Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 or Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm currently borrowing a friend's Nikkor 18-70mm on my D200, with a view to possibly purchasing for £100. I have also been considering the Sigma 17-70mm as an alternative for the same sort of money. Looking at this as my everyday walkabout, and the fact that I wont be able to spend any more on this for some time (well ok maybe a 50mm f/1.8 in the near future). What do you guys recommend I do? Stick with the Nikkor, jump to the Sigma or something else completely? :shrug:

Sorry if covered before, I've searched... but not for too long

I can not comment on the sigma but I do however have the Nikkor 18-70 and the 50mm 1.8

The 18-70 is a great walkabout lens and very capable of producing good quality photos. The 50mm is also a favorite of my 3 lenses I own and is nice and sharp too. Both good value for money imo.

there isnt alot in it, ive owned both.

The sigma is better as its half a stop quicker through its range and its a mili wider.

The nikon is better because its a nikon, and IMO better build quality.

Both are SHARP

You wouldn't be disappointed with either.

The nikon is better because its a nikon

Can you explain?

The nikon is better because its a nikon

Can you explain?

Because Uncle Ken Says so, lol

To be honest theres no underlying reason why, but personally i prefer to buy the nikon version of a lens, unless cost is an issue. Others have their own preference, this is just mine.

I always had problems choosing between the two, in the end I didn't buy either lol. My d50 is just gathering dust!

Mmmmm, I was hoping somebody was going to say "Get the ***** it's way sharper, faster focusing etc.... it appears then that it's more a case of they are about the same. In which case I may go for the Sigma, as at least it is a little faster at the wide end.
Thanks for the comments so far. :)

Get the Sigma, I have both and I can safely say the Nikon stays wrapped up in bubble wrap (ready for an impending sale) because the Sigma is just a brilliant lens.

Haven't got the Nikon but my Sigma never seems to leave the Camera, its a great lens!

I have a Sigma but I've decided it has to make way for the more expensive Nikon original lol.

I was not talking new so the 17-70 f/2.8-4.5 DC MACRO not the HSM.

thats the one i had, great lens, heres a shot i did with it the day i collected it

2551608732_21fa454f77_o.jpg

Back