on its way too to try and get a bit closer focus

Cheers think I might try my current lens stuck to 85mm and see what it's like or if it feels too long before i splash some cash.

Like the setup you have for photoing the baby on. looks good. Hopefully I can set something up similar near a window.

I tried to copy what all the youtube videos had and I already had most things, I fleece cover or knitted cover would've probably been cheaper but I just liked the way the fur looked and was easily the biggest expense, if I didn't have the beanbag I would've used the sofa... For Christmas, I'm gonna put some lights behind the bed and try and blur them out with baubles and stuff, basically the clichès you see on all their websites haha

A nice warm room if you plan to take baby's clothes off, a full tummy helps as this makes them sleepy. Loads of patience and soothing them back to sleep if they become unsettled.

Depending on the space you would certainly get away with the 50mm, I use my 85mm for almost everything including newborns.

There's also an app you can download called white noise for soothing and aiding sleep for babies.

What others have said already, keep the place really warm, soothing music in the background and loads of patience, depending on the style of baby
photography you are going for it could take hours, I have just started newborn photography after having my arms twisted in to it and so far it is getting easier
after every shoot. Have a look at my portrait site under newborn.

The most important thing is not to care about getting the perfect shot. Sound weird by my son arrived in June. I found it hard to take photos as I put too much pressure on myself to make anything shot with my DSLR perfect.

Of course I have plenty of iphone snaps, but the first 8 weeks I did not shoot enough with my DSLR. Shoot everything, forget perfection and the cute hats etc. One of these shoots every few months is fine, but shoot high quality snapshots of your baby as often as you can. If you have a kit lens and carp light, shoot it anyway. You will regret it if you don't. I have gotten over this, but I would hate anyone to make the mistake I did for the first cpl months.

Im no expert as just starting out but 2 things ive found useful....I use potty training bed mats under blankets. It stops the little accidents going through to your beanbag. If its a normal beanbag and not a newborn posing one you might find it squishes too much and the baby sinks into the middle. You can use a thick hair band to tie the bottom, push the beans to the top then tie excess material at the bottom to make it firmer (hope that makes sense!)

Thanks for the help :)

I've clamped the underneath of the beanbag to make it firm and then I put pillows on it but I will include something for little accidents, just in case

Greetings,

I'm after some advice! For my 2nd baby shoot.

I've just recently got a new flash and i will be using bounce flash if the lighting is poor etc as ive not used it in this situation as of yet.

Where is a good place to get props from?

Just looking mainly at youtube/google for ideas some poses are very odd! lol..

Mp4

Look at Mank's shots, he's a bit if an expert in this area.

Rite I've got 3 sons and only had my dslr a few wks when my youngest was born so never got any great new born shoots. But my Si has just had her 1st baby (son) **** ;)
And I no shed love sum new born "set up" pics, I've got a d3100, sb400 speedlight, nikon 50 1.4, sigma 10-20, and 70-300. Gusse the 50 is the only real option for this unless I get rite bk and use the micro on the 70-300 for detail bits?!? Do u think a eBay reflector is worth the tenner?

I've got a cheapy eBay reflector and it does the job. People use all sorts..... Polystyrene boards, tin foil etc

Spend more and you'll maybe get better build quality but for occasional use the foldaway reflectors are great

If you look in the people and portraits critique section there's a big post about setups etc that should help with props etc

Last edited:
Thanks I'm lookin at them now on the bay, but ill have the use white board or a sheet if need as I'm goin to do this 2mora :)

And more tips guy?

There's sessions on Creative Live this weekend.

Worth a watch.

Back