Night Photography

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

I'm from Wolverhampton and I was hoping to get a location not too far away for some good shots of the sky.

I'm not sure of the criteria I need, as this is new to me, but basically, I want to try and shoot the Milky Way or at least get some good star trails in a non-light poluted area.

I also tried Beacon point in Walsall - it's closed most of the time! >.<

Where would people recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Tom.

Last edited:
hiya depends how far you want to travel, but from a few meanderings around worcester and wolverhampton area then try clee hill ( cleobury mortimer), cannock chase (not sure), malvern hills( but ledbury side). otherwise travelling further into wales or up onto cotswplds around stow on the wold. I too have been wondering about this but not got as far as trying yet. even closer to you would be kinver edge? As far as I know this subject is a go for a drive and find it. Supposedly the best place in the uk is in Derbyshire somewhere, it was on a sky at night programme once. Nick

Right were to start :D

It's not really the best time of year for milky way photo's the optimum time of the year would be June-August really with is a real PITA really as it's also some of the shortest nights :bang: and to get the best photo's you'll want to get as far away from the light pollution as possible, that said it is possible to get a photo of the milky way outside of the above months it just gets a bit harder and it's also possible to get a photo of it in areas with light pollution of course getting to a location with at little pollution as possible will always help (y)

This was actually shot in early November so well out of the optimum time frame and in one of the most light polluted parts of the UK going so it shows it is possible

286/366 (651) by mwhcvt, on Flickr

I'll admit it's not the most amazing MW photo maybe not even in the top million photo's of the MW but it shows it's possible (y)

Location wise check out this website/map HERE to get and idea of light pollution levels and then look for a nice location to head to (y)

Now to the actual settings:

On your camera a 50mm lens (eqv. of 80mm), now there is something called the 600 rule for getting an image without the stars starting to trail, this is quite basic but works well, taking the 600 and dividing that by your focal length in 35mm format that will give the number of seconds that you can expose for without star trails showing 600/80 this gives you a 7.5 second exposure to avoid trails

So let's say you need a 7.5 second exposure (round it up to 8 to be easy (y) you then need to thing about letting in enough light to pick everything up, now this is a balance of aperture and ISO, personally I never shoot wide open on the aperture when using a fast lens, most of my star images have been shot between f/3.5 and f/5.6 but for your instance if we stick to the f/2.8 aperture then you need to set the ISO to a high enough level to expose the scene without noise taking over the scene. It's all about striking up the right balance (y) personally I'd use a shorter focal length to increase the time you can expose (y)

now how to do it, if you need a time that is available in your cameras programmed shutter speeds then you can set up the exposure values in manual, and then set a shutter delay and press the shutter to then take a exposure 2-10 seconds after you've pressed the shutter giving the camera/tripod to avoid camera shake (y)

Ideally the best solution however would be to use a wired or wireless trigger to fire the camera, there will be a counter on the camera to show how long your exposure has been if your using bulb (y) but I don't think that you'd ever really need to use bulb as I cannot think of a time when you'd use a exposure longer than 30 seconds unless we start down the telescope and motor mount but that's a whole different ball game ;)

You may find it helpful to give my star trails guide a read as it may answer any other questions you may have you can find details of that in my signature (y)

Matt
MWHCVT

Get high up as you can, maybe over in the peak district? im looking to do a star trail once the weather permits

Mike the weather has permitted star trails virtually all of the bank holiday weekend ;)

Mike the weather has permitted star trails virtually all of the bank holiday weekend ;)

was too cold here lol and l Had to drive for 4 hours to take a photo of a beach, which ended up being the coldest part of the UK that day, according to the news when we got back :(

you definitely sound a more hardened togger than I do lol

was too cold here lol and l Had to drive for 4 hours to take a photo of a beach, which ended up being the coldest part of the UK that day, according to the news when we got back :(

you definitely sound a more hardened togger than I do lol

I'll admit scaling a drift of snow taller than myself to do a star trail last friday was a little extream but it has to be done and the end result was worth it :D

I'll admit scaling a drift of snow taller than myself to do a star trail last friday was a little extream but it has to be done and the end result was worth it :D

I agree! I am quite new to photography, my first trail probably won't be worth catching ammonia for lol but if I can produce fine trails that I have seen posted here then i'd sit and snap in any weather

I agree! I am quite new to photography, my first trail probably won't be worth catching ammonia for lol but if I can produce fine trails that I have seen posted here then i'd sit and snap in any weather

Hating to be a self publicist but have you given my guide to star trails a read, it should help you a lot as its written to be for people of all levels of experience in photography (y) and if you've got any questions be sure to post them there as I'll be able to help as much as I can (y)

Hating to be a self publicist but have you given my guide to star trails a read, it should help you a lot as its written to be for people of all levels of experience in photography (y) and if you've got any questions be sure to post them there as I'll be able to help as much as I can (y)

Thanks for this, that's very kind. I haven't read yours yet I'm affraid, but I will be sure to give it a good read, to be honest I have only read one tutorial of how to do it.

I have a nice 10-20mm lens, and a camera more than capable of setting the shots on a timer, I have a few locations in mind that would make an interesting shoot, one being a war memorial over near Matlock, which is nice and high up to

hiya depends how far you want to travel, but from a few meanderings around worcester and wolverhampton area then try clee hill ( cleobury mortimer), cannock chase (not sure), malvern hills( but ledbury side). otherwise travelling further into wales or up onto cotswplds around stow on the wold. I too have been wondering about this but not got as far as trying yet. even closer to you would be kinver edge? As far as I know this subject is a go for a drive and find it. Supposedly the best place in the uk is in Derbyshire somewhere, it was on a sky at night programme once. Nick
Yeah, I thought about Cannock Chase TBH. Hopefully I wont get mistaken for a Dogger! Cheers for those, I'll look into a few of them before the meteor shower later this month. :D Also, welcome to the forum!

It's not really the best time of year for milky way photo's the optimum time of the year would be June-August really with is a real PITA really as it's also some of the shortest nights :bang: and to get the best photo's you'll want to get as far away from the light pollution as possible, that said it is possible to get a photo of the milky way outside of the above months it just gets a bit harder and it's also possible to get a photo of it in areas with light pollution of course getting to a location with at little pollution as possible will always help (y)
First of all, thanks for such an awesome reply! I didn't know there was peak times for this sort of stuff. I'll use this non-peak time to hone my skills, ready for the big day haha.

Location wise check out this website/map HERE to get and idea of light pollution levels and then look for a nice location to head to (y)
Gosh, that's comprehensive! I'll probably use a mix-up of this and what Nick said haha.

On your camera a 50mm lens (eqv. of 80mm), now there is something called the 600 rule for getting an image without the stars starting to trail, this is quite basic but works well, taking the 600 and dividing that by your focal length in 35mm format that will give the number of seconds that you can expose for without star trails showing 600/80 this gives you a 7.5 second exposure to avoid trails

So let's say you need a 7.5 second exposure (round it up to 8 to be easy (y) you then need to thing about letting in enough light to pick everything up, now this is a balance of aperture and ISO, personally I never shoot wide open on the aperture when using a fast lens, most of my star images have been shot between f/3.5 and f/5.6 but for your instance if we stick to the f/2.8 aperture then you need to set the ISO to a high enough level to expose the scene without noise taking over the scene. It's all about striking up the right balance (y) personally I'd use a shorter focal length to increase the time you can expose (y)
That makes sense. Would you not recommend to shoot at a slightly lower F stop, like 7/8 to take in a little more data? I'm no expect, clearly, I just read it once or twice...

now how to do it, if you need a time that is available in your cameras programmed shutter speeds then you can set up the exposure values in manual, and then set a shutter delay and press the shutter to then take a exposure 2-10 seconds after you've pressed the shutter giving the camera/tripod to avoid camera shake (y)

Ideally the best solution however would be to use a wired or wireless trigger to fire the camera, there will be a counter on the camera to show how long your exposure has been if your using bulb (y) but I don't think that you'd ever really need to use bulb as I cannot think of a time when you'd use a exposure longer than 30 seconds unless we start down the telescope and motor mount but that's a whole different ball game ;)
Haha the last part of that may as well be in French haha. I do have a tripod and shutter release, so I think I'm good to go. It's a little more technical than I gave it credit for, but I understand everything you said. I'll have a play on my Balcony before I make the chilly trip out into the middle of nowhere.

Again, Matt, thanks very much for such a comprehensive reply. I got way more than I bargained for and I really appreciate it!

Thanks!

Back