Night sky noise

Looking at your exif data it says you are using ISO 12800 with a 6 second exposure. Turn you ISO down to the minimum to and use a longer shutter speed. It also looks like you have a bit of camera shake. You may need a stiffer tripod or use MUP and a shutter release.

My camera only allows an IR shutter release (which i have acquired) but i never use it, i only ever use the timer which i have set to 2 seconds, give that a shot as well as the above.

The tripod looks fine to me, the elongated stars are due to the earths rotation.

A number of things you can do.

• Stack multiple images. There are a number of pieces of software to do this - I used to use DeepSkyStacker
  • Use longer exposure/lower ISO
  • Take dark frames (same shutter speed, same ISO, same temperature but the lens cap on) and load them into the star stacking software
  • Improve on the mount you are using
  • Go somewhere where you have dark skies away from light pollution

Also realise that great deep sky photography is very expensive - you need to be thinking several hundred £ just for the mount, let alone decent 'scopes/guiding... If you want to get into astro imaging, I'd recommend signing up at http://stargazerslounge.com

Crazy high iso,

2 min job, made a quick mask from the Alpha channels (red) Made a duplicate of the original, NR the bejeezus out of it, two passes of Noiseware stuck the mask on it.

Then adjusted the layer opacity to give a compramise between noise and quality (never done any astrophotography so a complete shot in the dark.)

To finish a quick curve to darken the blacks.

but yeah.....the ISO is really HIGH!!

before

after

Wow Shaun, that is pretty much what I was after.

I've looked in at deep sky photography and for the moment I'll happily not go that far, it was just the fact I spotted this during a shot I was taking of the milky way and grabbed a 70-200mm to get a closer look.

Thanks for the extra tips, I took a few dark frames that night so will download some staking software and give it a bash

Wow Shaun, that is pretty much what I was after. I've looked in at deep sky photography and for the moment I'll happily not go that far, it was just the fact I spotted this during a shot I was taking of the milky way and grabbed a 70-200mm to get a closer look. Thanks for the extra tips, I took a few dark frames that night so will download some staking software and give it a bash

Sure np :)

Glad it helped, if there is anything your not sure on just let me know

Shaun

Back