Night sky photography

Name
duncan
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys
Tried to take some night shots last night of the meteor shower and my images came out orange could anyone give me any pointers as I'm at a bit of a loss,thanks

Dark sky is the ideal, but setting the white balance is my reality! Works surprisingly well, but doesn't change the fact the light pollution is there, just tones it down to more bearable colour.

There are none near me on that map in rural North Wales but there's a dark sky site in the middle of Birmingham. I'm confused.
Did you click and read the sites? They're largely astronomy groups/locations so I suspect will be more located to either easily accessible areas or local parks.

It sounds as suggested light pollution short of getting away from the pollution your best bet it to process it out as much as you can (y) if you post an example it will be possible to confirm the issue and advise of countering it (y)

Cheers guys

Im sure i set the wb to tungsten but it just looked orange on wotever setting so maybe the light pollution is stronger than i though :(

Cheers guys

Im sure i set the wb to tungsten but it just looked orange on wotever setting so maybe the light pollution is stronger than i though :(

Where are you based? it could be that you're a bit too urban to avoid it.

Also on a different note, with a 350D you may find the noise levels a bit too high for long exposure or low light images

Last edited:
I am in a town but on the outskirts then its bit more wild lol so i think i will try shooting raw and going out into the sticks😃 and seeing ware that gets me 👍

you can get light pollution reduction filters for telescopes/eyepieces so i'm sure you could fit them to camera lenses - they might even make specific lens filters

drew

you can get light pollution reduction filters for telescopes/eyepieces so i'm sure you could fit them to camera lenses - they might even make specific lens filters

drew

You can get clip in filters for Canon APS-C cameras. The clip inside the body behind the lens in front of the mirror. Though there's a lot of argument about how effective they are, a lot depends on exactly what is polluting your area and what the filter cuts out. What may work great in 1 location may be useless in another.

Back