Beginner Night Time Shoots

Name
Aaron
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I have recently taken up night time shooting and so far i am loving it! Its outstanding how much the naked eye cant see in the night sky.

What i am struggling to work out is how to reduce the noise in my pictures. Some of them are terrible! It seems like the more the exposure the worse it gets so i tried longer exposure and bringing the exposure levels down on lightroom and low exposure bringing the levels up. I will upload some examples later as im at work currently but id like some guidence for tonight!

How do you do star trailes aswell that fully spiral? is it a merge of lots of images or one long exposure?

I am using a Canon 400D and a Sigma 10-20mm lens

Matt's (MWHCVT) is the man you want to talk to about night shooting(y)

Just follow his guide linked above and you'll be sorted. Although I must add if you're wanting to do star trails don;t worry too much about noise in the final image because when you stack all the images together it reduces the noise, so get the ISO cranked right up to pick up the faintest stars, but not too much that you have too many stars lol.

im shooting at 1600ISO (Highest ISO posible) Thankyou very much for your replies! ill have a look at that link tonight see if i can make my pictures better (y)

Hi
play around with the ISO , you have noise because you are using as high as possible iso and thus the highest noise.
The camera might be set to auto iso put it in manual and adjust the iso up ..and watch the results.

Hi Aaron. A couple of weeks ago I wrote some blog articles about photographing the northern lights. The first one was all about how to test what ISO values your camera can use without noise being an issue. (There's no simple answer because it depends on what you're doing with the final image - printing / web use etc. - and it also depends on your personal tolerance for noise.) If it's useful, the article is here:

http://lensesforhire.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/northern-lights-part-1-testing-high-iso.html

Last edited:
Back