NIK Silver Efex

Name
David
Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

I remember a few years ago buying Nik Silver Efex, I think Google then made it a free app. Now it appears to have reverted to a paid app again... Has anyone any experience of trying to get a license re-established or are we forced to re-purchase?

DC

It was owned by Google but is now owned by DXO, no chance of getting it now for free ... unless you can find an old download site and get the Google version from way back when.

It was owned by Google but is now owned by DXO, no chance of getting it now for free ... unless you can find an old download site and get the Google version from way back when.

I have some links for the free version. I think it's still available. I downloaded it not so long ago when I got a new lap top.

https://dl.google.com/edgedl/photos/nikcollection-full-1.2.11.exe

https://dl.google.com/edgedl/photos/nikcollection-full-1.2.11.dmg

The only issue I have is that it doesn't work with CS2022 but someone posted a fix for that here recently, something to do with layers.

PS.
Nik still works with CS5 so I've kept that on my pc, just for Nik use :D

Last edited:
I believe it does work with the 2023 version of Photoshop, but you have to copy the plug in files into the plugins folder of the Adobe Program files. Hopefully this screen shot will clarify.

1670771605405.png

i.e. Install Nik package, fine whereever it installs to, and copy the entire Google Plug in directory into the Photoshop Plug-ins folder. When you next start Photohsop, the plugins should all be there for you.

Hope that helps.

I still use it for bw, I much prefere it to photoshops on bw conversions. I spent ages a while back trying to "mimic" it with PS as I find SE slow, even using a colour chart I failed to get close enough.

I believe it does work with the 2023 version of Photoshop, but you have to copy the plug in files into the plugins folder of the Adobe Program files. Hopefully this screen shot will clarify.

View attachment 375831

i.e. Install Nik package, fine whereever it installs to, and copy the entire Google Plug in directory into the Photoshop Plug-ins folder. When you next start Photohsop, the plugins should all be there for you.

Hope that helps.

I'm sure I've done this, twice, but if you know it works I'll try again. Have you done this and got it to work?

I down loaded Nik some years ago (free copy) but they continue to be available automatically as I get various Photoshop CC updates. It may be more challenging when I get round to replacing my aging PC but I do have the original downloads.

I only use Silver Effex Pro as I have not found any use for the others having already got a full set of Topaz.

Dave

I'm sure I've done this, twice, but if you know it works I'll try again. Have you done this and got it to work?
Yes indeed, the screen shot was from my PC..

Further screenshot with the selector display in PS (2023):-

1670786435647.png

Best of luck.

You will need to copy the Plug ins again when PS goes to 2024 version, as they are not automatically brought forward - I believe it is something to do with where PS stores plugins - now version by version rather than in a central Adobe repoisitory

Last edited:
You can run the free download as a standalone. I go through phases of loving and hating it, it can produce amazing results but tends to be heavy handed.

You can run the free download as a standalone. I go through phases of loving and hating it, it can produce amazing results but tends to be heavy handed.

It's probably best to use the presets as a starting point, or even just make your own from scratch to get a more 'sensible' set of results.

View attachment 375831

Hope that helps.

Exactly the same I'm afraid.

Everything installs and Nik can be called up within PS2022 and it all looks like it's working but once you exit Nik no changes are applied.

Exactly the same I'm afraid.

Everything installs and Nik can be called up within PS2022 and it all looks like it's working but once you exit Nik no changes are applied.
Hi,

Just checked and it works fine for me. When I open Nik from the selector for Siver EFX 2, apply changes, and the click OK in the bottom right corner of Nik, Nik closes and PS2023 shows the changes applied on the Nik layer. Probably not explained that very well, sorry.

Hi,

Just checked and it works fine for me. When I open Nik from the selector for Siver EFX 2, apply changes, and the click OK in the bottom right corner of Nik, Nik closes and PS2023 shows the changes applied on the Nik layer. Probably not explained that very well, sorry.

For whatever reason it's not working for me with PS2022. It looks like it works... but changes are not applied. I'll just keep using CS5 for Nik.

Thanks though.

I had the pais for Nik collection years ago and fancied playing with Silver FX again so downloaded the google version form the link above, it won't install on Monterey :(

I bought the Nik Collection just before Google made it free ( :rolleyes: ). Another iMac and MacBook later, I still have it and it works as standalone (I no longer use Adobe products)

I had the pais for Nik collection years ago and fancied playing with Silver FX again so downloaded the google version form the link above, it won't install on Monterey :(
Did you see my post with the link to instructions for Monterey (as long as you are on interl)

Reactions: zx9
Could you re-post, I can't fine them, when I try to reinstall it says I need a better version of my OS :(
It's nine posts up, or are you saying you can't find the video it linked to.

The post is here:

It's nine posts up, or are you saying you can't find the video it linked to.

The post is here:

ah apologies, I didn't realise it was the video.

David

View attachment 375831

Hope that helps.

This is awesome, I have the free Nik studio here installed on my PC but it annoys me I can't right click and edit in as it wasn't listing in the Adobe products and I had to save the image and open the Nik software separately. I'll be on this tomorrow!

Back