Night Owls.....

Name
Leigh-Ann
Edit My Images
No
I am lucky enough to live in Rural Aberdeenshire and discovering i am surrounded by Owls, both Tawny and Barn Owls are becoming regular visitors to my property so after many cold nights sitting in the dark i have have been lucky enough to photograph this beautiful male Tawny Owl and i think female Barn Owl...... Night photography is a real challenge but very rewarding....... light is from my property no flash was used......

NIGHT OWL by Leigh-Ann Mitchell, on Flickr

ITS OWL GOOD by Leigh-Ann Mitchell, on Flickr

You've certainly risen to the challenge of night photography here, Leigh-Ann (y)
- a couple of lovely portraits with lots of detail and atmosphere against those dark backgrounds. A minor crit from me would be they are quite central in the frame, but I guess you have your reasons :)

Russ

Thank you it’s certainly a challenge but one I’m enjoying, I’m using my 100-400 mm so they are pretty much filling the frame only a slight crop on the Tawny and you just have to go with where they land not much time to wait for them move to a better position but it’s wonderful to have them visiting Owls are my favourite :)

1/50 and iso 12800 on that barnie. Leigh-Ann all credit. the fact that you have gone there with the techs to avoid the flash is awesome for me. With an owls eye being so sensitive I think that choice is very hard ( for an image maker) but very wise choice and you have my deep admiration for making it.

Ha the images are stonking given those techs, you rock kiddo !!!!!!:D

Leigh-Ann I wonder if you could pull back a little bit on the zoom ,especially for the barnie,even if you didn't want to show more perch,if there is clean bkg above ,fella wants a bit of space to breath for me. I love the scratches on the tawny perch and the look,I adore tawny olws eye,something magical about those deep black pools.I'm also with Russ maybe pull them off center a bit at capture,but these are nits,Oh a little thing is the tawny a bit green???? I have no idea how a tawny should look under artificial light,or whether we should represent that as what one might see in the day,which is what I guess is making me ask.

Love it mate, love your care and the use of the tools to get the above. Well deserved,really inspriring too. !!

please
more;)

take care
stu

Wow, great shots. Last couple of visits to my place in Scotland I’ve seen a tawny owl and two barn owls. But alas I was driving. They are definitely on my photo list for this year. That’s amazing how you have caught them in the ambient light from your house.

1/50 and iso 12800 on that barnie. Leigh-Ann all credit. the fact that you have gone there with the techs to avoid the flash is awesome for me. With an owls eye being so sensitive I think that choice is very hard ( for an image maker) but very wise choice and you have my deep admiration for making it.

Ha the images are stonking given those techs, you rock kiddo !!!!!!:D

Leigh-Ann I wonder if you could pull back a little bit on the zoom ,especially for the barnie,even if you didn't want to show more perch,if there is clean bkg above ,fella wants a bit of space to breath for me. I love the scratches on the tawny perch and the look,I adore tawny olws eye,something magical about those deep black pools.I'm also with Russ maybe pull them off center a bit at capture,but these are nits,Oh a little thing is the tawny a bit green???? I have no idea how a tawny should look under artificial light,or whether we should represent that as what one might see in the day,which is what I guess is making me ask.

Love it mate, love your care and the use of the tools to get the above. Well deserved,really inspriring too. !!

please
more;)

take care
stu

Thank you...... wildlife photography in the dark is very new to me so I’m learning each night and it’s pretty much trial and error, I know cranking up the iso risks noise and loss of quality in the image but under the light conditions it seems to be paying off? I think the green tinge on the Tawny is due to noise but I will try another edit to see if I can further reduce it, the Tawny comes to another area at my property where I have a perch set up for my garden birds the lighting is less here but the Barnie was taken on my patio wall where she was pretty much sitting under the light and caught me by surprise so I just grabbed the camera and fired off some shots.... I used to be afraid to up my iso but I’m slowly learning that sometimes you just have to be brave and go for it lol..... The Tawnys are here most evenings so fingers crossed for more opportunities but I am thrilled to have the chance to photograph them ! I will try pulling back and try not to centre them but sometimes in the excitement everything goes out the window and you take what your given, I will keep working away but I’m taking my time with them and working with the light I have I don’t even own a flash so I’m sticking with the 6 D at the moment as it’s great in low light.... thanks again for the comments I take it all on board and will try to improve :)

Wow, great shots. Last couple of visits to my place in Scotland I’ve seen a tawny owl and two barn owls. But alas I was driving. They are definitely on my photo list for this year. That’s amazing how you have caught them in the ambient light from your house.

Thank you we have some wonderful wildlife up here and living rural certainly helps I can’t quite believe I have the opportunity to photograph them, I absolutely love Owls :ty:

The Tawny is a bird I've never photographed in the wild (there are a lot of others as well), but one I would very much like to photograph in my local area, we hear them often but see them rarely, it's the one owl that keeps very much to the night, very well done, you are indeed lucky to have such wonderful garden visitors :)

The Tawny is a bird I've never photographed in the wild (there are a lot of others as well), but one I would very much like to photograph in my local area, we hear them often but see them rarely, it's the one owl that keeps very much to the night, very well done, you are indeed lucky to have such wonderful garden visitors :)

Thank you I have herd them for many years at night but never seen them during the day i discovered we had them on checking one of my trail cameras where is makes regular night visits..... we must have a great vole population as it will sit watching and waiting on them you can see all the vole holes in the rough grass area! It’s a real joy having them here :)

Back