Nifty Fifty Challenge 2024 - Chat thread

Just to be clear, it's 50mm equivalent? ie not specifically a camera with 50mm lens only?
Hope everyone is OK with this, I know not everyone may have a 50 prime.

I think anything used that almost matches 50mm FL on FF is fine, prime or zoom.

Canon crop (1.6) + 35mm prime or set at 30mm on a zoom lens etc.. :)

Last edited:
I assumed as much. Being my closest is Fuji 35mm :)

Ok so playing devils advicate here could I use a 50mm on a canon crop which will give a ff equivilant of 80mm and then crop it to give approx 50mm ff view hmmmm too naughty not in the spirit of the game me thinks????

Ok so playing devils advicate here could I use a 50mm on a canon crop which will give a ff equivilant of 80mm and then crop it to give approx 50mm ff view hmmmm too naughty not in the spirit of the game me thinks????

No, not unless you can add in extra material around the image afterwards. You may need to think about what you just suggested. :)

No AI, before anyone suggests it :LOL:
Ahh but what defines AI? Technically content aware fill, could be considered AI ;)

I have done this in previous years, certainly up for week 50, not sure about monthly.

Ahh but what defines AI? Technically content aware fill, could be considered AI ;)
Content aware fill is AI.

In previous years the spirit of the the challenge has been as close to straight out of the camera as is reasonable but its Gav's call.

I have done this in previous years, certainly up for week 50, not sure about monthly.

Content aware fill is AI.

In previous years the spirit of the the challenge has been as close to straight out of the camera as is reasonable but its Gav's call.
Cool, thanks for clarifying that one (even though it's fun winding up Gav ;)) (y)

It was mainly content aware fill or Gen' fill that I was referancing because of the cropping/adding chat ;)

Last edited:
(y)
I was thinking as pure as possible, while trying to keep it open to allow more to join in if and when they like.

Just had a thought, for those who might be thinking one a month isn't enough. You could always try 24 for 24 (instead of 12) ;)

Or join in with DPOTY too ;)
Too much pressure... One a month is ample for me at the moment. Having just moved up to Norwich, the wife has given me a list that`s longer than Santa`s ;)

Is it just one image we post or more if we do have more?
On the monthly, it'll be one, for images taken and posted this week, post away, as it's just for fun :)

Sounds like fun. Nikon 50mm F/1.4 fits the billy nicely :)

Hmmmm also have a 35mm F2 for my 1.5 crop Fuji things. Does that count?

Pretty sure I know the answer but...

What about accoutrements for the lens (extension tube, bellows, Raynox, teleconverter,...)?

Pretty sure I know the answer but...

What about accoutrements for the lens (extension tube, bellows, Raynox, teleconverter,...)?
wouldnt those affect the focal length?
ie it's not about using a 50mm (ff) specifically, but using a focal length on whatever you have to produce a photo at 50mm equivalent?

It is about the 50mm focal length on FF (or combinations to get that on crop bodies), many people started out with a nifty fifty, this is about keeping it simple and working with that FL.

wouldnt those affect the focal length?
Bellows & extension tubes don't - they affect the distance of the focal plane behind the axis of the lens - demonstrably still the same focal length lens though...

Bellows & extension tubes don't - they affect the distance of the focal plane behind the axis of the lens - demonstrably still the same focal length lens though...
But they change the effective focal length.

Are you planning on taking part?

I would hope that a reasonable person can see the spirit of the challenge - i.e. shoot on basic kit with a lens that gives roughly the same field of view as the human eye.

Are you planning on taking part?
I found that any challange I've ever run someone is always looking for an angle or trying to disrupt the spirit of the the thing. It's not as though there are prizes to be had.

Back