North England Newcastle

Marc

TPer Emeritus
Edit My Images
Yes
Going to have a few days to kill in Newcastle in June. Probably staying in Seaton Burn but will have the car with me.

Bear in mind that I have limited mobility, what's around on photographic interest? Coastal would be nice but inland would be good as well.

Well of course there's the Quayside, Baltic and the millennium bridge. Just outside there's the Angel. Further north and you have Whitley bay with St Mary's lighthouse and the old ruins at Tynemouth. Not actually from or even near to Newcastle so probably some better suggestions from the locals :)

Steve

From Seaton Burn it's 2 roads to Seaton Sluice. Just South of there you have St Mary's Island. You have the entire coast available - Bamburgh, Craster, Dunstanburgh.

Inland you have the National Park. It's a relatively easy drive to Wooler, Harthope Burn etc.

The city itself is quite compact. Grainger Town is nice but it does have some steep streets.

Hmm, the steep streets are worth mentioning as they lead down to the "best bits", but you can drive over any of the bridges and park near most areas. unless you get lost :)

If you avoid the steep lanes down to the quayside, the city centre itself is almost flat.Monument, grainger market, blackfriars ...

The city centre is basically 2 flat areas, 1 large and one small (Quayside) with a steep bit in between. The large Regency area, the main shopping street, the Central Arcade etc. are all accessible and there's a bus down to the Quayside.

If you like architecture it's the largest Regency area outside London centred around the Theatre Royal.

PS the New Castle is on a flat bit and can be photographed from some angles (most tourists don't find it). But I doubt the inside is accessible.

Not sure what type of photography you prefer but if you want something different from the buildings, Washington Wetlands Centre has a variety of birdlife, and otters. I have frequently pushed a wheelchair round there and quite a lot is accessible although some parts may be a bit steep if you're unassisted with a manual wheelchair.

The Sage is a great place for photography and there are no restrictions except in the concert halls during performances. Tripods are no problem. If you prefer older buildings then St Nicholas Cathedral is good.

Also consider Beamish Museum, good accessibility and lots of Victorian / Georgian / Edwardian stuff and people interest.

As regards the coast, Blyth south harbour may be of interest for piers / boats, there's the bathing huts at Blyth south beach, with an excellent ice cream cafe near by. North Shields fish quay is accessible.

Hope you enjoy your trip.

Last edited:
Just had some more names thrown at me. Lindisfarne looks like a good place to visit although I've just seen the timings for the tides/causeway. I'd need to go on Friday 13th to get the most time on the island (have until 13:30). Enough time to make it worthwhile? Will be an hour's drive each way.

Fortunately, I've had a steroid injecion in my knee which has reduced the pain, allowing me to excercise the leg so I may be a little more mobile than I thought which would mean a stick instead of the chair. :)

Back