NGC7822 - In colour

Name
Sara
Edit My Images
Yes
NGC78222 is a young star forming region in the constellation of Cepheus approximately 3000 light years away.

This is approximately 19 hours worth of total exposure, each individual exposure is 30 minutes. This is a false colour image, so not the real colour if we could see it, pioneered originally by Hubble, hence its called a Hubble palette.

NGC7822 in Hubble palette
por swag72, en Flickr

I think the images are amazing (I'm a physicist and I know my astrophysics colleagues would love these).

My only comment is that when I see other types of images on here that are this good, they inspire me to try and do something similar. With these, I know I don't have a chance in hell of replicating anything like them.

My only comment is that when I see other types of images on here that are this good, they inspire me to try and do something similar. With these, I know I don't have a chance in hell of replicating anything like them.

It's an expensive and time consuming hobby if you want to produce images of a good standard. You'd need to start with everything new, a DSLR certainly won't cut it for this type of work. If I try to think about the amount that my current kit has cost it's well in excess of £10k and that doesn't include all the upgrades that I've made along the way to get to where I am.

If you are interested then get onto an astronomy forum - There's loads of beginners tips and help and really for starters you don't need good kit, but you did say about producing decent images :D

Fantastic image. The detail and contrast is amazing. Thanks for sharing.

I wish I had the time and more importantly the money to take photos like this one. My SW130P and Canon 450D not quite up to producing pictures like this!

It's an f/5, but I have to use a 2x Barlow or my DSLR won't focus. :-( It's fine for Planetary work but not really for DSOs. I also need to get a motor as I'm really restricted to sub 1/2 second pictures to avoid trailing.

You can get some excellent Milky Way images at this time of year - Wide field on a normal tripod, you can probably get to 30-60s without any trailing.

NGC78222 is a young star forming region in the constellation of Cepheus approximately 3000 light years away.

This is approximately 19 hours worth of total exposure, each individual exposure is 30 minutes. This is a false colour image, so not the real colour if we could see it, pioneered originally by Hubble, hence its called a Hubble palette.

NGC7822 in Hubble palette
por swag72, en Flickr
Wowza!
Just read your post...what were u shooting with?

Last edited:
Excellent, well done (y)

And a :clap: for your patience

Wowza!
Just read your post...what were u shooting with?

I use an astro cooled mono camera, telescope and tracking mount.

Thanks all for your thoughts on this one - Glad that you like it. No patience involved really - I just set it all running and go to bed then do the same for the next few nights :D

That's beautiful, and the amount of work and planning that went into it is as worthy of praise, if not more, than the image itself. What was the camera attached to? Was it full spectrum or a normal exposure?

Thanks Jon!

The camera is a mono camera, specifically for astronomy. It cools to -45 degrees below ambient as this helps to combat noise in the long 30 minute exposures. Looks nothing like a 'real' camera!!! You can see the camera here http://swagastro.weebly.com/uploads/2/3/3/7/23377322/qsisxao.jpg - Its the blue box and also incorporates a filter wheel and a guiding capability - Without which I'd not be able to get a long exposure.

The camera is attached to a short focal length scope (330mm) and then on a tracking mount.

Cool looking machine (pun intended). How do you get the different colours? Astro photography is something I'm planning on doing when I retire.
Do you have a link where I can look at more of your astro-photo's? I love looking at nebulas etc, I spend quite a bit of time looking at Hubble images.

You get the different colours by combining different filters in Photoshop. Every image is mono and only when you combine them as an RGB image do they become colour. If you are planning on doing astrophotography to a good standard then you do need to spend some serious cash. A tracking mount alone will set you back as much as £750 and that is the cheapest recommended. They can go up to £10k plus.

I do have more images on my Flickr and website (www.swagastro.weebly.com)

Back