London Nights in London - Where to shoot?

Name
Adam
Edit My Images
Yes
I am going to be staying in London for a week due to work commitments at the end of November and was planning on filling the spare time in the evening with some night time shooting. Am based just next to Canary Wharf and was hoping people would be able to suggest some more interesting locations around there and the east end of London to shoot in the evenings?

Try the link bridge to the Poplar DLR station, the bridge linking 1 Canada Place with the new Crossrail station at Adams Place, North Dock footbridge from the steps on the southside, Canary Wharf tube station.
For a 'general view' try going to North Greenwich tube station, then walk back to Tunnel Avenue (look at this on Google Earth) - there's a slipway to the Thames - get good reflections of Canary Wharf on the water as well. Also south side of South Dock there's a footpath alongside South Dock - go as far as possible to the east a bit further on from Bella Cosa - get good night shots there. These are some of places find that work in that area, but there are plenty of building shots that can be done in the Canary Wharf zone. If approached by Canary Wharf security (they will if they see you using a tripod) just promise them that you will not photograph any building entrances or security cameras and they will be fine with that - Canary Wharf is private land.

Thanks. Will have a look into them on google maps first :)

The view from Greenwich Park is good. As is the view from the roof of 1 New Change.

If you like a bit more street than boring buildings :p go towards the east; Brick Lane from there go towards say Spital Field Market then into the City into the little alleys like towards frying pan alley and so on. Find all the back streets on a map. Lots of people about, great drinking place. Nice and safe atmosphere.

I'd also recommend to go to southbank and just walk it all the way from say Tower of London to Waterloo / House of Parliament. Great scenery and lots of people about at any time.

Enjoy.

Try the link bridge to the Poplar DLR station, the bridge linking 1 Canada Place with the new Crossrail station at Adams Place, North Dock footbridge from the steps on the southside, Canary Wharf tube station.
For a 'general view' try going to North Greenwich tube station, then walk back to Tunnel Avenue (look at this on Google Earth) - there's a slipway to the Thames - get good reflections of Canary Wharf on the water as well. Also south side of South Dock there's a footpath alongside South Dock - go as far as possible to the east a bit further on from Bella Cosa - get good night shots there. These are some of places find that work in that area, but there are plenty of building shots that can be done in the Canary Wharf zone. If approached by Canary Wharf security (they will if they see you using a tripod) just promise them that you will not photograph any building entrances or security cameras and they will be fine with that - Canary Wharf is private land.

Tunnel Avenue slipway might best be avoided at night, there a few weeks ago and the s*** strewn slipway was covered in nitrous cylinders. Dread to think what might be lurking in all the other crap, thinking maybe needles, strong footwear is advisable if you do go there.
In fact I took a photo encompassing the detritus of the slipway and Canary Wharf opposite, didn't really come off how I wanted though

Olympic Park might be worth a look if the Spammers aren't playing at their new home or a trip down to the barrier. Never been there at night so not sure if it's illuminated or not, always the old favourite that is Tower Bridge

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I've made a note of all the places to do a bit of research first. I've already done the Tower Bridge walk and it was great. That was during a sunny day though so might try it at night instead :)

My preference is anywhere along the river.
Several bridges are illuminated and offer great photo opportunities.
The usual idea of shooting around dusk, while there is still some colour in the sky applies.
One of the problems about night shooting around London is that, on a cloudy night, you get a lot of reflection of the sodium street lights in the clouds, which leads to orange - brown skies.

DLR to Bank, then Central London is your oyster via the Underground.

Regent Street and Piccadilly for Christmas decorations, etc.

Covent Garden

Maybe Westminster area for shots of the Thames including London Eye.

Area around Smithfield for very old buildings, especially immediate area around Bart's/West Smithfield/ Old Bailey.

Last edited:
Back